Mystery #18

† MYSTERIOUS YಠU † - {신비한 그대}
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yoo Jung looks at the older lady chit-chatting with a group of finely suit-up men and raised her eyebrows at the sight.

“Didn’t you say she was looking for me?”

Minseok shrugs indifferently while taking a sip from his glass. “You’ve kept her waiting for too long.”

Yoo Jung rolls her eyes almost immediately. “That was a lie wasn’t it.”

The other male puts his glass down then raises a hand to acknowledge one of the ba-bling guests who just strolled into the gathering. Yoo Jung isn’t exactly hoping for a reply for she knows how he has a weird hobby of teasing her.

“Maybe.” He leans in again and chastely whispers in her ear.

She almost jumps a little for his voice had sent uninvited goosebumps up her bare arms. She thought she heard him laugh.

“The party is getting boring.” Minseok grumbles under his breath just loud enough or as if for her to hear. However, the most amazing part is how he still manages to keep a perfect welcoming expression. Yoo Jung herself is pretty taken aback by his ability to look interested, raising his hand at a few guests every now and then. Sometimes exchanging simple yet obviously patronizing greetings, it was as though the words came out rehearsed, programmed. While Yoo Jung is the one being too stiff, too awkward and unnatural.

“Relax. Just nod and smile. They’re just people.” She remembered what he’d told her before two middle-aged ladies joined them for a short conversation. Or should it be a matchmaking contest. It didn’t take an idiot to know how much the ladies hope to marry their daughters to the Kims; boasting about their daughters’ beauty, intelligence. Nonetheless, Minseok never seemed very interested. His smiles never touched his eyes. Not once. And this seems to make Yoo Jung more relieved. It doesn’t even bother her how the ladies give her awkward glances every now and then, trying to acknowledge her presence, keep her in the conversation.

She knows how it is all on the surface. Just because the Kims are influential, no matter how unpresentable she appears, nobody will give her even a sign of displease or judgmental look. Everywhere she turns, as long as gazes lock, she will receive smiles in return. Because to them, to offend the Kims is the first step to ending their business.

That’s how powerful they are and she almost heaved a sigh of relieve, thank the gods for being kind to her.

 

“Let’s go take a breather.” Minseok says suddenly, breaking Yoo Jung’s daze.

Before she even has time to reply, he already has his hand on her back. To other guests, they see gentlemen leading a lady out of the room. What actually happens is Minseok using his scarily strong hand to push her out of the room. She doesn’t even have a chance to reject, let alone retaliate. Best part is, she has to smile briefly at every human being they pass by while Minseok seems to enjoy the whole attention.

 

Hakyeon has yet again missed the opportunity to have a drink with Yoo Jung as his eyes follow the duo across the room. He has been busy patronizing his parent’s “partners”. The part about his dad being owner of them Rich-Men Nightclubs in town, especially having one ranking as high as one of the top 3 in Gangnam, doesn’t affect how people view the Cha family. The definition of Nightclubs has brought a whole new meaning to the game of wealth these days. Nightclubs are for the wealthy and heavy spenders. While Pubs are for the moody, the live band fanatics. And Clubs are simply for young adults to get wasted, or to get laid. Whatever kinds of clubs or pubs out there, at least that’s how Hakyeon defines his dad’s line of profession.

His big brother on the other hand, a lady-killer, and at the moment having some “interesting” conversation with a group of middle-aged ladies, majoring in management and is all set in taking over the family business after graduation which is due in another semester.

Not that Hakyeon cared, but he seems the least interested in such places, with eardrum exploding loud music. He’ll rather play games or slam dunk. With some of the guests here being frequent VVIPs at his dad’s nightclubs, especially the Im family, it wouldn’t be surprising how a big drinker Jae In’s mother is. It is only natural for the Chas to be here or to be anywhere that involves active wealthy gatherings. "Bringing in more business." so his dad says.

But seeing Yoo Jung seems to ignite some long ceased fire deep within him. He feels the need to present himself in a more serious manner, to drop the aloof him before her. Hence with the active socializing/patronizing, just hoping that if Yoo Jung was to catch him somewhere she will see a different side to his usual

Please log in to read the full chapter