Mystery #7

† MYSTERIOUS YಠU † - {신비한 그대}
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"Do I really have to do that for her?”  Minseok stared at the new tablet on the table

Halmeoni gave him a light nudge and pouted with a whole look of plead on her expression.

“AHH HALMEONI! Fine Fine Fine! I’ll do it I’ll do it so stop making that.. that face!” 

And at once, she clasped her hands together in joy but her face fell once again. Minseok knew almost immediately what she’s going to say next.

“Minseok ah, have you really forgotten? Or you’re too young to remember?” Halmeoni taps her chin doubtfully.

He didn’t answer, because this was something he don’t want to answer. Of course he remember, how can he ever forget? Because remembering about her is the same as remembering about him, and he didn't want to reminisce about any of the past.

The fortunate thing is, she doesn’t seem to remember him. Halmeoni said it was the posttraumatic amnesia or anything along that line that might have caused a certain loss of memory of whatever happened before the accident. None of my business, he thought. It was best she remembered nothing. As long as she doesn’t gets in him way around the house. It was always him who plays with her. She was such a crybaby.

“Take care of her while you’re in school too.”

Minseok nodded absentmindedly and pushed Halmeoni out of the room. “Now if you please go out, I have to study.”

She gave him and eyeful and closed the door before her. When the door closed lightly, he sighed.

"Take care of her… huh."

+ + + + +

 

Walking alone in the school compound doesn’t really seem like a bad thing to do. Except that, I am not exactly alone.

Ravi’s been “talking” non-stop ever since I left the classroom. Doesn’t he see that I have no intention to even acknowledge his existence? Nonetheless since I’ve agreed to help him, I have no choice but to oblige. And so now, we’re heading to the school’s library because I have to find out the class he was in for a start.

I couldn’t touch anything not to mention flipping the books. Now that you’re here aren’t you my savior?? And it’s so great finally someone  sees me. Do you have any idea how much time I’ve wasted searching for an angel like you? Not that there really is angels… I haven’t met one yet. Why haven’t I met one I-

“No. I am not. And can you be quiet for a minute?” I say that aloud unknowingly and the male student walking in my direction shifts his gaze at me with that who-is-she-talking-to written all over his bewildered face. I almost cussed but the eager look on Ravi’s face kind of dismissed my embarrassment a little.

Having a ghost who’s familiar with the area as a company isn’t bad at all. All I have to do is to follow closely behind, which is hard to keep up sometimes because he doesn’t always walk. Without a physical body might be one of the best things on earth because you can take as many short cuts as you like, like passing through walls or things freely. Saves time.

We’re at the aisle where the supposedly year books over the decades, since the founding of this school, were kept. Ravi points to the stem of the one that has got ‘SM HIGH YEAR OF 2015’ printed in gold.

“You just passed away? What happened?”

I died happened.

But he didn’t look at me when he said that.

Right. What a stupid question. I remove the book from the shelf and remember something in the process. Wouldn’t there be Minseok and his friends in this book too? But then again, I wouldn’t even recognize them even if I see them in here. I haven’t even met them afterall. Not that I want to meet them anyway.  

Ravi stares expectantly at the book as I flip the hard cover open. One page after one I search for someone who looks like him. Then I stop at the class photo of 1B because that’s where I see him, Ravi, smiling at the camera. He doesn’t actually look bad in the photo than he is now. If not for the pale skin, purplish lips and dark eye rings he must be quite a popular kid too. And on the next page was the class photo of 1C.

A gasp escaped my lips almost at once.

Right in the middle stood Minseok, an actual smiling cheerful sunshine Minseok and beside him stood the boy I’ve met earlier. Tracing back to the name list at the bottom I finally know his name; Luhan. Even his name has a nice ring to it.

There is also an informal shot right below the formal one. A frown creases on my forehead at the sight of it. It isn’t even hard to guess how good their relationship is, Minseok and Luhan. Arms around each other smiling so brightly, they were so happy and full of innocence, just like any other first year freshmen will be. Halmeoni’s words rang in my ears, maybe Luhan is the one she’s been talking about? The one who left?

Are they ignoring each other now? Is that why Luhan has got that sad expression on his face? Maybe he still cares.

Please log in to read the full chapter