The Rumors

The Shadows

“What?” he disbelievingly asked again.

“There are a lot of rumors about-,” Krystal started.

“Rumors, you say?” Luna scoffed. “Calling them facts would be more appropriate if you ask me”

“Anyways, his father was a rumored drug user and drug dealer” Victoria started. “They say, he’s been forcing Jiyong and his wife to take the drugs, too”

“So, Kwon Jiyong’s pretty much of a drug user and dealer himself. It’s his way of living” Luna nodded.

“Others even say he’s been stealing in some convenient stores around here” Sulli joined in.

“And he’s always in the top students in school. Some believed his been terrorizing the teachers to give him high grades” Krystal said.

“But why hasn’t he been arrested?” Jae asked.

“That’s the problem” Luna answered. “No one dares to sell him off to the authorities because they’re too afraid of him. They said he’s been threatening the family of those who go against him”

“Also, the latest rumor about him is that he’s now a member of underground wrestling match or something like that” Victoria waved off. “He’s involve in every illegal stuff and every crime”

“They said he’s been sleeping with desperate widowed women for money, too”

“But all of those are nothing compared to what he did three years ago” Krystal knowingly said. “He murdered his father, stabbed him several times and let him bleed to death. Ask Dara, here. She was his neighbor”

All eyes were on me now. I sighed.

“You were there?”

“I’m not saying I witnessed the actual crime. I was there when the cops arrived” I informed him and started recounting the event. “I woke up with Mr. and Mrs. Kwon’s usual shouting. They always fight and shout at each other. There was a loud commotion inside and Mrs. Kwon was crying loudly. The other neighbors got worried so they call for the authorities. When the cops arrived, Jiyong stepped out of their house and told the police he killed his father”

“His mother was scared of him, too. Two months after her husband died, she remarried and moved in to the city with her new husband, leaving her teenage son behind” Sulli quietly said.

“He didn’t spend that much in jail since he was too young before” Victoria added. “But the good thing about him is that, he won’t harm you as long as you stay away from his path”

Silence followed Vicoria’s words.

The school bell rang.

“Oh, Jae, your next class is History, right?” Krystal asked.

“Yes”

“That’s Dara’s next class, too”

“Really?” Jae turned to me. I nodded, unable to speak. “That’s good to hear” he smiled. “It’s nice to have a friend in a class”

“Lucky you” Victoria whispered as she past by me. Luna and Krystal just laughed while Sulli winked at me.

“Shall we?” he asked. That’s when I noticed that we’re the only ones left behind. Oh dear.

“Yeah. It’s not really good to be late” I nodded and started heading to History class.

“So, do you have a boyfriend?” he asked out of nowhere.

“Well, no” I mumbled. “Why’d you ask?”

He shrugged. “Just curious”

My heart soared up. I cleared my throat first before speaking. “Oh, really?”

But he just smiled at me. he smiled the kind of smile that make my knees go all wobbly; make the girls scream; make my heart melt. Oh dear. I think I’m already into deep, considering that I just met him. But who wouldn’t fall for him? I think it’s safe to say that this is love at first sight. At least, on my side.

As we entered class, there was a sudden sweep of silence and then, the roof went on fire as the girls screamed and crowded themselves around him, introducing themselves. Little me was shoved aside so I just went to my chair.

History class is being handled by Mr. Su, so all the spazzing didn’t last. I can clearly see Mr. Su is also suffering from the sour grape syndrome all the boys are experiencing. He sent Jae sitting at the very back of the room, which totally shows how he feels towards innocent Jae.

I looked behind me testily. He was wearing an amused expression as Mr. Su REMINDED us that being good looking won’t bring us high grades. Jae glanced at me. I mouthed ‘sorry’ and pointed at Mr. Su secretly. He gave me thumbs up and smiled. I turned back to the front and opened my book to the page written on the board. I felt a tap on my shoulder and a note was passed to me. I unfolded it. It says: ‘is he really that blunt?’

I hid my giggle as I slid my pen along the paper for a response. I wrote: ‘no, only to you. Blame your pretty face’

I passed it back. Not long after that, the note was passed back to me.

‘Oh, you find me pretty?’

‘I do’ I replied.

‘I’m not gay, though’

Silent laughter shook my shoulders. I scribbled a reply: ‘really? you’re biual then?’

‘Straight’

I smiled and folded the note. I put it in my pocket. I’ll keep him hanging first. It would be better if we’re talking face to face. I’d love that.

I looked up ahead again, a smile on my face. But it faltered after a while as at the corner of my eye, I glimpsed someone in al black walked past by the door. I remembered the talk in the cafeteria. And mind wandered back six years ago, when I first moved in here.

I was eager to have friends. So, when I saw a boy that I presumed was on my age, I happily bounced to him. He was sitting on the pavement in front of their house. I cam clearly remember, he was wearing a black shirt and a navy blue walking shorts. He had headsets on. I stopped a few inches away from him. From my position, I can still hear the loud music coming from his headset: rock music. I looked up at their house and heard the loud shouting, swearing and fighting of his parents. I glanced back at the boy. He was looking down, his head nodding to the music.

“Hi!” I greeted cheerfully. I guessed he didn’t hear me because he didn’t look up, so, I tapped his right shoulder. That’s when he looked up. I smiled and waved at him. he pulled his headsets down, making the rock music even more audible.

“Hi” I greeted again, holding my hand out. “I just moved in here. I-,”

“I know”

I chucked lightly. “I’m Sandara Park, by the way but call me Dara. What’s your name?”

He looked over his shoulder. I followed the direction of his head and saw that he was looking at their house. I noticed that his parents weren’t fighting anymore. He stood up and patted his bottom. My hand fell to my side; my face fell slightly as he turned around.

“I’m Kwon Jiyong” he said before going on to the pathwalk to their house. I smiled again.

“Nice to meet you!” I called.

We never talked again after that. The moment I went to school, I got engrossed with having friends and the new environment. And then, the talks about the Kwons started to reach us. Mom then forbade me to talk to any of them.

Three years later, I was thirteen, when it happened. I saw and heard him announced that he killed his father. His mother was crying so hard by the time the ambulance arrived. But it was too late. I also watched as Kwon Jiyong was pushed inside the police car. He looked up at me before going inside. What I saw in his eyes made me uncomfortable. There was no fear, no remorse, no guilt in them – only fierce determination.

 

--------

banner by daisuke