Mystery #24

† MYSTERIOUS YಠU † - {신비한 그대}
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dinner is the usual course meal with cakes as dessert. What have I done to deserve such royal treatment? To think that dinner for the past few years has always been rather, frightening, maybe because I was always alone. Now that I have “a family”, even with Mr Ghost sitting right next to me, sniffing the food I put aside as discreetly as possible for him, I am not bothered by his overwhelming presence. For Minseok’s presence is strong here.

Halmeoni always starts with an update of random knick-knacks of her day, she never fails to involve us in her work. I wonder if that’s in a way, prep-training for the future CEO of the Corporation. The only time when Minseok really genuinely shows most of his emotions has got to be this part of the day, when he talks to Halmeoni.

From time to time, he smiles even though briefly, even though a little forced sometime just to patronize her, but anyone can feel how much he cares. Even I get a little charmed by this side of him, though I am more puzzled than ever. Aren’t you tired for putting up so many different masks each time?

He looks up suddenly from his plate as if looking for something on my expression, and looks away, smiling. I made a face. What’s so funny? Though I hate to admit, my heart skipped a beat.

“Our Yoo Jung ah,” Halmeoni calls with a hint of playfulness, “how are you doing in school so far? Did Minseok bully you? Did anyone give you any problems?” her expression changes to that of a playful seriousness, as if telling me she will punish anyone who bullies me.

I turn to Minseok, who finds his half eaten strawberry shortcake funny for he has been smiling at it since Halmeoni called my name. You have no idea how I am almost going to sabotage him but I couldn’t do it, because somehow, I couldn’t really find an exact situation where he actually caused me trouble. A frown creases on my forehead and I know Halmeoni sees more than just my dumbfounded expression.

“I see you’ve been doing pretty well in school, thanks to Minseok. Right?” She asks, side glancing him whom, in the corner of my eyes, only shrugs nonchalantly. 

I am left speechless, now staring at him, spacing out somehow.

All these while, though I was always too annoyed by his prince syndrome to really see it, he has been taking care of me. In his own weird bossy ways, and somehow with his help whether indirectly, I gained friends, Hakyeon and then most unexpectedly; Jae In. Yet, I’ve never once said,

“Thanks.”

The word came out of my mouth without warning. I haven’t realized what I’ve said, but the sudden silence filled the atmosphere and even Mr. Ghost decides to finally give us some privacy.

“What did you say?” Minseok’s head jerks up abruptly with a new expression. I never know someone like him could even make such a surprised face. I couldn’t help but burst a loud laughter, and Halmeoni joins in together, filling the air with our voices.

He looks away, straightening uncomfortably in his seat and clears his throat awkwardly. Maybe he acknowledged, or he didn’t, but one thing for sure, my unexpected thanks caught him off guard and he never once tries to shot me another of his smug look again until dinner ends on a rather cheerful note.

“Rest well, my adorable grandchildren.” Halmeoni says before leaving for another skype conference she has scheduled.

I get up after her, turning towards the direction of the corridor to our rooms.

“Eh water balloon.” Minseok calls suddenly and I roll my eyes at the new nickname he somehow given me. Why does he always have to be so damn annoying?

I shot him a glare. “What is it you want now?”

He jerks a thumb out of the window. The garden?

“Follow me.” He says or whispered or I’m not really sure why he looked so uncomfortable before walking towards the back door that leads to the garden.

“You wish.” I mutter under my breath and ignore him completely, continue making my way towards the corridor.

All of a sudden, someone grab my arm and spun me around, and then I am being dragged away, towards the door leadi

Please log in to read the full chapter