Chapter 3: There's more to what meets the eye

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris’s POV

I was happy at first being accepted into the Yang Family especially when Ji Hyun started warming up to me. But I still couldn’t shrug off the conversation we had earlier in the car on our way over.

It always made me wonder that as we grew up we never heard that the Yangs had two direct grandchildren. We only knew about their eldest grand son Ji Yong Hyung. Ji Hyun on the other hand was never even brought up not even as a rumour.

“How come I only heard of you now? As far as I’m aware. The Yangs only have one direct descendant. That being Ji Yong Hyung.” I asked and she looked at me briefly before suddenly turning her attention to the window

“Let’s just say. You’ll soon discover that in this family. Only the first born is deemed important.” She said before leaning her head against the window and not even uttering a peep anymore once she did.

I sighed and looked over at her, trying to figure out what she meant that only the first born is deemed important.

“Ji Hyun. What do you mean?” I asked her poking her a bit earning a glare when she looked back at me.

“Ahjussi. What’s my next class after lunch?” She asked the driver and he looked at us through the mirror before answering.

“You have Art History after lunch Miss. And Yi Fan will be having his dance practice after lunch.” He said curtly before turning his attention back to the road. I looked at her with confused eyes before she spoke again.

“Ahjussi. I think we’ll skip those classes. Could you drive us to Appa’s new restaurant downtown?” She asked and I saw the driver nod curtly at her before turning a corner going to a different direction.

I looked at her with a confused expression since it doesn’t seem like to her to go on skipping class.

“Oppa. Stop staring. I’ll answer your question but I can’t tell you at school. I maybe that girl who lives and breathes Yang principles but I am still a girl.” She muttered and I shook my head chuckling at her.

“Don’t worry about it Ji Hyun-ah. I understand what you mean. I used to be a Lee after all.” I said and looked outside only to find ourselves in front of an Italian restaurant that seems very rustic in its design and appeal.

“Is this it?” I asked and she nodded before scooting over closer to me nudging me out.

We were immediately escorted into a VIP lounge when they saw Ji Hyun and the family crest on her school blazer. As we sat down she told them to just give us the special for the day before looking at me with such a bright smile.

“Well. What do you think? Ain’t too shabby eh?” She asked me wiggling her eyebrows. I chuckled at her then sighed.

“Yep. It’s not so bad. I mean. For a Yang restaurant that is.” I said and pretended to act like a critique that was reviewing her restaurant.

“So. About what you said earlier.” I started and her bright aura was suddenly replaced with a dark one soon after.

“Oh. That. Well. I’d like to ask you something before we start. What do you know about our family aside from everything that they said to you when we accepted you?” She asked me as she reached out for a breadstick to nibble.

“Well. Yang Hyun Suk-ssi and the rest of your family are vermin for us. Mainly because of some debacle that occurred before we were born. All the members of your family have the privilege of studying at YG and unlike our Academy anyone can get it. As long as their grades are good enough and you even give scholarships to those who can’t afford to be there. Uncle Soo Man always said that was just some sort of thing that you guys do to wipe your slates clean. And well. Of course we know about Ji Yong Hyung and his nickname G Dragon.” I said as I looked up trying to recall everything that people would usually talk about at home.

“And not even once did they mention me? The youngest and only granddaughter of Yang Hyun Suk?” She asked as she continued to nibble on her breadstick.

“Well. Yea. You were never mentioned. Not even a rumour of your birth.” I said and she sighed nodding a bit.

“I kind of expected that. Well. Here’s our side. Ji Yong Oppa is very much respected and feared in and out of our family. You guys even coined him as G Dragon. I on the other hand am just the ‘second child’” She said and looked at me to check if I was still catching her drift.

“I won’t lie to you. I am still very much loved and cared for just like my brother. Appa and Habeoji never treated me any less. But. When it comes to family issues like how we should hate your guts and all. No one ever dares to bring me up. Not even my name. Whenever it comes to business and feuds it’s always Ji Yong this and Ji Yong that. No one even bothers to ask. So how is the young Yang granddaughter? I heard she won her mixed martial arts competition. I heard she ranked the highest in her class. But nope. No one ever mentions me. Not even a peep.” She said and looked at me with sad eyes. I pitied her and sighed.

“Maybe they have a good reason for that Ji Hyun.” I started but she glared at me.

“The hell they do. They said it’s for my own protection. Because I’m the princess. Because at the end of the day when I get married I’ll have to change my last name hence losing the fact that I am a Yang. Omma had to do the same but she was the only daughter so it’s okay for everyone else. I know they love me. But sometimes I wish they could see how much I love and cherish our family and its values. That I could stand up against those Lees and fight for our beliefs. But no. I am deemed as weak and insignificant.” She said and looked down to glare at the breadstick she was holding.

“Hey now. At least I know that you exist. And trust me when I say you are the scariest princess that I have ever met.” I said and she looked up to smile at me.

“Thanks Oppa.” She smiled and I grinned at her seeing how happy she is.

“Anything for you Mei-Mei.” I replied

I sighed as I felt pity for her. It was clear with the way she carried herself that she just wanted to be noticed by the family even once. But there was a very small possibility of that happening because she was being spoiled and babied. I can see that she didn’t want any of that.

I was already

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter