Chapter 26: Nervous and Special

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lu Han’s POV

“Ji Hyun.” I called her name. But just like my other attempts still no response.

“Ji Hyun-ah~” I tried again but no response. She was still sitting stiff beside me. I started poking her sides which got me to receive glares from her but  ignored them.

“Ji Hyunnie~~.” I called out but with a whole lot more awe and adoration evident in my voice. She turned to me and smiled sweetly before glaring and speaking up.

“What?! Lu Han I am currently doing our project! Will you please quit it?” She said and huffed out in annoyance. I shook my head before smiling at her and poking her some more. At around my tenth poke she slapped my hand and turned to face me.

“Lu Han. Please. Just this once. Can you cooperate with me? We need to study. You keep doing this when we’re alone together. It is already coming off as creepy.” She said as she stared deep into my eyes.

Usually I would push on further to annoy her until I got what I wanted. I’d poke her until she conceded and gave me what I asked for. She was very lenient with me when I was like this. But just this once I found myself shutting up. It was the first time since I started courting her that she looked at me with this much fervency in her eyes.

She seemed to have sensed my agreement to her proposal and she smiled. She nodded to herself before turning back to the book she was reading. I was still staring at her and felt captivated yet again by every small movement she did. The moment I saw the familiar furrowing of her eyebrows that she did every now and then when she was troubled with whatever she was reading did I seize the chance to ask her the same question I’ve been asking for four weeks now.

“When will you be my girlfriend?” I asked her and she peeped up from her book to take a look at me.

“Are we doing this again?” She challenged and I let out a huff of defeat before nodding. I knew that I was going to lose this battle anyway. Might as well go for it again.

“I just don’t see the point. Usually girls say yes the moment we pull out such a grand gesture. And mind you. I didn’t go for the tacky banner and roses . I thought you would agree to be my girlfriend after what I did that day.” I explained to her as I would usually do countless times after I brought her home that day.

“And as I’ve told you time and time again every time we talk about this. I do not like how girls are just saying yes after a guy asks them to be their girlfriend. You swept me off my feet that day. You know that. But I want to be courted. Courted properly to be exact. Find yourself lucky that I do not require you to court me in front of my parents. God knows what might happen if you did.” She said rather mechanically since she was already used to our conversations about this.

I looked up to the ceiling trying to gather my thoughts together. Thinking of a new reason for her to agree to be my girlfriend. I have lost all possible hope at some point but she always managed to reel me back in with little actions she was totally unconscious of from time to time.

Before I mustered out an answer she continued her statement.

“You asked me that day. You asked me how your first move was. I never answered because I told myself it was one of the best days of my life. Actually no. I thought I would add it to my list of days that I would never want to forget. All because when you asked me I expected that there would be more. Not gifts or trinkets. I don’t want that. I just thought you’d treat me like every girl dreams of when she’s being courted.” She explained and shook her head before looking back at the book she was reading.

I stared at her in awe and found myself feeling guilty. She was partially right. I never repeated another move like that day again. But I never forget to do what a suitor would do for the girl they liked.

I brought her to and from class. I asked her everyday what she liked and disliked. I would even treat her out to some drinks when we were free. I did everything a regular suitor would do. What any guy would do. But the look in her eyes showed me otherwise.

I knew with the few weeks that I got to know her. She never wanted a relationship. She was very much about the honour and dignity that she must uphold for her family. So the thought of her being courted was entirely foreign to her thoughts.

But now that the situation was here it was clear with the way she acted around me that she was not interested in flings or short term relationships. She took this very seriously and saw fit that I earn the right to call her mine.

She wanted me to prove something to her. I did not know what it was or how I would do it if I managed to find out. But she wanted that.

The odd thing was that I was more than willing to find out. She was a different girl. Far from any girl that I ed before. Or any girl that I even managed to take seriously before. She made me feel comfortable, secure, happy and wanted. And with all of those laid out for me I would stop at nothing to be with her.

“You read too much medieval stories you know?” I joked at her to garner her attention again. She looked at me with a confused expression when she took her eyes of her book.

“What makes you say that?” She questioned me and I only laughed before going into her comfort zone which I knew she didn’t particularly like sometimes.

“It is kinda clear isn’t it? You are totally in love with the way girls were treated and treasured during that time. You want to be swept off of your feet with your knight in shining armour.” I and she only pouted before turning away from me.

“Shut up. You know what you haven’t done particularly anything yet to help me with our project. I suggest you leave if you’re just going to continue teasing me.” She said while looking away from me. I chuckled at how cute she was acting before wrapping my arms around her petite waist.

I felt her freeze against my touch because I wasn’t usually this bold when we were together. This was actually the first time that I initiated any sort of skinship.

“Don’t worry. You’re cute with that kind of mindset. And I’m sorry that I didn’t realize it sooner.” I told her and lened my chin on her shoulder. I was pushing her limit right now since she was still rigid against my touch.

“What the hell are you talking about now?” She asked me but I was observant enough to notice the way her voice was a pitch higher than usual.

“How you deserve to be treated and courted like a princess.” I whispered in her ear and let my arms fall from her sides. I knew that this was already too much for her so I stopped.

When I let go she immediately turned her body to face me. Her face was very pink with my previous action and I had to fight back the urge to chuckle at how the blood was spread all over her face.

“Stop playing with me. You can’t fool me with flowery words you know.” She said but it was clear with how red she was that she is incredibly flustered already.

“I’m hurt. Are you assuming that I can’t live up to my word? That I can’t treat you like a princess? The way you deserve to be treated?” I challenged her and her eyes widened before she shook her head frantically.

I chuckled at how cute she was acting.

“Don’t worry Ji Hyun-ah. I won’t leave you hanging. And I definitely will not hurt you in any way. You’re special to me.” I confessed to her and I noticed how her eyes widened with my sudden display of boldness.

I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and sighed in content that I may be close enough to having to call her mine.

“I want you to meet my parents. Will that be okay? They came home a few months ago but they’ll be leaving soon. I want you to meet them.” I told her and she seemed to gulp down her saliva. I knew for a fact that this was an act of nervou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter