Handle Me With Care

Runaway Little Ghost

 

Gui Gui

I woke up that morning feeling the stickiness between my legs. And then came the cramps. Heol~ Its that time of the month. I resent it the most because as always, I will have a pretty bad cramp. Lazily, I got out of bed and took a hot bath to ease the pain. 

When I got out of shower, my iPhone pings. Somebody sent me a text message. I picked up the phone and swiped across the screen. It was a message from Henry. 

Let's go Starbucks. I'll buy you hot coco. Amber insist you come.

Oh great, now I'm a third wheel for them, too? I rolled my eyes and replied. 

I dont know...

Just then Henry texted me again. Hmm, that was fast.

Come on. Better than being locked up in the apartment doing nothing. We're already waiting for you down here. Palli! ;p 

Ugh, I hate it when they do that. And just like that, I went and dress up myself, applied minimal make up and went down the apartment. Henry's car was already waiting. He screened down and I saw Amber, just as excited to see me. They both had blonde hair. In just a glance, its hard to tell which one is who. Its even harder to tell that they're dating given Amber's boyish style. 

"Hop in!" I heard Henry exclaimed in English. 

I shooked my head, amused and hopped in the car. 

"Lets go, lets go!" Amber said, patting Henry's hand on the gear to make a move. Apparently, they communicate in English. Great, now I'm taking free English class, involuntarily. 

"Are you okay Gui Gui? You seemed kinda pale," Amber asked, looking at me who was sitting behind her. She was talking to me in her broken Mandarin, but good enough for me to understand.

"I'm fine. Juts uh, you know, its that time of the month," I said, folding my arms over my belly. The cramps starting to get worse. I winced at the pain. 

Amber made an "O" with . She seemed worried. I smiled weakly at her and mouthed "Ill be fine to her". Letting Henry know what's going on will be a bit embarrassing. 

We arrived at the nearby Starbucks. Henry went over the counter and ordered for us whilst Amber and I went to a place in the corner overlooking the street. 

As I sat down across Amber, Amber looked at me, worried. 

"You sure you okay? You really seemed pale," Amber asked.

"Its just..this cramps..sometimes it gets worse. I should be fine after drinking hot coco," I said, trying to find the best position to sit in order to ease the pain. 

A few minutes later Henry came holding a tray with our drinks and breakfast. He put the tray on the small table between us and sat down beside Amber. 

"Let's eat!" Henry announced and we all dig in. 

I was happily nibbling on the chocolate chip muffin when suddenly Henry asked me a question. 

"Gui Gui, forgive me for being rude but this long spring break, why not go home to Taiwan? Dont you miss your hometown?" he asked, which made Amber threw a glance at me as well. 

I put down my muffin, startled by the question. I wasnt hurt or offended. I was only unsure of how I am supposed to tell them the reason for my stay. The turth is, I wasnt completely honest. There is a story behind why I ended up in Seoul. It wasnt ust because I wanted to start a new life. The truth is, I was running away from something, from someone. I sighed. I looked up at Henry and Amber and realised that they are anticipating my answer. I looked down on lap, clasping my hands tight. I bite my lower lip. I glance at the hot coco that I already drank half. I heaved a sigh. Somehow, I feel like I could trust Henry and Amber. I have never told anyone the real deal ever since I came here and truthfully, it made me feel heavy and depressed at times. Maybe I should share it with someone to ease the pain. 

"Will you promise me, that after I tell you why, you keep it between us?" I asked the both of them, to which they nodded quickly. Amber even got up and made me do pinky promise. 

And so I start telling them the whole story...

About a year ago....

I have never fallen in love given my the pain I received from my parents divorced. So when I first met Aaron, I never thought that we will end up being a couple. Aaron was handsome, very handsome, his smile captivated me. It took Aaron a while to finally gain my trust. Then on Valentine's Day., he knelt down on one knee and asked me to be his girlfriend. I was so happy that someone would love me this much that I agreed immediately. Aaron was always nice and attentive. We were dating in our final year of high school. Everyone envied our relationship. I was proud enough to walk hand in hand with Aaron across the hall with every girl watching. Aaron was very popular in school. Every girl would kill to be his girlfriend and yet, out of all the girls who are obviously prettier than me, he chose me. 

I brought Aaron back home to see dad one day. Being the only daughter, dad had a hard time accepting Aaron. Aaron was very respectful towards my dad even though my dad ignored him most of the time. When Aaron was out of the house, dad launched into a fit and started lecturing me about being in love too young which I ended up barking back "What do you know about love when your marriage isnt working?". Dad slapped me over the cheek before he could stop himslelf. That was the first time dad ever lay a hand on me. I was angry because dad wouldnt approve of me and Aaron. And so that night I decided to run away. I called up Aaron and told him my plan. Aaron agreed right away. Back then, I was too naive to notice that this was the first sign of a man I should not date. I was madly in love to notice or care. At midnight, Aaron drove by and picked me up at my doorstep. I left a note to dad with only one sentence. "I hate you." 

Aaron lived alone in his apartment which was fully funded by his super rich family. His parents were barely around. They were always out of town for some business. I was in awe at how big and comfortable Aaron's apartment was. And the fact that Aaron had the freedom to do whatever he wants was amazing. That night Aaron offered to sleep on the couch so that I can sleep in his bed. We have been dating for 4 months now and up till now, we had only kissed. In my mind, I liked that Aaron respected me. I was too naive to know that this was of course, one of his strategy to get in my pants. 

After that, Aaron became more daring. When we were alone, he would start making out with me. He repeatedly make out with me and took my breath away and then stopped. He told me he would not force me if I wasnt ready. What a fool I was thinking that he would really mean it! I gave it a thought and decided, since I am no longer living with my dad, and that I love him so much, and I know Aaron loved me as well, I willingly gave myself to him. Since then, we slept together every night. 

It was only a month after we started sleeping together that I noticed the change in Aaron. He became impatient and would occasionaly shout at me. He even forced me to have with him even when I wasnt in the mood. He became rough in bed, which left me with bruises. I cried silently. I told myslef that he did this because he loved me. One time he threw a plate towards me because I aksed him the same question twice. Luckily the plate landed on the wall. I was scared to death and collapsed on the floor crying hard. He came over towards me and hugged me and told me repeatedly that he was sorry. And I believed him. He turned into the nice Aaron again, which lasted for only 2 days. After that, the same pattern began. One time he was home early from school and wanting to make a conversation, I asked him why he was early. Immediately he slapped me across the face and pushed me uo agaisnt the wall, strangling me. It was when I almost fainted that he let go of me. He even warned me that I should not poke my nose into his business. 

One day I was giggling at a text sent by my girl friend. He came over and snatched my phone. He told me that he was confiscating my phone because he suspected that I am having an affair with his friend. I cried and begged him to believe that I am not doing him any wrong. He slapped me again and dragged me to the bedroom before me and beating me over my body. He was smart enough to beat me at areas that people cant see. 

Thngs got even worse when one day Aaron decided to lock me up in his apartment. He said I am meant for him only and that he cant stand other men looking at me. I was distraught. I was desperate to get out but my mind kept telling me that he only did this because he love me. And a few days before the final exam, I was expelled from school because I did not turn up for so many days. I was depressed. I wanted to contact my dad and tell him to come get me but my phone was taken away. The apartment has no phone either. I was stuck. I would die here, I thought. At times I felt like suiciding. 

On one fine day, Aaron instructed me to go buy him something at the store nearby. He specifically told me to return an hour later. This was very rare of him. Usually he would dropped me off, waited for me to purchase things and then drove me home. I was too happy of the little freedom I got and went as told. I walked towards the nearest store and took my time looking for things I needed to buy. I put my hand in my pocket and realised I left my wallet. Sighing, I walked back to the apartment, all the while cursing myself for wasting 15 minutes of my rare freedom. 

I reached home after a 10 minute walk and noticed that the door was left unlocked. I expected to see Aaron lounging on the sofa but I could not find him. Feeling starnge, I walked over to the bedroom. I opened the door and what I saw shocked me. Aaron was with a lady. doing the deed. Aaron heard me gasped and smirked. He asked whether I wanted to join. Without realising , I cried and ran off. How could he cheat on me! I ran and ran until I reached the bus station. I bought a ticket with the only money left in my pocket. I was going home. 

Once I reached home, I knelt and begged for forgiveness from my dad. Dad was speechless for a while and before I knew it, he hugged me tight and cried with me. He told me that he knew Aaron was abusing me. He thought of rescuing me and reporting to the police but without evidence there is nothing he can do. He tried contacting Aaron but Aaron always find a way to avoid him. 

That night, Aaron came knocking the door hard, asking for forgiveness from me. I was too scared to face him. Dad wouldnt allow him near me so that face him. Dad chase him away. They ended up shouting at each other. Aaron even threatened dad that he would kidnap me. I was shaking so hard at the sound of his voice. After a while, dad came in and comforted me. He told me to run away. He promised to buy me a ticket. I cried. After all that's happened, I couldnt bare leaving dad. Dad told me that even if we report to the police, because of his parents' status, I would still lose the case. 

The next day, I was in Seoul, alone. 

"I vowed that one day, I will make Aaron pay for what he did to me," I said, only to realise I was crying and shaking, my hand gripping tight. 

Amber got up and sat beside me and hugged me. Henry offered me a tissue. 

"So that's why you cant go back, Henry murmured, looking sorry that he ever asked me that question. 

"What about your dad?" Amber asked.

I sniffed and wiped my tears. "He's residenting in Okinawa Islad now. He sold the house in Taipei and bought a piece of land in Okinawa Island. Started a home staying business there," I answered. 

"Oh, you've been through a lot. Gui Guim, dont worry, You have us now. Nobody will hurt you again. Stay strong okay?" Amber said  to me. 

"Thanks guys. I really feel better after telling you this. Carrying this around by myself drove me crazy," I said, smiling at the both of them. 

*****************************************************

I reached my aoartment at around noon. We tallked endlessly at the cafe that we forgot the time. In the end Henry treated us to a nice lunch at a Chinese restaurant. It was nice to be able to eat something familliar. 

I went into the bathroom to change and clean myself and right then, I felt the cramp coming again. I was fine hours ago when I was out with Henry and Amber. I sighed. This cramp isnt giving in. I quickly cleaned myslef and changed into a simple blouse and short pants. I wnet to the living room and decided to watch a marathon of Korean Drama. I plopped myself on the couch and switched on the TV. Just then the door bell rang. Aish jinjja! Cant I at least rest? Huffing my way to the door, without looking at the intercom, I swung the door open. In front of me, stood a man in jeans and white shirt, maroon coat. He was holding up a bouquet of roses to cover his face. It didnt take long for me to recognise him as I accidently took a whif of his aftershave. 

"Oh Oppa," I said, leaning at the door. My cramp chose this time to come again. 

"Aish, Gui Gui, you;re no fun. I thought you wont recognise me. Now you've ruined the surprise," he sighed, giving me the bouquet. 

He stepped in before I could say anything. Weakly, I closed the door behind me and followed him to the couch. He sat comfortably on the couch. 

"Make yourself at home. Want anything?" I asked. 

He smiled. "Just you," he asnwered, which made me blushed. He patted the couch, motioning me to sit. I stepped forward and that was when the cramp took a full blown. I fell to my knees, my arms folding over my belly as I winced. Taec Oppa immediately got up from his seat and with two long strides, reached me. 

"Gui Gui! Are you okay? You look pale. Are you sick?" he bombarded me with questions. He put his hand over my forehead to feel my temperature. I was cold-sweating. My legs felt weak. Just then I felt like throwing up. On instinct, I got up and rushed over the toilet. I threw up in time into the toilet bowl. Taec Oppa was watching me the whole time. When I finished vomitting, he handed me a tissue. I wiped my mouth clean and tried getting up. He immediately help me up and I walked slowly over the sink and rinsed my mouth. 

"Gui Gui, what is wrong with you? Are you sick? Let's go to the hospital now," he said, pulling me out of the toilet. 

"Oppa! No!"" I said, letting myself go. I walked over to my bedroom and to no surprise he followed. 

"What do you mean no? you're sick!" he said, a little too loud. 

I ignored him and climbed in bed. He sat on the bed  beside me. 

"Gui Gui, I'll drive you to the hospital, lets go," he said again. 

I shook my head. I looked up at him, embarrased to tell him that I wasnt sick. 

"Oppa, I'm not sick," I said, covering my body with the comforter.

"Then why are you throwing up?" he asked impatiently. I can see he was worried sick. 

I was silent for a while. I looked at Taec Oppa and realised that he was expecting me to answer. 

"I..uh..I'm..having..having my period," I whispered. My face felt hot. I avoided his gaze.

Taec Oppa was speechless and seconds later, smiled. 

"Why didnt you tell me so?" he said, as he got up. 

"I knew how to take care of one," he said again, and went over to the kitchen. 

What is he doing???

 

***Hey guys. Sorry for the late update. I was busy staying over at the hospital these few days. Mom just completed her second cycle of chemo. She was discharged today. Thank God. I hope you like this update. Some of you may find this story disturbing but I want it to feel like its real. The abuse experience was mostly derived from what I read. Recently I am obsessed with Jodi Piccoult's books. Haha! Okay, enough ranting. Thanks to the new subscribers and please pretty please comment! xoxo ***