The Challenge

The Shadows

~AUTHOR’S POV~

Kwon Jiyong stepped into the bathroom while a loud music was playing in his room. He smiled a little as the cold water ran down his body. He leaned his hands against the wall in front of him and bowed his head down. His shoulder-length hair hung loosely at the side of his face. As the third song started to play, he started humming along.

 

~~Sip my blood till there's no blood left to spill
From my neck embraced by a concealed grip I welcomed in my arms
Bruised by your love
Burned by your kiss
Is this true love?
Bruised by your love
Burned by your kiss

 

Young blood spills tonight
This time the victim is you
Poison lips, the ones you kiss
I swear my love for you is true
Young blood spills

 

Now there I sing my deadly lullaby
Bruised by your love
Burned by your kiss
Is this true love?
Bruised by your love
Burned by your kiss
Is this true love?

Now there I sing my deadly lullaby
Now here I sing to hypnotize your body
Now there I sing my deadly lullaby
Now here I sing to hypnotize your body
We bled that night till drained
You drank me dry i did the same
We bleed this night till drained
This cold
We bled that night till drained
You drank me dry i did the same
We bleed this night till drained
This cold night~~

When he was finished, he dried himself with a towel and wrapped another around his waist. As he stepped out of the bathroom, he immediately noticed a head and a set of arms stuck in his window. He watched as SHE tried to pull herself out of the window with amusement and disgust. With a shake of the head, he lowered the volume down.

“What the ing hell are you doing?”

“Could you. . . help me get out of here?” she gritted. “I rang the doorbell a lot of times but I guess you didn’t know it. Some help?”

He didn’t move. He just stood in his spot and crossed his arms across his chest. The girl growled in frustration as the guy didn’t help her at all. She took a rest for a while before mustering all of her strength to pull herself out of the window. She hurt her hips in the process but she didn’t mind. When she was out of it, she crawled and pushed herself up.

“Whew” she exhaled. “I used the step ladder to. . . .”

He was quiet.

“Can we talk?”

“There’s nothing to talk about” he dismissively said.

“At least hear me out.

“Listen to what? To your apologies? To your futile attempts of befriend me?”

“I admit I doubted you and as a friend, that’s the-“

“Friend?” he scoffed. “Do you even know what friendship means?”

“Friendship is. . . .” she quickly answered but faltered. What is friendship?

“In case you don’t know, friendship is basically founded by TRUST” he quietly said. “Now tell me, can you really call yourself a friend?”

“If. . .” she paused and cleared . She was on the verge of crying again. “Please hear me out”

When he didn’t say anything, she quickly took advantage of it.

“I’m sorry for doubting you. Anyone would have jumped off to the same conclusion I had when I saw you in the kitchen. I just got scared for Dad’s life and I felt helpless. I also want to apologize for scratching you and spitting at you. People make mistakes, Jiyong. Nobody’s perfect and I believe that everyone deserve a second chance”

Still, he didn’t say anything.

“I . . . I also want to thank you for helping out Dad” she croaked. “If. . . if it weren’t for you, he’s be. . . dead by now”

Five seconds of silence past between them.

“Say something” she begged.

“Okay” he said. “You can go now”

“What’s wrong with you?!” she burst out. “Why are you acting like that? I know you’re angry or maybe even hurt but why are you being cold?!”

“What do you want me to say then?” he asked.

“Shout at me! Or say bad things to me. I don’t care”

“Well you, you !” he said. She flinched at the coldness of his voice. “Happy?” he asked. Before she could stop it, tears escaped her eyes.

“Jiyong. . .”

“Just leave” he wearily sighed. There was something in his voice that squeezed her heart. She preferred it if he was rude but he wasn’t. With head bent down, she made her way to the door.

She felt his hand circled her wrist when she walked past by him. Hope suddenly sprung in her heart. She glanced at him hopefully. He looked at her for a moment. With another sigh, he said, “don’t forget to close the front door”

For some unexplainable reason, that sentence only made Dara cry harder than before. She pulled her wrist from his grasp and ran away. Her little body was trembling from the intensity of her cry that she almost stumbled down the stairs.

As soon as she reached their house, she quickly went to her room and locked the door. She dropped herself in the bed, burying her face in the pillows and didn’t hold back her tears anymore.

His last words weren’t even rude or mean. But it hurt her the most.

o=o=o

“What’s with the dark sunglasses?” Sulli asked.

“I feel like wearing them” she smoothly lied.

“Dara, you don’t have to lie” she said. Dara quickly tensed. “I know you and your Mom are going through tough times right now. You don’t have to lie about crying, you know”

She exhaled. “I just don’t want others to see my puffy eyes, especially Jae. I don’t want him to worry”

She chuckled. “Jaejjong knows you. It’s no use hiding anything from him. And besides, he’s your boyfriend. He’s entitled to worry about you”

“This’ll pass” she mumbled. “And I’d rather see Jae smile than worry about me.

“Oh, you mean his angel smile?”

“Yes” she laughed.

If she thought she could it hide it from Jaejoong, she was wrong. Sulli was right. He knows her and he won’t let it pass by just like that.

“It’s nothing” she answered, bowing her head. “I just had a tough night with Mom last night”

He sighed. Her fists instantly curled into tight balls. She doesn’t like hearing him sigh, it just don’t feel right somehow.

“What are you thinking?” he asked.

“I’m trying to decided whether to believe you or not” he answered.

“What have you decided, then?”

“I’ll believe everything you say to me” he smiled. “A relationship won’t work without trust”

Before she could even stop herself, she burst out crying again. In between snobs and sniffs, she told him what happened.

“I feel so awful” she sniffed. “My family’s in debt with him and he’s angry. I don’t want that. I just want him to forgive us, to forgive me. I feel so guilty”

“Then don’t stop asking for forgiveness” he said.

“You’re right!” she brightened up then her face fell. “But he’s not staying that much in his house lately”

“Maybe he’ll show up in-“

“The cemetery!” she exclaimed. “Will you go with me?” she turned to him with puppy eyes. He groaned for he doesn’t have the strength to deny her.

“Of course I will”

“We’ll go later this evening”

o=o=o

~JAEJOONG’S POV~

Dara agreed that it’s better to use my car since her car’s been on and off these days. She was drumming her fingers on her lap. I smiled and started whistling. She sharply glanced at me, looking amused.

“You’re in a good mood” she said.

“I am” I agreed. “It’s because you look funny”

“Oh. So you’re making fun of me?”

“We’re here” I announced. She jumped in her seat and looked around.

“Wait for me here” she said.

“No, I’d rather go with you” I stubbornly said.

“But-“

“I can help you” I said, making her frown.

“How?”

“You’ll see” I simply answered.

She led me to the stairs, though I already knew about it, I pretended I didn’t. I sighed, hating myself for what I’m about to do. I feel like I’m violating Dara. Eventhough a part of my blood contains darkness, I’m not purely evil. I closed my eyes for a moment, feeling the power envelope me. I opened my eyes and watched as Dara’s body sway. I caught her right on time before she even reached the ground.

“I’m sorry” I mumbled as I stepped off the stairs and dropped down. I hugged her body close to me as the wind rushed against me. Not soon after that, my feet hit the firm ground. I settled Dara on her feet and kissed her forehead. She blinked. There was a blank look in her eyes at first, but then, it disappeared after a few seconds.

She smiled. “This way”

I smiled back then nodded, intertwining her hands together. We reached a metal door. She pushed it open and we were greeted by bright lights and a hundred of cheering people.

“He should be around here” I heard her mumble. I stayed silent as we made our way through the crowd. I looked around and lucky for me, I was able to see Kwon Jiyong’s friends”

“His friends are here” I leaned down on her ear.

“Where?” she quickly asked.

“Over there” I pointed to the right.

“Let’s go” she said as she pulled me with her towards Jiyong’s friends.

“What a pleasant surprise” the tall girl said, eyeing me. Dara quickly introduced me to the four. We exchanged casual nods.

“Is Jiyong here?”

“Of course” Bom snorted. “Where else would he go?”

“Can I talk to him?”

“What do you want?” a voice from behind asked. We both turned around and saw Jiyong.

“Can I talk to you?” Dara said. “In private?”

“We already talked” the guy dismissively said.

“But-“ Dara protested but I cut her off.

“I’ll make a deal with you” I said. His attention then went to me, brows raised questioningly. “A match. If I win, you’ll hear Dara out. If I lose, your call” I said.

“Jae! Dara breathed in surprise. I looked down at her then smiled.

“Trust me” I said.

“But-“

“It’s okay” I assured her then turned back to Kwon Jiyong. “So, do we have a deal?”

“You want to risk your pretty face for this girl?” he snorted.

“Do we have a deal?” I repeated.

“ing hell we do!” he smirked.

--------------------------------------------------------

*a/n: credits to Eyes Set To Kill's Young Blood Spills Tonight for the lyrics.....banner by nabi_chi