Chapter 7: Know Your Place

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyun’s POV

As the night droned on I never left Yi Fan’s side. Sometimes I would catch him looking at some heiresses trying to keep his cool persona probably hoping to catch their attention.

“Oppa. If you want to talk to them then go.” I said while managing the plastered smile on my face. He looked at me before shaking his head and chuckling.

“And let you loose? Do you want Hyung to kill me?” He said and casually dragged me back to the group that Ji Yong Oppa was chatting up.

He smiled when he saw us approaching and quickly motioned for us to come closer.

“Ah yes. Jae Suk-ssi. This is Yi Fan. I’m sure you know him.” Oppa said and I noticed as he took in Yi Fan with his eyes before smiling at him and nodding.

“Oh yes. Who wouldn’t know him? He’s that rascal of Soo Man.” He chuckled and I felt Yi Fan stiffen a bit but still kept his composure.

“It’s nice to meet you Jae Suk-ssi.” He said before reaching out to shake his hand.

“You know that I was just joking around my dear boy. But how are you really? Ji Yong here tells me that you have been adjusting well in your new family.” He said and Yi Fan only smiled continuing the conversation they had. I took this as the chance to sneak away from them without being noticed. And I succeeded.

I was already roaming around the hall admiring some of the art pieces that they had on display when I felt someone casually put their arm around my shoulder. I froze and stared at who the culprit was. I saw that Chanyeol guy smiling like an idiot at me. I glared at him a bit but decided to keep a cool facade.

“So. It’s only now that you separated from Kris the whole night. He’s been monopolizing you and I for one want to know more about you.” He said in a seductive tone and I only rolled my eyes at him.

“For your information. I am not that type of girl. I’m a lady.” I said and casually shrugged his arm off and it only made him stare back at me in amazement.

“You are one tough cookie aren’t you?” He merely said and grabbed my hand to guide me off somewhere. I froze and quickly looked back at the group of people Yi Fan and Ji Yong were at and they looked at me aghast at what was happening. I noticed Ji Yong’s eyes glint with annoyance but he didn’t make a move to save me.

Of course no one knew I was a Yang and if he made one wrong move the secret was out. I stared back at wherever the hell this guy was taking me and saw 9 other men gathered together chatting rather noisily for such a formal event.

“Guys!” Chanyeol suddenly called them and they turned back to him to give him a shocked expression seeing that he was practically dragging me towards them. When he stopped I saw Baek Hyun, Yixing and Chen smiling at me trying to assure me that everything was alright.

And that wouldn’t fix anything since I cannot be assured about anything right now having to mingle with these Lees!

“Yeol? Who is that girl and why are you dragging her everywhere?” A guy with chubby cheeks said and I blushed instantly since I don’t like this much attention from guys.

“Oh. She’s Kris’s date. I stole her for a while since we should all get to know her better Hyung.” He said and I glared at him before heaving out a big sigh.

“Hyung. Looks like she doesn’t want to be here.” Another boy with a sharp jaw line said and I merely smiled weakly at him for noticing my uneasiness.

“And Yeol. Have you forgotten that since she is Kris’s date she could be a part of a company that rivals with ours?” Another boy with wide and bright eyes said. Suddenly they were all talking amongst themselves about me when I decided to speak up now or have to endure this the whole night.

I slyly took my wrist out of Chanyeol’s grasp and bowed politely to all of them. They may be Lees but I was raised to be polite.

“Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Kwon Ji Hyun.” I said and they all instantly looked at me before nodding in acknowledgement.

“Oh we’re sorry Ji Hyun-ssi. We were all chattering here forgetting about you. How are you related to Yi Fan?” The guy that seemed to act like their leader asked and I only smiled at him weakly.

“I’m his friend. I-Uhh. I actually just came back from an overseas trip when I bumped into him somewhere and he was incredibly devastated. I comforted him and we immediately hit it off from there.” I said quickly devising an alibi as to how we met.

“So.  Are you his girlfriend?” Baek Hyun asked me and I blushed instantly when what he said registered.

“A-Ani. Aniyo. We’re not dating. Why would I go out with such an annoying person?” I said and quickly tried to hide my flustered state with a smile.

“Then why are you here with him?” Chanyeol quickly asked and I looked at him before trying to think of a way out of this quickly.

“Ohh. Well. You see. He wanted to tag me along since it would be very awkward if he came here alone. Also he wants to have me meet some important people and probably find a potential school for me to transfer to since most of the people here own prestigious institutions.” I said a bit too quickly and they only nodded buying my alibi.

“Is that so. Have you ever considered SM Academy of Music and Philosophy then?” Yixing asked and I felt my insides boil at the sound of their name. How dare he suggest his school!? Oh wait. He doesn’t know I’m a Yang.

“I haven’t heard of that school yet. He’s been talking up YG Institution of Arts and Humanities.” I said and they only chuckled as if I said the most hilarious joke.

“Well that is to be expected of him since he goes there himself.” He said with a hint of a dark tone which only made me want to press on further. This was interesting. What did they actually think about my family then?

“I’m sorry but I couldn’t help but notice a dark tone in your voice. Is there something wrong with that school?” I asked innocently and they all sighed before looking at me.

“You clearly don’t know anything yet. Have you ever wondered why Kris is distant with some of us? Why people keep referring to him as a traitor?” Chanyeol asked and I only shook my head feigning ignorance.

“Well. First thing’s first. Are you aware of the Yang and Lee rivalry?” Chen asked me and I shook my head.

“Well these two families don’t get along due to past issues. Resulting in the dividing of Seoul just to appease some of the residents from constant fighting. Kris over there used to be a part of our family. Then one day he rebelled and eventually ended up in the Yang household.” Chen continued and I only nodded.

“If that’s the case then what do you think about the Yangs?” I asked and they all laughed before looking at me.

“Easy question, they’re vermin and dirty. We are elite. End of story so if you really want to choose a school I suggest you come over to ours. It’s better and we don’t let peasants in.” The guy with the sharp jaw line said which made me tighten my fists but kept a smile.

“Is that so. Then I might take your school into conside- O-Oppa..” I was cut off when Yi Fan appe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter