Behind Big Eyes

Runaway Little Ghost

Present Day 

Gui Gui

It's school day. I let my foot dragged me to the school lobby. Don't get me wrong. I like going to school. It's just there's something that happened a couple of days ago that made me feel so burdened to be here. I was literally walking around scared that I might run into that Ok Taecyeon. As much as I'm thankful for what he did to me, I just feel so embarrassed to have shown him the vulnerable side of me. I purposely wore my hoody that day. I didnt even care when other students were giving me that look. I got used to being the odd one out. 

I was putting my things in my locker when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I didnt dare to look, thinking it was him. Seeing I gave no response, that person tapped me again. I slowly turned around and relieved to see that blonde hair. Henry smiled widely. 

"Good morning!" he said, smiling cheerfully. 

"Hey, morning," I answered, swinging my bag over my shoulder.

"Breakfast?" he asked.

I figured since I still half hour till my class starts, I agreed. From then, Henry started the converstion in Mandarin. He couldnt care less if people were giving us the look. I instantly comfortable around him. eventhough we just met a couple of days ago. I felt like for once, I was home. We ordered our breakfast and I insisted on sitting at a corner near the window. Somehow I just love watching the snow fall. 

"You dont like coffee?" Henry asked, seeing my Hot Coco. 

"I have a very sensitive tummy. I once had bleeding there because I wasnt eating right. The doctor told me I should stay away from coffee," I explained. Somehow I was able to share a little about myself with Henry. There is just something about him that made me trust him a little. I knew instantly he will be a very good friend of mine. 

"Ouch. Thats gotta hurt. But poor you not having to take coffee anymore," he said, drinking his slowly. I saw steam coming from the coffee. 

"I didnt think I'd see you again," he said, looking over at me. 

"Oh? " wondering why he said that.

"It's just I felt better knowing someone Chinese. Sometimes I need someone to speak my mother toungue. I've been away from home for quite a while now. It feels good to finally meet someone from Taiwan," he explained, digging into his American breakfast. 

"Where are you from Henry?" I asked, interested in his background. 

"Thought you'd never asked! Ermm..mom came from Taiwan. Dad from Hong Kong. Raised in Toronto," he explained. 

Wow. Quite a background, I thought. 

"So you're multilingual?" I assumed. He smiled and nodded. 

"I wouldnt say that buy yeah, kind of. Hm. What about you?" he asked, turning the spotlight at me. .

I cleared my throat. "You dont wanna hear my story. Its pretty boring,"

"Oh come on! That's not fair! Let me hear you out. Besides, nobody will understand us," he replied sneakily.

I glanced at him and after a long while, I decided to tell him my story. 

"I never told anyone about this except Seohyunnie. Hmm..where do I start? Parents got divorced when I was little. Mom abandoned me. Raised by my dad. It's tough seeing dad raised me alone. Mom only came once a while, asking for money from dad, which resulted in a fight. I got tired of the drama so I decided why not change the scene?" I explained, leaving Henry speechless. 

"Told ya, its pretty boring," I said, sipping my Hot Coco. The pain from the divorce still sting sometimes. 

"I'm so sorry Gui Gui. I had no idea.." he said, looking at me intently. 

"That's okay. Now you know me. Yay!" I said, smiling. I didnt want him to symphatize me. 

"In a way, things like this made me stronger," I said again, assuring him that I was fine. He slowly broke into a smile.

"Felt better sharing it with me?' he asked.

"Yuo. Better," I replied. 

Just then the bell rings. Shoot! Gotta get to class! Henry gathere his things and got up. 

"So what class are you headed to?" he asked, swinging his backpack over his shoulders. 

I just dont feel like saying it but I dont want to be rude. 

"Personal usic tutoring, Seohyun made me chose piano," I muttered. 

"Really? So you'll be taught by Ok Taecyeon, right?" he asked, interested. 

"Unfortunately," I said, sighing. 

"Why? Taec hyung's not bad. Wait, did something happen?" he implied. 

"No. It was nothing. Come on, lets go. We're late for class," I said, getting up. Purposely changing the subject so that he wouldnt ask more. 

 

*****

With a heavy and nervous heart, I stepped into the mini studio. The walls are light yellow wood. There was a grand piano sitting in the middle of the studio. There was also a tiny table with chairs perhaps for recess? There was nobody there, yet. I slowly approached the piano and put my bad down on the foot of the piano bench. I ran my fingers over the piano. I didnt notice him coming in until he spoke which startled me. 

"Ready for your first lesson?" I heard his low voice said. I jumped, surprised. Clumsily I got up and intended to greet him when my foot caught on the piano bench and I fell on my . ! This is beyond embarrasing! I felt my face hot and my hurt. He chuckled and offered to help me up. I avoided his gaze. We both sat down side by side at the piano bench. I can feel him so close me. Even the slightest accidental brush of his arm over mine can trigger electricity jolt which made my stomach churned. What is wrong with me today? Have I contracted stomach flu?

"You should have told me you were leaving," he said, getting out a few music pieces from his bag. 

I cleared my throat. What was I supposed to say to that?

"Sorry. I just didnt wanna wake you up. Anyway, thanks for letting me stay," I said, a little uncomfortable at the thought of what's happened a couple of nights ago. 

He chuckled again. What's so funny?

"You're not the type to ask for help, arent you?" he asked, stoppig what he's doing and looked at me. Suddenly I feel small.

"Uh, no," I said, didnt know what to answer. Maybe he's right. I barely ask for help. I guess you can say I am independant. 

"You know, once in a while, it's okay to ask for help," he said, matter of factly. 

I was speechless. Where are we going with this?

"Are you ready to learn?" he asked. I nodded. 

"Okay, lets see how much you can play," he said, indirectly asking me to play any song I know. Shoot. I havent touched a freaking piano since I was like 10 or 12. 

"Uh, I uh..I havent played in a while. The only song I can play was that cat song I played last time," I said, intimidated. 

"Ah jjinja? Oh, that's okay then. Lets just refresh your mind and start with the scales," he said, getting up and to my surprise, he took my hands and gingerl place them on the piano.

"This is where you start," he explained, standing behind me. My heart beat faster at the sound of his voice not far from my ear.

Then he continued guiding my hands throughout the lesson. I was nervous and surprised that he taught so well. Now I can remember playing those scales. 

He sat down beside me afterwards and gathered his things. Then he glanced at me and pursed his lips. His dimples made visible. 

"Lesson's over," he said, zipping his bag. 

"Thanks," I said, tucking my hair behind my ear. I noticed him staring at me intently. I looked down. My face felt hot. My body started to cold sweat. My heart beating faster. 

"Gui Gui," he called. 

My heart stopped at the mention of my name. There's something about the way he mentioned my name but I couldnt quiet put my finger on it yet. 

"Hm?" I said, glancing up at him. My breathing increased. 

"Are you...not comfortable around me?" He asked, leaning close. 

I heard my heart beating faster. Just when I think he would lean closer, he stopped. He reached up and removed somwthing over my face. I was instantly shy. He held my gaze. 

"I like your eyes," he said, tucking the strand of hair off my face to get a clearer view of my eyes. I gulped. This is not good. 

I abruptly got up and took my bag. I bowed slightly and after a soft thank you, I ran out, leaving him speechless. 

I just dont wanna do this all over again. I dont wanna fall in love...