Once Upon A Time

Runaway Little Ghost

Taecyeon

I smiled at her response. She's playing it safe. Well, at least I can taste her cooking. Deciding that I should cook something for her as well, I called up Seohyun to ask what Gui Gui might like to eat. 

"Oh Seohyun~ah! Are you busy?" I asked as soon as I heard Seohyun answered her phone. 

"Oh oppa, I'm on my way to my parents house. What is it oppa?" she asked, making me more embarrassed to ask the question.

"Err..well.. I just wanna know..what does Gui Gui like to eat?" I asked, stuttering. 

"Oh..emm..well, she eats everything. She'll try anything. But oppa, dont give her coffee because her stomach cant take it. An oh, she doesnt like tomato sauce," Seohyun answered. 

"Oh jinjja? Okay. thanks Seohyun~ah," I said, glad that I asked her. 

"Oppa, you could've ask unnie these question. Why sudddenly..?" Seohyun asked, curious.

"Oh, I was just curious. That's all," I lied, didnt want to let her know of our plan. 

"Mmm..okay oppa..arrasso-yo. Bye" Seohyun then hang up. 

To be honest I think Seohyun can pretty much tell what I am up to. She's so smart, as well. 

****

I rang the door bell and a few seconds later, Gui Gui was standing in front of the door, looking a bit flustered. She motioned me in and I immediately followed her to the kitchen. 

There, on the kitchen, on the chopping was a chicken, and a knife. Gui Gui put on her gloves and starts sawing through the chicken but failed. She tired using two hands but failed. I was too stunned that I froze. She put the knife down, biting her lower lip and looked at me, pleading. Her big eyes turned doe. 

"Oppa, I cant cook," she apologised, looking like she wanted to cry. 

I smiled. I should have known. I went over to the sink and washed my hands. I put on the apron and gloves. I pickeed up the knife and started cutting the chicken into half. She watched me from the side. She seemed scared. I tried to make her comfortable. 

"What do you wanna cook?" I asked.

"Ermm..Taiwanese chicken soup," she answered,  wincing at the sound of the knife hitting the chopping board. 

"Wow, that sounds nice. Is this enough?" I asked, motioning at the chicken meat that I've chopped. 

"Uh..ye-yeah, that's enough. Th-thanks," she replied, taking the knife from me. 

"Be careful with the knife," I said, knowing quite well her abilities to strike minor accidents.

Thankfully, she managed to wash everything and put them back nicely without a scratch. 

Next. she took out some veggies and starts cutting them. I took the time to take out my ingredients that I brought along with me. Kimchi, carrots etc. I was planning on making kimchi fried rice. 

"Oppa, what are you doing?" she asked, looking at me. 

"I'll cook something for us," I answered, taking out the rice from the rice cooker. I was relieved the rice cooked well. 

"I' supposed to cook for you oppa," she said, a little sad. 

"Kenchana..we'll cook and eat together, okay?" I said, looking at her.

She smiled and nodded. And so we spent the next hour cooking our dinner while chatting on simple topics like the weather and how Taian is different from Korea. 

 

*****

After a fullfilling dinner, we finally sat down on the couch enjoying the wine I brought. Gui Gui fell silent. She twirled her wine glass and in a matter of seconds gulped down her wine in one shot. She pursed her lips and closed her eyes. Then she opened her eyes and got up to fill in her glass again. I watched her with amusement. 

"People ran away from me," she suddenly said, eyes looking down on the wine glass. 

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked, not understanding what she said. 

"You asked me yesterday why I run away. Its because people ran away from my life since I was a child," she explained. 

I did not expect her to tell me this. I looked at her saw that her cheeks were sligtly blushing. Wait, is she drunk already?

"Mom left me when was I just a kid. Dad got into deep depression for a while because of that. I only had dad. Dad struggled to bring me up," she said, gulping another glass in one shot. She then took the whole bottle and drank from there. I was too stunned to stop her. 

"Then in high school I met a guy I thought was the one. Not until I found him with my oen best friend, , in my bed. That guy cheated on me and my money. He took away my savings and never even apologised. I lost them there and then. Never heard from them again," she sobbed. Wait, she's crying?

I felt sad watching her like this. I did not expect for someone so beautiful, with sparkling big eyes to have such a sad past. When she cry I just want to hold her in y arms and tell her nobody can hurt her no more. 

"Gui Gui.." I said, not sure what to say seeing her sobbing. He shoulders shook as she tried to hold in her sobs. 

"That's why I ran away from you, before you have any chance of running away from me," she said, looking up at me. Her big eyes now filled with tears. 

"Gui Gui, I would never do that to you," I said, reaching out to caress her arm. She avoided. 

"Dont make a promise if you're not sure yourself." she whispered. She buried her face in her hands and started crying hard. 

I felt really bad seeing her this way. I never want to see her cry. I felt resentment towards those hurting her. I scooted over to her side nad gently, putting my arms around her waist, I picked her up and craddled her on my lap. Her head resting on my chest. She grabbed hold of my green sweater as she coninued to cry.

"Shhh..its okay, I'm here," I soothed, caressing her hair. 

We stayed that way for a while. After I heard no more sob I turned slightly to catch a glimpse of her face and sure enough, she had cried herself to sleep in my arms. I chuckled. She does need someone to protect her. She seemed so vulnerable with her guards down. I slowly got up and carried her bridal style into her bedroom. Gently, I put her on her bed and put the comforter over her small body. I sat at the side of her bed as I watch her sleep. I leaned closer and felt her breath on my face. I reached over and kissed her forehead, long enough to smell her sweet scent. I then walked out of the room, turning off the light and went over to the kitchen to clean up the mess, with my heart feeling heavier to leave her side.