Chapter 38: Another Heart

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark’s POV

I stared at my phone screen and saw the multiple text and voice messages that she left for me. I knew that she was worried. I knew that she needed me right now. But I also knew that I wasn’t the person in her heart.

A sigh escaped my lips as I pocketed my phone yet again, not wanting to respond to any of her messages. I needed time to think to myself.

My shoulders were slumped and my hands were in my pockets as I walked lifelessly around campus. God what have I gotten myself into?

“Annyeong.” I walked into the office of my Abeoji and gave a ninety degree bow to him and his guest. I just came back from the States and my grandfather requested that I see him immediately.

I stood back up when I heard an amused chuckle resonate from the chair in front of my grandfather’s table to be greeted by a kind looking man.

He reached out and held me at arm’s length to scrutinize me from head to toe and smiled before ruffling my hair.

“Ahh. Mark. How long has it been? The last time I saw you, you still had the nerve to kick me in the shin and run off with Ji Yong’s race car.” He chuckled and I let out a shaky laugh as well. I rubbed the back of my neck as I followed him to sit down.

I was feeling a little embarrassed but nonetheless knew it was okay since I did that horrid deed when I was still 5 years old. When I heard my Abeoji clear his throat I looked up to smile at him and his guest.

“Mark. I’m sure you remember your Uncle Hyunsuk. He came over to ask a favor from us and I already agreed. All that is left now is your approval on the matter.” He told me and I nodded before hearing whatever he has to ask me.

“Whatever it is. I’ll do it.” I agreed all too willingly and they both sent knowing smiles towards each other before opening up a contract that only needed my signature to make everything official.

“Yea. If only I wasn’t to eager.” I muttered to myself and kicked another pebble sending it flying to the tree across from me.

If I never even agreed everything wouldn’t be ed up right now.

I fidgeted a bit in the backseat with Uncle Hyunsuk. He just finished calling Ji Hyun on the phone and she was on her way to meet us. I looked at him nervously before looking out the window to see the metal arc the read “SM Academy” written on it.

He chuckled to call my attention.

“Relax my dear boy. Everything will be okay. Ji Hyun won’t harm you.” He assured me and I only nodded before the sudden click of his car door made us both look at the new arrival.

It has been more than ten years since I last saw her and she has really grown from a young girl into a beautiful woman over the years. Her hair was still the same, with the natural curls coming from the bottom. Her eyes were still bright and full of passion and determination.

She was still the same spirit I met before.

“His name is Mark Tuan Yi-En. He’s one of Nickhun’s cousins. One of the successors of JYP Enterprises. I already have him arranged as your fiancé princess.” At the sound of my name I directed my attention back towards her and immediately knew that she regrets ever meeting me in the first place.

“Huh. She never even recognized me from when we were kids. She has a horrible memory.” I muttered to myself and brought out the worn out glow stick bracelet that they gave out at the party earlier this year.

I left her when the Lee boys started dragging her off somewhere. Someone was calling me and it was imperative that I answer the call. Once being able to step outside I swiped my phone open and greeted the person on the other end of the line.

“Hyung.” I breathed and he chuckled before greeting me as well.

“Ah. Mark. How is my sister? Has she been watching her words?” He asked me and I replied with a yes before continuing my conversation with him.

It bothered me deeply that I had to keep this secret from Ji Hyun but everyone did assure me that it was for the best. We ended our phone call an hour. As I rushed back inside I already found Ji Hyun limp against Tao’s side.

The sight bothered me to bits. So I rushed over to help her get back to her room.

“Thank you all for taking care of her. I’m sorry that I had to leave earlier. Family emergency.” I muttered out when I took her from Tao. I looked at all of them to express my appreciation but not forgetting to send a glare directly towards Lu Han. I heard what Ji Hyun said earlier. And to take advantage of a girl while drunk is just low.

As I was about to leave Tao spoke up.

“I’ll tag along you may need help.” I nodded towards him as we made our way out of the venue.

As we were walking back towards the dormitory. Ji Hyun started mumbling words as I carried her on my back. I hummed a few times in agreement with whatever she was saying until I froze completely

“I don’t want to get married. It’s not fair.” She whispered and I stopped dead to look at her as she rested her head on my shoulder. Not forgetting that Tao-ssi was there with us as well.

“What did she just say?” Tao asked and I gulped before turning towards him and smiling awkwardly to try and divert the topic.

“Uh. Uhm. You see.” I tried to explain but Ji Hyun just had to speak up again.

“I don’t want to get married.” She muttered a bit more audibly and Tao already crossed his arms in suspicion.

“Okay. I heard what I heard. So spill it Park.” He told me and I sighed before nodding to give in to his demand.

“Okay fine.”

“I guess in the end I did end up being friends with Tao though. He was the closest thing I had to a confidant here.” I muttered to myself.

“Hey Tao. What do you think about this whole Ji Hyun and Lu Han thing?” I asked him one afternoon while Ji Hyun was with Lu Han doing some errands together.

“What do you mean?” He asked me while he continued to look at some designer bags while we went around the mall together.

I shrugged and tagged along behind him as he continued to look around.

“I dunno. Do you think that he is starting to like her?” I asked blatantly and he didn’t even seemed fazed by my question as he answered it.

“Well. I am not a Psychology major like you. But, I don’t think so. Why do you ask?” He said before facing me to give me a weird look. I kept silent to think about what I was going

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter