The Step

The Shadows
The BLACK PHOENIX 1ST appeared during the treasure hunting race (in a discreet and subtle way). err, just so you know.. hehe..
 
*banner credits to charmiel
-------------------------------------------------------------
o=o=o
 
I don’t know how I was able to continue life after the incident. It’s been a week since I lost everything. Jae’s parents took the responsibility of ‘fixing’ some stuff about my parents’ deaths. I mean, there must be a HUMANLY reason behind their death. They also took care of the ‘cremation’ and stuff. Funny, there are even no bodies to cremate. The old castle caving in didn’t as much get to the news. Either the castle was long forgotten or nobody really cares about it.
 
I usually kept to myself, all locked up in my room, just staring at the ceiling. Bom and the others were my constant visitors, though I always ignore them everytime they visit me. I don’t really want to have anything to do with them. As for Jiyong, he never showed his face to me after what happened, which I was awfully grateful. His presence would just remind me of everything. There were times that I wanted him to get arrested but that would be a lot of work. How would I explain the absence of my parents body or Jae’s old. . . body? It was tempting but not attainable so I just dropped it off. Victoria and the girls also visited me. They once asked me what really happened to my parents but I kept my mouth shut. Like I said, the Kims fixed everything for me and I didn’t bother asking them what they came up with as the cause of my parents’ deaths.
 
One week eventually became two weeks. I stared at myself in the mirror. I can’t recognize the eyes and face staring back at me. My cheeks became hollow, my lips were pale and my hair was in disarray. I actually grew thinner, too. my eyes then caught the glimpse of the black angel pendant held by the chain around my neck. A decision suddenly formed in my mind.
 
o=o=o
 
My things were all packed up. I already put the house on sale. I’ll just leave everything to the agent. I’m just too eager to start a new life away from this place. I didn’t bring any of the appliances, either. I just packed my clothes, books and personal stuffs. After so much thinking and deliberation, I took my phone out and called Bom.
 
After the call ended, I took a deep breath and silently prayed for guidance. I slowly walked out of my room, of the house with my things on my arms. The moment I stepped out from the house, I didn’t dare look back. After putting all my things inside the car, I went in for the driver’s seat and started the car to life. As I drove down the Valley, flashes of memories came back to me that I almost choked on the tears threatening to fall down. But I held them in. I won’t shed a tear again. I’ve already shed too many tears.
 
I stopped the car upon reaching my destination. I don’t really know why I wanted to do this. Maybe I just wanted to see if he was suffering or that his conscience is bugging him. Maybe I just wanted to formally end everything. Maybe I just felt like doing this. And besides, I’ve got something to return to him. I could just throw it away, I know but I wanted to see what his reaction would be once I returned it to him.
 
As I stepped out of the car, I felt a bit lightheaded. I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. After that, I opened my eyes again and walked towards the shore. He wasn’t there yet but I didn’t mind. I kept on walking until I reached the shore. I hugged myself as the coldness of the air enveloped me.
 
“What do you want?” a voice came from my right.
 
Without glancing at him, I sighed. “Do you know how much I want to kill you right now?”
 
“Then why don’t you do it?” he asked.
 
“I don’t want to be a murderer like you” I said. “I’m not like that”
 
Silence then followed, except for the sound of the waves of the water.
 
“So, what do you want?” he asked again.
 
“Are you happy?” I asked him back. “Are you happy with what you’ve done?”
 
He was silent for a moment but then he snorted. “No” he said. “I didn’t get what I wanted, did I?”
 
“Too bad, huh?” I chuckled. I’m kind of surprised with how I was talking to him so calmly unlike the last time. “Well, I’m glad to hear that you’re not happy. People like you don’t deserve any happiness in this world. Karma sure has its own way to get back”
 
“Is that why you wanted to see me? You want to know if karma got back at me.”
 
“Yes!” I hissed menacingly, finally facing him. “You deserve to suffer! You should suffer!”
 
He smirked. “No wonder your Sulli’s bestfriend” he said. “Both of you take pleasure in seeing other people suffer”
 
“Look who’s talking!” I exclaimed. “Didn’t you take pleasure in watching me suffer?!”
 
He looked away. “Well, that makes the three of us then”
 
“I hope you rot in hell!”
 
“I’m already in hell” he chuckled.
 
“I hate you!”
 
“Why don’t you just punch me then? Why don’t you just hurt me? Why don’t you just stab me? Why don’t you just shout at me? Or better yet, kill me?”
 
“I don’t want to waste my energy on you. I don’t want my hands to get tainted by your dirty blood. And besides, what food will your death do? I don’t you dead yet. I want you alive until fate gets back at you from all the things you’ve done”
 
I waited for him to shout back at me but he just there, his hands on his pockets and his hood partially covering his face. He was staring up ahead the ocean, calmly breathing in and out. I fumed. I wanted him to get angry, I wanted him to shout at me, I wanted him to beg me, and I wanted to see him in pain. I don’t want this calm and collected Jiyong in front of me. His silence and calmness irked me because I can’t seem to pull the energy to continue shouting at him.
 
“You’re leaving” he then broke the silence.
 
“Yes” I stiffly answered, surprised at how he knew about it when I didn’t tell anyone. Oh well, I guess the SALE sign in front of the house was a give away. “Why, are you going to ask me to stay? Just forget it because even if you beg on your knees, I won’t stay”
 
“You’re really delusional, aren’t you?” he chuckled. “I’m not going to ask you to stay”
 
“Good” I returned. “And I’m not delusional”
 
“Is there a point in meeting you here?” he asked. “I really find this meeting a waste of time. I’m leaving”
 
“I wanted to return this” I stiffly said, handing him the necklace he made for me. “I don’t want to keep anything that’ll remind me of your existence, that I made a mistake in loving you”
 
“You should have just thrown this away” he said. “You don’t have to waste both our time just for this” he added and threw the necklace to the sea. I felt my feet moved forward but upon realizing what I was doing, I was able to stop myself in diving to the water.
 
“I just wanted to make it proper” I told him coldly.
 
“It’s done” he said. “Just leave”
 
 
~AUTHOR’S POV~
 
An hour had passed since Dara left but Jiyong remained standing there like a statue. Bom, who was silently watching the whole thing from afar, couldn’t contain the worry she was feeling for her friend. He’s been standing on his spot, all stiff for an hour already. She walked towards the shore, sighing every now and then.
 
“Jiyong” she softly called upon reaching him, her hand resting on his shoulder.
 
“She’s gone” he whispered in a broke voice. “She’s gone. . . .”
 
For the second time, Jiyong broke down in front of her. Her friend dropped to his knees as his body shook with tears. Bom swallowed the lump that rose to . It’s the second time she saw him cry but she still can’t believe that Kwon Jiyong’s capable of breaking down like this. His cry was too heavy and painfully thick that she started tearing up, too.
 
“Jiyong. . .” she mumbled, dropping to her knees beside him.
 
“AAAAAHHHHH!!!!” he screamed. “AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!”
 
Bom pulled Jiyong in her arms and let him cry on her shoulders. She closed her eyes as she silently cried with him.
 
o=o=o
 
“When do you think he’d stop all this stupidity?” Bom asked in frustration. “He’s been like this for three weeks already”
 
“I think he’ll only stop when he’s dead” CL answered matter-of-factly.
 
Bom sighed. After the confrontation at the beach with Dara, she expected Jiyong to be sulky, grumpy and indifferent. But he did the opposite. He went back to his old routine – all mysterious, silent and sarcastic, except that he dropped out of school. But aside from that, it’s as if nothing happened. He even went back to fight regularly in the arena. She thought he did move on already but she was wrong. Ever since he stepped back in the ring, she never saw him FIGHT. He would just let his opponent beat the crap out of him until he can’t stand up on his two feet. She thought Jiyong just needed some more time to get back to shape but it went like that every night. He would just stand there, get beaten without even fighting back. He won’t even move a finger to defend himself.
 
“We need to put an end to this”
 
“I don’t think he’ll be glad if we do” CL sighed. “He’s punishing himself. We both know that”
 
“But we can’t just let him do this on his own” Bom pointed out.
 
“Then what do you suggest we do?” CL scoffed. “We can’t go ask Dara’s help. You know how Jiyong strictly said that we should continue living our lives and let her continue her life on her own”
 
“If we explain to her what he really feels and-“
 
“Do you think she’ll listen?” CL cut off. “She saw her parents die in front of her. Jaejoong died because of her. Do you really think she already moved on? She needs time, Bom”
 
“But how about Jiyong?”
 
“Why don’t we just call his mother?”
 
o=o=o
 
8 MONTHS LATER
 
Dara entered the boutique and greeted her boss. She loves her job but she preferred it if she was able to at pursue her studies. But the lack of money pushed her to work and forget about studying for the meantime. She desperately needed money. She’s been saving some of her wage for her education. She was having progress but she still has a long way to go.
 
“Hey” her boss, Han Eul, a designer greeted back. “I’ll be out for the whole day. I’ve got an appointment with a VIP client. She’s been rushing me for her wedding dress because she doesn’t want her BUMP to be seen” she said, shaking her head. “Women these days”
 
Dara can’t help but give a laugh. “At least the groom’s man enough to take responsibility”
 
“I don’t want to be rushed, you know” she said. “But since she’s a big client, I can’t turn her down. Anyways, you’ll be okay alone?”
 
“Of course” she smiled confidently.
 
Han Eul sighed. “Are you really sure you don’t have plans to get married?”
 
Dara rolled her eyes. “Not again” she groaned.
 
“If you change your mind, tell me. I’ve been having this vision of you in a wedding dress designed by me. It’d be my greatest creation”
 
“I appreciate the thought but no thanks. And speak for yourself; you lecture me of not getting married while you’re not married yourself”
 
“You really are stubborn” she said. “Anyways, I’ll be going ahead. I don’t want to be late?”
 
“Take care”
 
“I will” she called back as she rushed out of the boutique.
 
Dara sighed and gathered her hair in a messy ponytail. She took the mop from the dirty back room and started mopping the floor when the tinkling sound grabbed her attention. She quickly rushed back to the back room and returned the mop.
 
“Hello?” a female voice called.
 
“Just a minute!” Dara called back. She quickly fixed her hair neatly. Han Eul strictly told her that in this business; ‘image’ is like a food. It’s not just required, it’s needed. As soon as she thinks she looks alright, she pulled up a big smile and went to face the customer. “Good morn-!”
 
“Dara!”
 
 
“B-bom!” Dara gasped, totally shocked. Without even knowing it, she found herself running towards her. She enveloped the girl in her arms tightly. And then, she pulled back. “How are you? What are you doing here? It’s been a while! Wow!”
 
“I can’t believe this, either” Bom said, shaking her head. “After all this time. . . .”
 
“I missed you” Dara butted, getting teary eyed.
 
“Well. . . .” the taller girl cleared . “This is awkward but I missed you, too”
 
Dara hugged her tightly again. She thought she already put the past behind her but seeing Bom right now, she just realized that she missed the latter so much.
 
“Okay, okay” Bom grunted. “You’re gonna break my bones if you won’t let go”
 
“Sorry” Dara mumbled sheepishly, pulling away from the hug. “How are you?”
 
“I should be the one asking you that” she meaningfully said.
 
“I’m doing good” Dara smiled brightly. “I’ve been perfectly fine for the past eight months”
 
Bom gave a tight smile. “I’m glad to hear that”
 
“So. . . . what are you doing ehre?”
 
“I’m looking for a wedding dress. . . . I’m getting married, you see”
 
Dara’s eyes went round. “Y-you’re getting married?! Really?! Wow! I didn’t. . . wow”
 
“Now that you know, you’re obliged to go”
 
“Oh, sure” I laughed. “So, who’s the unlucky guy?” I joked after.
 
“Well. . . he’s-“
 
“Bom, Mom called. She wanted to know of-“ a guy entered the shop then stopped when he saw HER.
 
Dara felt all the blood in her head dropped to her feet, making her a bit dizzy. For a second, her heart stopped beating and then in tripled up. She felt it once again. She felt all her nerve-endings come to life. Actually, she felt like she’s been dead all this time and now she’s resurrected. In other words, she felt ALIVE. Her whole being was telling her so. Everything inside her screamed in recognition the moment Jiyong stepped inside the boutique.
 
Jiyong, who at first went silent, frowned and tore his gaze from Dara. He turned to Bom without acknowledging Dara’s presence. “Bom, Mom called. She wanted to know if you already found a dress. She said that you should tell her at once at the amount. She’ll be paying for it”
 
“Aish” Bom muttered. “She’s been shouldering all the expenses for this wedding. It’s really embarrassing”
 
“Just bear with it” Jiyong said. “You know how she gets. And it’s her own little way to make up for her absence on the wedding”
 
“I guess I don’t really have a choice, do I?” Bom sighed. “Oh well, I guess I’ll have to get something for her as a thank you gift”
 
“That’d be nice” he agreed.
 
“So. . . .” Bom turned to Dara. “Ahm. . . .”
 
Awkward silence charged the air.
 
“C-congratulations!” Dara suddenly clapped. “We’ve got a variety of choices here from traditional to eccentric, name it. Wait, I’ll just go get the portfolio for you to choose from. For the meantime, feel free to look at our displays”
 
“Dara, you-“ Bom started.
 
“I’ll be quick” Dara cut off and quickly turned around before she tears up in front of them. She ran to Han Eul’s office to get the portfolio. As soon as she reached the office, she closed the door and locked it behind her. Why was she being like this? So what if Jiyong’s getting married to Bom? Does it really matter? Didn’t she HATE him? Why would she get affected then? With those thoughts in mind, she took a deep breath to compose herself.
 
“Here” she smiled as she went back to the two.
 
“Thanks” Bom mumbled and scanned through the pages. Dara just stood in her spot and silently watched HIM. Catching herself staring at him, she looked away.
 
“I’ll ask my boss to give you discount if ever you like any of the designs”
 
“I actually liked all the designs!” Bom exclaimed. “I can’t choose one”
 
“I’d be glad to give you some pointers, if you want” she smiled.
 
 
 
Bom finally chose the swan-inspired design after a lot of evaluations and comparisons.
 
“Thanks for your help” Bom smiled.
 
“Don’t mind it” she chuckled.
 
“You’re going to the wedding, right? You already said yes”
 
“Oh, of course I’ll go”
 
“I’ll send you an invitation” she said and waved her goodbye.
 
 
---------------------------------------------------------
new banner from its_Nat_me (twitter)
(7-26) The Shadows by its_Nat_me