Mystery #41

† MYSTERIOUS YಠU † - {신비한 그대}
Please log in to read the full chapter

“It was a snowy night when I first met your parents…” She began.

I was a newly appointed grim reaper, on my first job. The one soul I was supposed to capture was a serial murderer who had died and escaped from many other Reapers but continued to wreak havoc on this land. It was a chance for me to prove myself and move up the ranks.

I was young and motivated and had found his location successfully. On the way to him, I met another Reaper who was to bring a soul of a young motorcyclist to the other side after his death; slipping on frozen icy on a dark road dying from head concussion.

Nobody else was supposed to die that night other than him.

That was when I realized the evil spirit could be involved somehow.  

It happened fast. A loud bang and the young man died on the spot, but I saw the spirit who misdirected the course of the wild motorcycle into an incoming car on the opposite side. The car crashed straight through the railings for the cold frozen river in the attempt to try to avoid the impact and I saw two other reapers by my side.

Then I know, I was too late.

The lady in the front passenger seat looked right at me before her last breath and I saw the young soul at the back seat, barely alive but breathing. Hers was not one to perish that night. I knew in that instant her mother was one of the rare human beings in this earth that could see us and I knew, that young girl have the ability too, just not yet awaken. And that she was in danger too.

She begged me with her very last breath to remove this young girl’s memories of this night. I hesitated and that horrendous soul escaped before I could cuff him.

“This is such a wreck job, aren’t you going to capture that loose soul soon? Are we going to get more unwritten souls in our accounts now?” I heard the other reapers said as they guided her parents away, the lady was still begging with her eyes and I did the one thing no reapers are supposed to do, definitely not to anyone alive. I erased her memories but I was inexperienced and I panicked. Out of anxiety of an escaped soul and breaking the Grim Law, I’ve also accidentally erased the last thoughts that flashed through her mind. She lay painfully on the back seat, breathing heavily, waiting for her own death that will never come.

And that near-death experience became the trigger to her Sight.

I was apologetic and watched her since it happened and in turn I met Lee who was also searching for her. His boss, this lady, had asked for him to search for the couple’s only daughter. Right when I felt that at least a ray of light was shining at this little girl, darkness yet again took over when I received a second soul to guide to the other side; it was Lee.

Ill fate you say, I was surprised by god’s twisted sense of humor.

But of course, I still saved him trying to capture that Murderer.

He was growing stronger by feeding on people’s desires. He affected their mental and drove people crazy. He was the one probability that affected the whole picture. I had to capture him. It was my job.

He had feasted on a salary man who had recently lost a job. Lee had bumped into him by accident and he was going to stab him out of all his pent up anger. I jumped at the opportunity, a stone to kill two birds. I was too young too eager that I messed up yet again, but in turn I saved this man and he gained the ability to see me.

He asked for me to follow him home that he had someone he needed me to meet and he promised me that he will leave with me after that.

I followed him home and realized this lady could see me too.

The string of fate was indeed playing us like a fly trapped in a spider’s web.

She recognized me immediately. In that moment she looked at me with teary eyes and called me by an unfamiliar name. In that instant I knew, I was someone she held dear but those memories were long gone. I couldn’t remember at all, our memories were taken the moment we were guided to the other side by Grim Reapers. I am not the husband she remembered me to be. 

She told me she had been trying to communicate with spirits to find her son’s wife. Her son was wasting life away, neglecting duties, pushing every ounce of responsibilities on his naïve young teenage boy. She was worried sick as she didn’t witness her daughter-in-law’s soul being guided.

That was when she found out that an evil spirit had been doing a great deal of harm. The spirit I had let escaped had been capturing souls as his prize in return he feeds on their sadness, fear and pain. He was still the terrible being as when he was alive.

And she believes that his son’s wife might be one of them. We decided to work together. I asked her for the reason she searched for the surviving young girl. She told me she was greatly in debt to the girl’s mother for she was the one that saved young master’s father from the evil spirit a long time ago. His mind was weak from a lost love and his soul was the perfect subject to be feasted on.

That was when every pieces of the puzzle came together. This entity was something out for a great revenge. He came at that girl’s mother with only a single motive and that was to kill her for wrecking his “meal”. But I never told this lady that of course. For a short moment I was afraid she was to be harmed too and

Please log in to read the full chapter