Chapter 23: Torn

It's a Choice Between Love and Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyun’s POV

“Hey. So why did you suddenly decide to be a delinquent?” Mark said the moment he met up with me at the bubbletea cafe I was at.

“ happens. Plus I want to clear my head.” I told him as he sat down and nodded while texting someone on his phone.

“This sounds serious. So. What is it about?” He asks me and I shrug.

“Everything. How I at life. How I screw up everything. How I feel about . All the usual girl drama.” I told him and he laughed.

“I guess this is something more that what happened last Saturday? When you met up with Hyung?” He prodded only making me let out a sigh.

“Am I that obvious?” I asked him and he nodded.

“Tao told me earlier that Yi Fan contacted him. He said they were both sorry.” I told him and he nodded.

“Ji Yong Hyung contacted well more accurately is contacting me with the same topic. They really didn’t mean it you know.” He said. I knew he was defending them but somehow I was in no mood to forgive anyone at the moment.

“Tell him I don’t care.”

“So in other words I’ll tell him that you’ll call him later tonight?” He joked and I kicked him from under the table from his teasing.

“How do you know me so well?” I asked him and he only chuckled.

“I am assigned to stalk you remember? So. Stop going around the bush and tell me what is actually going on.” He said and I laughed at how he quick he caught on to me. I stared out the window before answering.

“Have you ever liked someone?” It took him by surprise.

“Of course. Why do you?” He asked me. But I shook my head at him.

“How does it feel though? Because usually we feel butterflies and rainbows. But still manage to get out the right words to impress them. What does it mean when you feel flustered around them in one minute then in the next you are comfortable and bold?” I asked him and he looked out the window as I did.

“Well. The butterflies and rainbows feeling could just be an infatuation. A happy crush. But the one you are describing right now is something more than that but not close to having the real kind of feelings yet.” He told me and it shocked me as to how bold he was.

Could it be that I like you this much Lu Han?

He took my silence as a signal to proceed.

“It’s Lu Han right? He is the only guy that you hang out with and you end up acting that way around.” He said and I froze before answering.

“How can you assume that?” I asked him and he only let out a sigh.

“I am your assigned stalker. Come on. Let’s go around town.” He said and grabbed my hand dragging me out of the cafe.

Not once did he mention it again for the whole day and if I wanted to bring it up he quickly brushed it aside.

Thump. I hit my head again on the table probably for the nth time today. I was still so frustrated with everything that happened yesterday. I felt tears b up to my eyes. Why was this happening? It’s not fair. Why was my life getting more ed up than it usually would?

Here I am trying to convince myself to not like the boy but he goes on admitting to me that he likes me. I felt tears threatening to fall but I had to them in quick before anyone in class would notice.

Why did Lu Han have to complicate things? Everything was going okay as it is. I already convinced myself that I wouldn’t pursue my said feelings for him but he just had to confess to me yesterday.

“So you’re telling me that you’re going to ignore what you feel for him?” Mark asked me as we sat by the stairs of my dormitory.

“Yep. Pretty much. I can’t risk it. And I love my family too much.” I told him and he shook his head a bit trying to think of a reply.

“What if though. What if you weren’t arranged to marry someone? What if you two were just regular people? Would you consider him? Would you give him a chance?” He asked me and I froze a bit taking in what he just asked me. What if? What if this was the case? But no. I shook my head and gave him a weak smile.

“That’s just it isn’t it Mark? What if? It can only be at a what if because there is absolutely no possibility of it.” I whispered and I could tell that he sensed the disappointment in my voice. He nudged me to my side and when I faced him he gave me an assuring smile.

“You never know. It could work out someday. And stop denying the feelings you have for him. You are only human. It is natural to feel that.” He pointed out and I only nodded weakly. Just as I was about to say something else he suddenly whispered something urgent.

“Ask me later. But I need you to laugh like I said the funniest thing you’ve ever heard.” He said and I raised an eyebrow about to ask why but he cut me off.

“Just do it. Now!” He whispered and I did as I was told.

I was probably giving off the fakest laugh I could ever muster when I suddenly heard urgent footsteps approaching us.

I turned my face towards the sound of the incoming footsteps only to feel my face falter in its fake happy expression. My heart sank at the sight of him. Why did he have to be here? Why did he always have to appear at the wrong time? Why did he even have to appear at all?

I looked at Mark who was still sporting a childish grin and I knew he already saw Lu Han coming beforehand. Why did you have to make it look like we were having the time of our lives? I was going to get the answer to my question one way or another.

Just as I was about to ask Mark I felt a sudden grip to my wrist. I looked up to see Lu Han with a very dark expression. It was a mix between hurt and something I couldn’t lay a finger on.

Without any more words he suddenly dragged me up to my feet and pulling me to wherever he wanted to go. I was resisting. Definitely. But not a single word was erupting from my mouth.

As he dragged me away I felt incredibly weird. It was like all my insides were jumping inside of me with the smallest skin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter