Chapter 40: Final

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyun’s POV

Nervous. Yep, that was the one-worded description needed to depict the predicament we were all in. All of us were nervous wrecks and as we gathered inside the limo that was parked a block away from the amphitheater. Any minor slip-up would mean the end of all our efforts for the past five months and Lu Han and I were not having it.

“Hyung, are you sure that you are a big enough distraction for the Yangs? Mark could always fill in for you. He has more of chance at it than you do.” Lu Han said and Onew Oppa only smiled reassuringly at us before shaking his head in reply.

“Lu. No worries. I am enough for them. Trust me when I say this and Mark already has enough on his plate. He was caught red-handed with hiding your relationship. If he were to distract everyone instead of me, they will immediately catch on to your plan. Just remember to steer away from Tao. I never thought that he would be the one person that would tell on you two.” Onew Oppa assured us and smiled. I nodded and looked out the window and noticed that people were starting to gather the steps of the building and knew that it was time for us to step out.

“Mark. I’m sorry. You know, for everything. You didn’t deserve that. You went through so much these past few months and I’m sorry. I really am.” I told him as I looked at him for the first time since we all got into the vehicle. I was just so guilty knowing how Ji Yong Oppa probably got mad at him that time.

He looked up at me and I saw how his eyes just softened when he looked at me. He smiled at me giving me assurance that everything was going to be okay.

“Ji Hyun-ah. Trust me when I say that this is the least I can do. Heck, if it means your happiness then I’d gladly give it to you.” He said and reached out to squeeze my hand. I smiled and pecked him on the cheek before leaning back on my seat next to Lu Han, intertwining my hand with his again.

“Mark. I know that this will jeopardize your relationship with your family. Especially with your Hyung. But I’d like to thank you as well. For helping and hiding us.” He told Mark, making everyone feel at ease inside. With all the last bits of reminders left, they bid us farewell before stepping out of the limo to give Lu Han and I some privacy.

“So, everything is on the trunk of the car right? Our passports? Luggage? Tickets?” I started trying not to look him in the eye. I felt so ashamed to face him all because of what happened yesterday.

He sighed and cupped my face to look at me in the eyes. To let me see his brown eyes that mirrored that exact same feelings that I had.

“Ji. Everything is going to get better from here. Okay? We just have to get through tonight. That’s all. Then after tonight, we’re going to be together. Far away from all this.” He assured me. I nodded and felt my tears well up a bit knowing how close we were to getting what we wanted.

I leaned in to inch my lips closer to his, taking in everything that I could to memory if ever we did not succeed. I memorized how deep and unending the black of his eyes were, how his eyes reminded me of the cool earth that surrounded us. His hair that felt soft no matter how many times he dyed it. His familiar minty smell that always made me feel safe and at ease. I was definitely going to miss that.

My lips stopped a millimeter away from his and with any movement at all they would brush  against each other. Our foreheads were resting against each other and I just felt so content being this close to him. We didn’t need any more ounce of passion or movement to know what the other felt. We both knew the kind of love that we both had for each other. It was there.

“We’re going to get through this. You’ll fight for us Ji. Right?” He asked me and I closed my eyes feeling a single tear slip from my eye.

“Of course Lu. I’ll fight for us. I will always fight for us. No matter what happens tonight. Whether we succeed or fail. I’ll be with you at the end of the day.” I swore to him. I was not going to go back home to a place without him. He made me feel whole. He filled in all the missing gaps that I felt. I wasn’t going to watch him go just because of a feud that had nothing to do with us in the first place.

In that moment it felt as though the past few months were all just a blur, really, everything we went through would come down tonight and I will do everything to see this to the end.

“Then let’s get this over with. I love you Ji Hyun. So much that I’d willingly renounce everything to my name for you.” Lu Han told me and I giggled quietly before pulling him back next to me to plant one last gentle peck on his lips.

“You’re starting to sound like Romeo.” I teased and he shook his head before stepping out of the limo. But before he closed the door he turned to answer me.

“For your information. It was Juliet that declared that she’d renounce her title for Romeo. And just like Romeo, I’d die without you.” He confessed and shut the door of the car going to his own limo that was parked next to mine.

I smiled and pressed the button that would lower the divider of the passenger seat from the driver’s seat.

“Ahjussi. Let’s go.” I told him and as he revved the engine I smiled at him. “Thank you for helping me by the way.” I continued and he chuckled before moving forward.

“Anything for you Young Miss. It’s nice to see you happy. Even if the boy is a Lee.” He said and I smiled even wider at him. I looked out the window and noticed how we were already at the front of the venue. My heart was already pumping loud and I could feel my hands sweat with the rise of my hormones.

My door swung open and I looked at my diamond clad feet before stepping out. I was greeted by millions and tons of cameras flashing everywhere. But there was a very familiar arm there already there to greet me as I stepped out.

“Ji Hyun. It’s nice to know that you’ve made the right decision.” He said warmly and I looked up at his eyes, that were identical of my own.

“Neh Oppa.” I said and smiled. Showtime.

Lu Han’s POV

“Hyung. The press conference will take place first. She’ll be announced then. The engagement will be announced later tonight. We just have to make sure no one from the gala will hear about her being Ji Yong-ssi’s sister. Especially Abeoji.” I reminded him and he chuckled before nodding in reply.

“I know Lu. Then I’ll gatecrash the party at the other side to distract everyone, you take Ji Hyun and rush off to the airport and head on over to States.” He continued and I nodded feeling incredibly antsy in my seat. He patted my leg gently.

“Lu. You don’t have to be nervous. And forget about Ji Yong alright? He’s just protective of Ji Hyun.” He assured me and I immediately gulped reminiscing what happened yesterday.

There was incessant banging on her door and we were both shocked at the ruckus. I looked at her and she only shrugged, she wasn’t aware why anyone would bang on her door that way.

“KWON JI HYUN OPEN THE GODDAMN DOOR!!!!” And just as she heard the voice at the other end I watched her freeze in fear. He mouth on making our the word ‘no’.

“What’s wrong?” I asked her and she snapped out of her trance to pull me up and lock me up in her walk-in closet but before she walked out I grabbed her hand and made her face me before she could go out to leave me without an explanation.

“My brother. He’s at the door. Stay here and don’t come out unless I give the signal. Arasseo?” She said and immediately stepped out of my reach to close the double doors to her closet. I sighed and walked closer to the door to hear anything that was going on outside.

“JI HYUN!? What took you so long? I know what you’ve been doing here and how you’ve fallen in love with the Lee’s heir. You are going home right this second!!” I heard a man’s voice say and some shuffling of footsteps. He wasn’t alone.

“So you’ve heard? If you think I am going home just because of this then you’re dead wrong Oppa.” I heard her say and also heard their voices get louder. They were probably in the living room.

“Not going home? Do you think you have a choice? You don’t! You are engaged Ji Hyun. So stop this rebellious nonsense and come home! And maybe we won’t reschedule your birthday celebration that will also be the day that you fully go out in public as a Yang!” She was going to be introduced? This is what she’s always wanted. I wanted to go out and tell her to go for it but found my mouth agape when I heard her answer.

“I TOLD YOU. I AM NOT GOING HOME. I DON’T NEED RECOGNITION ANYMORE OKAY!? WE ARE PASSED THAT. I LOVE HIM AND IF Y—“ she was cut off when I heard a smack echo. I couldn’t sit here anymore. I pushed the doors open and walked out of her closet and room to defend her.

The moment I stepped out, the sight in front of me did not show any favor for either Ji Hyun or me. With Ji Yong-ssi was Kris and Mark. Kris had a hesitant expression when he saw me and Mark had his eyes on Ji Hyun. He was about to help when he was held back by two bodyguards that I presumed they brought along to sustain Ji Hyun. They knew that she wasn’t going out without a fight.

I looked to the two main protagonists of the situation and saw Ji Yong staring at me in shock as Ji Hyun was looking back at her brother shock on her face as well as she held the side of her face that I presumed was hit.

I ignored everyone else and marched my way on over to check on her. I saw Mark relax a bit when he saw that someone was tending to Ji Hyun’s face.

I gently made her look up to me and noticed her face redden where she was hit but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter