Sick Jae Ren

My Six Voodoo Dolls

"Yeah. When they arrive, I'll go. I know, I know. I won't be late. I promise." Jinyoung exhaled. "I think I would remember my father’s own birthday, hyung." He made a face.

"I was just reminding you." CNU said through the phone. "Again: Don't be late! Uncle said he's going to talk to us."

"Arasso, hyung. Bye." Jinyoung locked his phone and sat at Jae Rens study desks' chair. He was silently watching her sleep, changing the towel on her forehead once in a while. She still hasn't woken up and Jinyoung knew how her temperature was too high for any regular fever.

"I'm sorry, Jae..." Jinyoung brokenly whispered. "It's my fault... I should've taken care of you more... It's my entire fault."

Jinyoung went nearer to her and her cheek. He felt her abnormally high temperature but something smelled off.

No, she didn't smell in a bad way. But her scent was different. It was a small difference, almost impossible to notice, but he did.

He smelled the faint scent of Lavender. His eyebrows furrowed as he confusedly gazed at Jae Rens sleeping face. *Lavender...? Jae Ren never wears perfume.*

"We're here!"

Hyuk burst in the room with an anxious expression. Thankfully, Jinyoung was already standing and not having his face only inches away from hers like earlier.

"Hyuk. You could've waited!" Jingyoung heard Hongbin holler from downstairs half a second before the latter appeared like the wind beside Hyuk.

"Sorry if Hyuk startled you, hyung." Hongbin frowned at the maknae who was already kneeling beside Jae Ren with his hand on her forehead. "He's been jumpy ever since you left."

"I understand." Jinyoung lightly chuckled. *I really do.* "I'll be going now."

"Wait." Hongbin appeared beside Jinyoung and placed a hand on his shoulder before he could jump off the balcony and turn into his form. "N hyung says he's sorry. He didn't mean to flip out earlier. He was just worried. We all kinda are." He motioned with his head to Hyuk who was gazing at Jae Ren and her hair.

"It's okay." Jinyoung tried his best to smile, and not possessively slap Hyuks hands away. "I'll be going. I have somewhere to go. Take care of her for me." He grinned and jumped off, turning into a wolf and disappearing to the clump of trees infront of the house.

They waited for approximately 4 seconds before Ravi came in the room and said, "He's gone."

Hongbin nodded and removed the towel from Jae Rens forehead. This wouldn't be needed anymore, since they knew what her condition was.

"She'll wake up in about 6-8 hours. She'll be awakened by then. But all of her senses would be extremely sensitive. Even the feeling of rough clothes could make her cry." N appeared out of nowhere, using his Windwalker speed. "Hongbin, make the blandest food on this dimension for morning. Don't even put a single grain of salt."

Hongbin nodded obediently and watched as the leader tucked Jae Ren in the blankets.

"I'll write some runes to make a shield for this house." N informed. "We have to make sure that nothing remotely loud would reach her ears."

Hyuk stood up and sat on the chair that Jinyoung sat on earlier. "I wonder what she'll smell like?"

Witches had distinctive scents. Every scent told you a part of their personality and power. And these scents are also warning beacons, making them a weakness.

Citrus smelling witches had enhanced ability over sun and heat magic.

Lilacs over water.

Pine or other forest smelling witches had enhanced ability of Nature.

There were many other scents out there, and Jae Rens grandmother smelled of Cinammon. She had enhanced ability of the wind.

"Maybe she'll smell like Roses." Ravi shrugged.

"Nah. I don't think she's the type to use Fire magic." Ken appeared like a blur inside the room.

"Carnation?" Hyuk suggested.

"She doesn't look like a beast tamer." Hongbin furrowed his eyebrows.

"Ken. Smell her." N ordered. Ken did so without hesitation and inched his face nearer to Jae Rens.

"... Lavender..."

All of them except N made confused faces. The leader was smiling at Jae Ren while the other members were curiously looking at their leader.

"What do lavenders mean?" Leo quietly asked.

"Illusion." N's smile widened. "Her illusion magic is far more advanced. Illusion magic has a wide range, and this would be a good thing for her. Except..."

"THEY would want her even more." Ravi frowned. "Those dirty dark mages would do anything to have another witch in their collection."

"I heard they even corrupted an Elven base and made them dark elves." Ken growled. "Those guys sure know how to fight low."

"Don't tell me, they attacked at broad daylight." Hongbin said through gritted teeth. Everyone knew Elves were weaker at daylight and stronger at Night. Especially since they can camouflage into the darkness at night.

"Does that mean they killed old Master?" Hyuk asked with a sad tone. Their old master may not have been that kind to them, but she created them. She was still a huge chunk of their lives.

"I don't know, Hyuk. But there's got to be a reason why she died early. It hasn't even been a week." N said with a thoughtful expression. "Maybe she overdid another of her spells."

"Like what? She should know fully well that her life force is already being out of her body since she stopped drinking the elixir." Ravi commented. "So why would she?"

"I don't know..." N exhaled and softly gazed at Jae Ren. "She's kept a lot of things from us, if you didn't know."

"Like what?" Ken asked.

"Like how she always made it an appointment to watch over Jae Ren on her magic mirror every day." N answered. "And how she secretly put her Information book inside the enchanted suitcase." He added.

"Information book?" Hongbin inquiered.

"It’s a book powered by the users magic. The pages change contents every day and only the witch could really control what she wants to see." N informed. "I saw it while I was unloading the bag. It was there but Jae Rens name was on it, not Jaekyun." N paused a little before saying their old masters name. It felt so foreign because he's never uttered her name before.

"If it’s powered by her magic, then wont it continuously her magic out every day?" Ravi furrowed his eyebrows.

"No. It doesn't work like that. It just... reacts to the magic. Not really using it." N explained as simply as he could.

They all let the silence consume the room, and only Jae Rens ragged breathing was heard. Causing high discomfort for everyone.

"Will she really be alright?" Hongbin worriedly asked.

"The witch explained to me once. It's normal. She's just feverish because the magic is slowly spreading throughout her system." N explained, but the worry in his eyes gave him away.

"You dont seem to believe that." Leo pointed out. "Tell me what you really think: Will she be alright?"

The other members turned their gaze to N, who was now kneeling beside Jae Rens bed.

"I hope. I hope she'll be alright. But I also somehow know that because she's strong. She survived alone, all this time. She'll be alright. She won’t die from the awakening." N softly said. "I admit: some witches and warlocks DO die. But she won't. I feel it. I feel her fighting spirit inside this feverish body of hers. Don't you?"

They all remained silent, and watched as their leader smiled at Jae Ren.

*Alone is something you'll never be again, Jae Ren.* N thought.