Her Awakened Senses

My Six Voodoo Dolls

Jae Rens Point of View

I woke up feeling horrible. It was like I was lying down on broken glass, and I was annoyed of hearing the breathing sounds around me. I immediately sat up, thoroughly annoyed with the sounds and I was slightly surprised to see VIXX just standing there inside my room.

"Wha-" I stopped myself because my voice sounded like it was coming out of a megaphone.

"Shh. Jae." N whispered quietly, but his voice was loud and clear. It was near to the normal shouting volume of a creature, but I could see that he was whispering. "You're senses are slightly heightened. Be careful. Just the slightest wrong movement can be painful. You will experience this for 3 hours before your senses dull down. Do you understand?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but shut it closed and nodded instead.

Even my own skin felt annoying to me. The once soft bed of mine felt like broken glass and my blankets were rough against my skin. It was like everything was against me!

"Do you want something to eat?" Hongbin asked and handed me a plate off eggs carefully. "You shouldn't get up and move."

When I reached for the plate, I winced at the contact with it and retracted my hand. "Ow."

N took the plate and frowned. "It's still too hot for her."

"But I made this 15 min-never mind." Hongbin shook his head and smiled at me. "I'll go cool this by fanning it." Before I could say anything to object, he already left the room with his amazing speed.

"I don't understand." I whispered. "Why is everything so loud... so hot... and so rough?"

"Your senses are heightened." N said. "The more sensitive you are, the more powerful your magic is. Judging from how you're acting to 15 minute old eggs, you are really off the charts." He commented with a smile, but that smile soon disappeared and was replaced by a serious expression. "Promise me you can handle this, okay?"

I nodded. "But why? It's not THAT bad. It'll wear off right? OR IT WONT?!" I winced at my loud voice.

"It will." He chuckled. "But some witches or warlocks turn insane with this process..." He said, and I could feel my eyes widen. "They just can't take it. Every minute was pure torture. They could taste every grain of salt in food, and feel the slight movement of wind. One touch from another creature felt like a hot iron brand being pushed into their skin. It's madness." He shook his head. "It's why the strongest magic always comes with the highest prices."

"But I didn't ask for this..." I brokenly whispered and I was about to hug my knees, but my body was just numb and the blankets felt like they were scratching me.

"I'm sorry, Jae..." N frowned and stared at the floor guiltily. "But I don't know how to help you. I don't know how to lessen the pain or make it wear off quickly. I'm sorry-"

"Its okay, it's okay." I frantically said. His guilty and crestfallen expression really makes me feel like the worst person in the world. "I was just kidding. I'll be fine. I promise."

*I wish I could believe that.* N grimly thought.

"So can I do magic now?" I asked out of the blue.

"Yeah. But I have to check something." N darted out of the room and went back, only gone for 5 seconds. He was holding a thick brown book. Its spine had a lot of creases on it, and it just looked plainly old. "Don't let looks deceive you." He said, as if he read my mind. "Concentrate, and what do you see?"

~Authors Point of View~

Jae Ren was confused, but gave the book a second look. It really was old. But she squinted her eyes when she thought she saw it shine. She concentrated on the book and tipped her head to the right curiously. Her eyes widened when she saw what she was talking about.

It was a bronze plated book with flat black gem-like stones in the front, forming an X.

"See?" N smiled. "Only people who look hard enough can notice it. And since this book is entitled to you, it would be a whole lot easier." He explained and opened the book. "Your grandmother handed this down to you. The black gems in the front cover are actually magic inhalers."

"Inhalers?" Jae Ren curiously repeated.

"Magic energy is all around us, Jae. It floats in the very air we breathe. That magic keeps this book working." N explained. He pressed his palm on the open book and mumbled a short spell. Only 3 words. He carefully sat down beside her on the bed and showed her the book. The letters started to form, and soon even pictures.

"What is this?" She asked as she ran her fingers through the paper, and watched in awe as the letters avoided her fingers but continued to their destination. "What's it saying?"

"Witch Scents." N ran a finger through the top of the page, and what he said formed. "Every witch has a distinct smell which tells them what their specialty will be."

"Really?" Jae Rens eyes widened in interest. "What do I smell like?"

"When you were unconscious, we could smell Lavender off of you. But you smell different now. I can’t pinpoint it yet. But I can at least tell you what the smells mean." He shrugged.

"Actually," Jae Ren cleared awkwardly. "That was my lotion. I just tried it today... so... I don't think I'm a Lavender." She bit her lip. "What does Lavender mean anyway?"

"Illusion magic." N pointed at the book. "Over here. Lavender Scents have stronger Illusions, and also longer lasting. Their illusions are on par with reality, and can be improved still." He read out loud.

"Oh." She pouted. "That would've been cool."

N shook his head while chuckling. "You can still use illusion magic, but it won’t be as powerful. Let's see if you'd be interested in the other scents. Here, we have the Gardenias..."

Jae Ren listened intently, and sometimes joked around with N.

The times like these, was when N forgot that he was her doll and she was his master. He forgot that he was at her disposal. But that was because he trusted her now. More than ever. He trusted her that she wouldn't do that. And he trusted her enough to be a friend. A relationship he never thought he would have with his master.