Chapter 2: He's No Longer a Part of Your Family

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lu Han’s POV

I looked around the family hall in boredom. What the hell were we doing here at this time of the day? Clearly to be able to gather the whole family here meant something important. I looked at everyone and sighed. This had better be good.

After a few minutes of hushed murmurs and banter among the different family members that were gathered everyone suddenly turned their attention to the main door when it opened only to accommodate the arrival of my grandfather and older cousin, trailing behind them was Jessica Noona and her mother.

I raised an eyebrow at them before shrugging since whatever they had to say probably won’t even concern me.

My grandfather motioned everyone to keep quiet as he took his seat in the middle of the table Hyung to his right and I to his left.

Everyone immediately followed his order and looked back at him waiting for whatever he had to say tonight.

“As you all know our dear Yi Fan has left the household and has renounced any privileges or rights that he had to this family.” He said and I raised an eyebrow shifting a bit in my seat. This was interesting. Someone actually had the guts to leave the family?

“It is of course a great loss. He was a very bright and diligent boy. But regardless what’s done is done.” He said and looked at Hyung to continue on. I noticed as he merely looked shocked and saddened by the news. I knew that he didn’t want to speak up, he didn’t like these kinds of topics.

“Sir?” He asked and grandfather merely gave him a stern look signalling him that now was not the time to be soft. I saw him sigh and he continued whatever my grandfather had to say.

“In line with this. We have also discovered that he chose a Yang over his own sister. Defending the Yang from whatever she rightfully deserved.” I noticed him gulp as everyone started murmuring about the incident. Of course, Yi Fan was a man of principle. He didn’t care about family feuds. He only cared about what he deemed was right.

“We had him followed the moment he left the house. Apparently he was escorted into the Yang threshold earlier this evening. We have no more news regarding the matter but regardless. He.. Uhh. Sir. I can’t. We can’t” Jin Ki suddenly turned back to our grandfather looking at him and pleading with eyes not to continue. My grandfather merely glared at him and he took that as his signal to shut up.

Instead of having Hyung continue the announcement Jessica Noona did it instead.

“He is no longer a part of this family. He is seen as a traitor and an enemy. I for one find myself disgusted by having him as my brother.” She spat and we all stared at her in shock.

We knew how strict our family was but to kick someone out for acting as to what he thought was right was truly too harsh. Oh wait. Who am I kidding? I am a part of the family that follows tradition and tradition alone. I sighed and looked back at my Hyung. He was looking down clearly upset by the news. Just then my grandfather spoke up.

“That is all for now. Everyone must be in their rooms after this meeting. We have a busy day tomorrow especially for all of you who are still in school.” He said and with that he dismissed all of us from the meeting that we just had.

I stared at my grandfather as he stood up and left followed suit by Jin Ki Hyung.

Of course. Leave it to the old man to be harsh to his own family. Just as I was about to stand up and leave my cousins approached me and quickly placed their arms around my shoulders.

“Geez. The old man really took me by surprise today. Imagine disowning your own nephew just because they defended a Yang.” Chanyeol said and walked with me to my bedroom. I looked back at him and shook my head.

“Yeol. It’s Uncle Soo Man we’re talking about. Of course he’s harsh. What else are we supposed to expect from him? I kinda pitied Jin Ki Hyung though. He really didn’t want to make the announcement.” Su Ho said as he walked with us, trying to be level headed about the matter. But what caught my attention was a sulking panda that was walking right beside us.

“Ya. Zi Tao. Are you okay?” I asked him and he shrugged clearly feeling depressed.

“Come on Tao. I’m sure Kris Gege is fine. He’s smart enough to not find himself sleeping on the streets.” I said as I tried to comfort the depressed panda.

“Gege. He’s a part of our family. How could they disown him just like that? Especially Jessica Jie Jie. She was so mean.” He said and sniffled a bit. I sighed and shook my head. We just had to get used to this. It was hard being a part of this family anyways.

“Come on Tao. It’s not like Kris will stop talking to us right? Hey. We’ll see him tomorrow at school anyways. I have first period with him. Let’s try talking to him about the matter okay?” I said and he immediately brightened up and hugged me before running of to his room.

When he was out of earshot Baekhyun suddenly appeared by my side and looked at me with confused eyes.

“Hyung. Are you sure? Kris Hyung going to school tomorrow? He renounced his family ties with us which means he has no right to go to school tomorrow. Only members of our family and devoted followers of your granddad may step onto school grounds. I won’t be shocked if they barricaded him from campus.” He said and I looked at him with knowing eyes.

“I know that Baek. But. We need to take care of Tao. Especially now that Kris won’t be here to do that for a while.” I said and they all nodded at me in understanding. We all bade each other goodnight before retiring to our own bedrooms for the night.

But one thing went through my mind before going to sleep.

Kudos to you Kris for standing up for your own principles.

_

We were already on our way over to the cafeteria for lunch but there was still no sign of Kris. I sighed in defeat knowing that maybe Baekhyun was right, they probably barricaded him from getting on to school grounds today.

We were all on our way to our reserved table when Tao appeared out of the blue happy as ever. We were all shocked to see him so happy at the moment but just as we were about to ask why he so happy he suddenly clapped his hands like a kid on Christmas day.

“Guys! I saw Gege. He’s on his way here righ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter