9,80665

Fighting Gravity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After their wonderful dinner filled with Haeri trying to coaxing Kai from sulking of her play’s turnout—which ended up in peace with a long, innocent kiss—Haeri was lying on their bed, her eyes fluttered close and her arms draped over Kai’s chest. She was sleeping on his arm, his fingers were soothing her hair, trying to lul her into sleep before Chanyeol came.

His phone vibrated inside his pocket, and he slowly reached for it. The clock had shown quarter to eleven. A faint sound of horn was heard outside, and by the distinctive sound Kai knew that it was Chanyeol’s sport car outside, waiting for him.

Kai softly moved Haeri’s arms off him and pulled his limb which she used as a pillow. He quickly jumped inside the dressing room, choosing a plain shirt combined with his favorite leather varsity jacket and an adidas sneakers. Shuffling to pick up his phone on the bed, he bade Haeri an air goodbye-kiss and descended downstairs.

Kai locked the gate behind him, entering Chanyeol’s favorite sport car which he usually use in race. Kai’s own sport car was left behind on his father’s house, and he had least intention to bring them back as now.

“Everything’s okay? Haeri’s asleep?”

“Yup. She was exhausted when she went to sleep, so we’ll be fine.” Kai confidently told himself, putting the seatbelt on. Chanyeol shrugged and clacked the pedal, moving his car with a decent speed on the vacant road to their street racing location.

But they didn’t notice that a distinctive car was tailing behind their back, moving just find along Chanyeol’s rather fast velocity.

*

When Kai and Chanyeol arrived, they were greeted fervently by the current street racers. Some of them were new, but they could still find some old players hanging around with their modified cars. One that had been inviting Kai back, Taehyung magically appeared on their side with a girl on a cramped dress on his arms.

“Hey bro.” Taehyung welcomed the two guys—who were part of the retired players—he would always respect as a senior. Even if Taehyung was older by a year, he knew that experience doesn’t go only by age. Kai and Chanyeol had achieved impressing number of win, along with the improving skill by each race. It was a pity that they retired too soon.

“Are you guys playing? You could start betting right now, it seemed like many of them are eager to test your skill.” Taehyung chuckled, pointing at some of the unknown face was pointing at them with curiosity. Kai shook his head, refusing the offer.

“I think I’ll just see how they play. I need to see the available players skill first. You, hyung?”

Kai diverted his face to find Chanyeol—who seemed to be taking a great interest in searching for her maiden for the night. Kai sighed loudly, not even questioning furthermore. He gave Taehyung a thin smile.

“But it seemed like one of the new racer is interested in challenging you. I was going to shrug it, but seeing how he had achieved three win in all three races, I think he deserved the honor.”

Kai pursed his eyebrows in interest, but a loud yet familiar roar of car disturbed his mind. He instinctively shot his sight behind him, to find that Haeri—angered Haeri, to be exact—was hopping off his car, stomping her way towards him.

 He was out of words.

“Wh-what are you doing here?” Kai stuttered, unconciously took step back in shock. Occasionally looking forth and back to the furious Haeri and his red volvo. How could she be here? Shouldn’t she be fast asleep in their own home?

“How could you ditch me just like that?” Haeri shouted, her arms were on her hips. Everyone could detect the danger radiating from her. “You try to make me asleep and then left me for this? How dare you?!”

“No! I wasn’t—this is—I mean—“

“Hey, sister-in-law!”

Haeri shift her glare towards the familiar deep voice. It seemed like he was having fun with the s with skimpy shorts inside his wide arms, which had inserted an opinion inside her mind that Kai was there for the same reason.

“I knew that sooner or later sister-in-law would find us here, Kai!” Chanyeol idioticly laughed, folowed by fake, high toned laugh of the s.

Well, that was unnecessary. “Explain it clearly, before I quickly storm off and disappear right before your eyes.” Haeri hissed, the anger rose up to her chest. It couldn’t get to her head of any reason Kai should hide anything from her. Was it true? Was Kai here for that reason? She was trying hard to guess. But the more she guess, the further she drifted from the truth. 

Kai was clearly befuddled by the sudden turnout of situation.

“I swear this is nothing! I am here for the race, not like that idiot! I was afraid that you won’t let me go to this race, so I decided to run on midnight. Sorry for not telling you. I was scared that you might be worried. I swear I am not here to do anything beside racing. You could ask Taehyung.” Kai pointed to the guy that had been observing their silly argument. Haeri shot Taehyung an intimidating glare, and that was when Taehyung felt completely defenseless. No wonder, Kai’s aura was just identical with his wife’s.

“Well well well, Isn’t it disappointing how the ace of the race is so tied up by his so-called girlfriend?”

Their argument went into halt when someone who dressed a little bit formal for the night appeared inside the scene. The source of the voice grinned widely, his hands buried inside his pocket with his hair gently pulled back. The charisma and maturity of him was evidently shown.

“Jackson!” Haeri thriumped purely based on surprise, which Jackson replied with an amused chuckle. Ignoring her own husband—who was clearly standing before her, jaws dropped low— Jakson cradled her inside his arms, giving him a not-so-friendly hug. Kai rolled his eyes, not wanting to experience their cringe-worthy meeting. He balled his fist, trying hard to calm down the raging jealousy who once again tried to claim its spot.

“How are you? Where have you been? I thought you were back in Hong Kong!”

Jackson nodded with a soft smile. “Yeah, I am coming back to Seoul for some business, but after it was finished I was invited by a colleague to play in this street race.”

“But I thought—“

Kai quickly pulled Haeri’s wrist back to face him, showing his pissed off face. There was no way he could watch their meet up for another second “I thought we were arguing, just the two of us. How can you leisurel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter