The Distance between Them

My Six Voodoo Dolls

The next few days dragged on rather sluggishly for Jae Ren. She noticed how Jinyoung was acting more distant. Sure, he was still always her partner on everything, but he didn't joke with her as often. He didn't play his stupid little pranks on her too. He was less protective of her, and she asked herself if she did anything wrong.

Soon, her mood started to drop as she noticed he was putting distance between them. VIXX noticed this, and so did CNU. VIXX would always try to cheer her up. It came to the point that even Leo participated. CNU would just observe her, and N was aware of this. But he let it go. He knew that CNU knew that this was about Jinyoung again.

What N didn't know was how Jae Ren was unaware of her feelings. He somehow thought she already knew. He admits he feels weird because she was getting sad over someone, and he sometimes asks what if he was the one she was sad over. But he shakes those thoughts away.

He's not an expert in emotions. He might even be denser than Jinyoung.

"Hey." N poked Jae Rens cheek. "Stop that."

"Stop what?" Jae Ren blinked confusedly. They were sitting by the bleachers now. It was break time.

"That." N simply said.

"What?" Jae Ren asked again. "You should be more specific, you know."

"You know... that." N answered again. He was just trying to annoy her. But he gave up when she gave him an exasperated look. "You're no fun." N scrunched his nose. "I want you stop frowning. I know you can jump ages and all, but you'll look 40 next year if you don't stop."

"Hey where are the others?" Jae Ren ignored his comment. She whipped her head from side-to-side.

"They're with B1A4." N answered. "I think they went out to check on the rank list for the Physical Fitness Test we had last Wednesday."

"Why didn't you come with them?" Jae Ren raised an eyebrow at him. "It's probably because you did the worst~" She teased.

"No." N frowned. "I'm sure I did better than all of B1A4." He pouted. "And, you made us limit our abilities." He reasoned.

"Yeah. No need to cry." She chuckled. "I'm betting Leo did the best among you?"

N grumbled, "I would've done much better if I was serious." He crossed his arms, making Jae Ren laugh at his childishness. And for a second, N softened. He finally made her laugh! For REAL. Usually, she'd just fake them these past few days. He went back to his scowling face just to humor her.

But he really did treasure her laughter. He heard from B1A4 how she rarely did that in the past. Even with Jinyoung around. It somehow made him feel special. Even if he had 5 other people with him.

 

"Hey, hyung? Why are you avoiding Jae Ren?" Sandeul asked all of a sudden as they walked back to the Gym. They already checked the results, along with the other students. And true to Jae Ren's prophecy, Leo did the best among them. Gongchan and Sandeul were last among them. But they're ranks were already rather high.

Jinyoung stiffened, and the 5 VIXX members curiously glanced at him.

"What do you mean?" Jinyoung looked at Sandeul. "I'm not."

"You are." Gongchan interjected. "You don't annoy her as often." He commented with a grin. "But seriously hyung. You don't talk to her as often and you don't use that face anymore."

"What face?" Hongbin curiously asked.

"The 'i miss you Jae Ren~' face." Baro imitated Jinyoungs pouty face before laughing.

"Yah! I don't do that!" Jinyoung's ears redenned.

"Oooooh. I bet you realized your feelings for her and then you distanced yourself because you’re shy!" Gongchan said in one breathe, and they all turned to him.

"Wrong!" Jinyoung shook his head fervently. It really was wrong. It was near to the truth, but it was still wrong.

As they went inside the gym, the boys spotted and N and Jae Ren immediately.

"Look who's jealous~" Ken nudged Jinyoung.

"Am not." Jinyoung retaliated. Seriously, he wasn't. He didn't feel anything anymore. He didn't feel that tightening in his chest that he always used to feel when he saw Jae Ren with someone else. Isn't that a good thing?

When the boys started teasing Jinyoung again, even when they were already nearing Jae Ren, the pack leader started giving CNU pleading looks. As if asking for his help.

CNU shrugged and looked away, making Jinyoung frown.

*I'm not helping you unless you stop being dense.* CNU thought to himself as his eyes drifted to Jae Ren. He saw her glance their way-particularly at Jinyoung-and she looked away abruptly. Her eyes seemed to have shined at the sight of their pack leader. *Why can't you notice that, Jinyoung?* CNU irritatedly asked himself.