Chapter 35: A Façade that Failed

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lu Han’s POV

I just finished sending off Tao with my warning and the necklace that Halmeoni gave me a few years ago. I was already on my way back inside the house when my phone started beeping furiously. It was odd for it to start acting this way so I took it out of my pocket.

The screen was blinking and the number that flashed across the screen was the same number from my office in Woollim. It looked like an odd thing to see on my phone because it didn’t look like a phone call was coming in. I shrugged and swiped the screen.

My phone then redirected itself to some sort of map system or blueprint of some sort. Then there was some sort of red dot blinking in one section of it. I found it quite odd so I rushed up to the stairs to ask Onew Hyung since he had a fair share of knowledge about this.

I knocked on his door. After a few raps on the door he called for me to come in. As I did he smiled at me and I couldn’t help but notice that he was preparing to go somewhere.

“Hi Lu Han. What’s up?” He asked me and I smiled before showing him my phone.

“My phone is acting up.” I said and brought it out while it still incessantly beeped like there was no tomorrow. He reached out to take a look at it and he seemed taken aback by whatever was happening and only gave it back to me.

“It’s nothing. It’s just some sort of alarm drill from Woollim.” He told me and tried to pass it off like it was an ordinary thing. I didn’t think that it was though. So I stared at my beeping phone and swiped it once only to be redirected to the portal site of Woollim’s database. It looked like something was wrong with one of the files at the office.

I found it extremely odd so I decided to head to the office myself to fix the problem at hand. I scratched the back of my head before turning on my heel to leave when Onew Hyung suddenly called out asking where I was going.

“Lu? Where are you going? Your phone stopped beeping. What did you do?” He said as he finished strapping on his watch. He was following me out the door.

“I’m going to head to the office. Apparently some of the files have been tampered with and the security system is acting up. No worries Hyung.” I assured him but he seemed to get a little bit agitated by what I just said.

“What?! That’s—uh—odd. I’ll come with. I might be of help.” He said and followed right after me as I made my way to the garage. I nodded as I started going through the set of keys that were hung on the wall in the garage. When I found the car of my Mercedes I quickly made my way to the vehicle and revved the engine once I got in.

As I started the drive towards the office Hyung started asking me questions. And his tone seemed to be rooted from somewhere.

“So. Did the system say what file in particular was tampered with?” He asked me and I shook my head.

“The system only specified that something was tampered with. When I clicked the mainframe shortcut on the phone I was led to a portal that had some sort of code thing going on. Whatever the file is. It seems like they don’t want me to find out what is going on within it.” I told him and made a turn at the intersection. We were only about a few meters away from the office now.

“Oh. That’s a reli- I mean that’s odd. I don’t recall having such problems when Abeoji had me practicing under Woolim.” He said and I shrugged suddenly getting a really bad gut feeling about what was going on at the office right now.

“Hyung. Did you ever have a gut feeling? Like something is wrong? Something just seems off about Woolim files suddenly getting tampered with. You said it yourself. This didn’t happen before. And this sector of our family business is very secure. People entrust us with information.” I said and parked the car by the end of my sentence since we were already in front of the building.

I looked to my right and noticed that Hyung’s Adam’s apple moved up and down. He clearly swallowed his saliva and that is one characteristic of someone who is nervous.

I ignored it for now. Because my gut feeling was now telling me that Hyung somehow was involved in whatever was happening to the system. As we were making our way to the elevator I started recalling some stuff Hyung said the day I met with Kris.

“Go on. Eat. I have to. Uhm. Do some things. By the way. You’re the newly appointed head of Woolim Enterprises right?”

He was the heir before I was. He shouldn’t have the need to ask me that question. Was he trying to confim something?

“Could you grant me access to some of the files there? I am just doing some research about some potential clients. And I know there is some useful information kept in our archives.”

He wanted access to some of the files. As a Lee family member he could access almost anything in the system. Everything except level 10 files. Those were all under my jurosdiction since I was the head of the company for now.

I tried thinkingg about what he could have possibly accessed there. The only information there were some vlack market stocks and Yang family intel that our family kept to have some leverage against them when we would go head on.

If he wanted access to client files he didn’t need to ask permission from me. His position in the family was already enough for him to access those type of files.

“But you have to realize that we all have our secrets. Some a lot darker than the rest.”

I started to stare at Hyung once we reached my office. He was tapping with something on his phone and I tried to take a peep only to be blocked by his shoulder. I would check on this later. Because it seems like my Hyung is hiding a secret. And it seems to be pretty dark.

 _

I spent almost two hours here inside the office trying to go through all of the passcodes that seemed to have taken over the system. Hyung on the other hand was on my office couch still tapping his phone. He didn’t let go of it the moment we set foot into my office and I am starting to get the feeling that he is the reason why everything on the site was redirecting from security site to security site.

I tried entering all of my override codes into the system to get rid of whatever has taken over but it still would respond to me. I was about to give up on it when Hyung came over by my side and took a peep at the system.

“I honestly think a bug was planted somewhere in the mainframe computers downstairs. It could be feeding some sort of virus to your system. It is really just trying to block out all of your override commands.” He said before redirecting his attention to his phone.

“Hyung. Between the two of us you’re the one who majored in informations technology. Can’t you do anything to help me?” I asked him. He only shook his head before tapping his phone some more.

“Ani. You know that I didn’t focus much on my course since Abeoji started training me. And if I remember correctly. A virus that is planted indirectly to your system but through an associated computer will be hard to deal with. You have to kill the computer from your main system for it to function properly again.” He pointed out and I sighed trying to figure this out.

I started typing in commands that would lead me to which computer was manipulated with but yet again I was redirected to a lot more code sites.

“Hyung. It is still redirecting me.” I complained and he looked over his phone before shrugging.

“The person must have been really thorough. I can’t go through the system now. Xiumin and I designed that security database so that no one could access it but it seems really odd for anyone other than you or me to hack into it so easily.” He said and I sighed.

I was already going to just give up on whatever the hell took over the system when I r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter