Chapter Twenty-Seven

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sera]

 

I swear.

 

If I have to hear another remark about my appearance, I'm going to murder everyone.

 

My ears have not been able to rest ever since I stepped foot into the school. The constant buzz in and out of the classroom threatened my self-control to not fly at the crowds that have gathered to glance at me. Apparently I'm famous now.

 

The ugly duckling is now a swan.

 

Who knew?

 

Like an animal held captive in a glass cage, crowds of girls and boys would walk past my classroom, and the numerous gazes, stares, and sometimes glares could probably ignite my body into flames if they stared hard enough.

 

"Do you think she went und–"

 

That is the last stra–

 

Ringgggggggg!

 

The lunch bell rang and I heaved a sigh of relief. That girl is lucky. Otherwise she would have... I visualised broken limbs and a twisted neck as I side-glared at the culprit.

 

"Sera?" Jieun's voice snapped me out of my horrific imagination. "Time to go."

 

I nodded and slipping my hand into hers, we made our way to the canteen.

 

“What is with everyone today!?” Jieun scowled as we neared the entrance of the canteen and were shocked to see a massive crowd of students trying to push their way in. “I’d never thought I’ll see the day the whole school eats at the canteen.”

I thought that I would get a break from being stared at, but no. On the contrary, my eardrums exploded and my self-control gradually seeped away as we journied to the canteen. The hallways were filled with students and the moment I stepped into the hallways, everyone's attention snapped to me. There were silence at first but after they registered my identity, the chatter started.

 

And so did my hell.

 

Standing at the edge, we surveyed the large crowd. There’s no way we can get in! Unless… No. You can’t. You’ll risk exposing your identity.

 

While I was contemplating my chances, I felt myself being pulled towards the backs of the students. “I found a small entrance!” My best friend wheezed, as she tried to squeeze us through a narrow gap. “C’mo- Ugh! Why are people so chubby!”

 

I stifled laughter as I followed her lead but after realising that we’re not making any progress and the proximity of some boys and I were getting uncomfortable, I took the lead. Exerting a little of my inhumane strength, we finally stumbled out of the crowd.

 

And guess what was the reason for the crowd to be stuck at the entrance?

 

Some idiot had set up a 1-for-1 bread stall right next to the ing entrance.

 

I visualised ripping out his limbs and skinning that moron alive as Jieun dragged me away; she seemingly sensed my murderous aura, I reckon.  

 

"Sera! Jieun!" A grinning Jongdae-oppa waved at us. “You guys are late.”

 

Still fuming at the senseless student, I plopped myself beside Yixing-oppa with my arms firmly crossed as Jieun settled down next to the still-grinning boy. Giving Yixing-oppa a side glance, I noticed several girls behind him glaring at me (or us) and exaggeratingly rolled my eyes at them. Their brows united and their mouths formed ‘O’s as they scarpered.

 

“Someone’s pissy.” Yixing-oppa chuckled, his finger prodding my cheek. I slapped his hand away and pursed my lips. “If only you knew how much I suffered today…”

 

Everyone’s brows rose and Jieun bit on her lower lip as I in my cheeks.

 

“Well, the food’s going to be cold if you continue to be angry.” Kyungsoo-oppa pointed to the plate of spaghetti in front of me. “So don’t be mad anymore and… eat?” He shot me one of his heart-shaped smiles and I couldn’t help but soften at his unintentional aegyo.

 

I picked up the fork, rolled a bunch of spaghetti and was about to shove it into my mouth when my best friend piped up.

 

“So did you get plastic surgery?”

 

I choked, saliva flying everywhere and the boys hurriedly avoided the droplets with looks of disgust on their faces. The spaghetti on my fork unravelled, creating a mess on the table which Sehun-oppa tried to clean.   

 

Wiping my lips, I swallowed whatever was left in my mouth and croaked at her.

 

"NO!"

 

Her brows cocked and I mock-glared at her. “I’m serious, Jieun. I definitely did not go under the knife.”

 

Disbelief was still written on her face even as the boys explained (with white lies, of course).

 

“She really didn’t, Jieun ah.” Jongdae-oppa remarked as he propped his chin on his knuckle and gave her a crooked smile.

 

She pinked almost immediately and shyness replaced the disbelief on her face. The rest of the boys exchanged knowing looks and judging from the smirks that Chanyeol-oppa and Baekhyun-oppa gave to each other, I knew those two wouldn’t let this go with Jongdae-oppa.

 

Oh dear.

 

Despite the light lovey dovey mood at our table, we continued our lunch as though nothing happened. I was about to tuck into my dessert (guess what?) when an extremely pungent perfume filled the air.

 

My gag reflex kicked in and everyone glanced at me, concerned. But they knew what was coming as she entered our fields of vision with her minions behind her as usual.

 

Kang Heesun.

 

She had her arms folded and eyed me from head to toe before rolling her eyes.

 

Did she just ing scan me and rolled her eyes?!

 

"What do you meant by you didn’t get a surgery? Isn't it so obvious that she underwent one or maybe two? Look at her! Totally looking more like a now. And you’re still clinging on to the oppas? Shameless !"

 

She shoved a bony finger at me and I could barely restrain myself from snapping it off. And I could; it’d be so easy, like breaking a twig into half.

 

"Why? Do I need to report to you whether I did or did not undergo surgery? I think the person who looked like she went for one ought to be…" I looked at her from top to bottom and left to right, a knowing smirk forming on my face. "Well, someone looks like she went for at least three.”

 

The boys sniggered as her face reddened. Jieun patted my shoulder and I knew I had retorted marvellously.

 

“So stop judging people and assume that whatever you see is what you think it is. Now scram before you suffer again."

 

I turned back to my dessert, thinking that she would have left but she didn’t.

 

"If you must know, I am not in the least afraid of you. You should really know your place, . If you weren’t here, I would be the one in that seat." I felt my collar being yanked back and I choked, once again, on the cold lemon sorbet sliding down my throat.

 

her!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter