The Maze

The Shadows
“Cat fight coming my way” I mumbled under my breath. “You go find the box. I’ll handle this myself” I turned to Jiyong.
 
“I’ll be quick” he said and let go of my hand.
 
I crossed my arms across my chest as I waited for her to reach me. Youngbae was right behind her while Seungri and CL were still arguing and they were getting physical already.
 
“You really are a , aren’t you?”
 
“Bom, let’s-” Youngbae started but Bom held a hand to shut him up.
 
“And you’re being a B too, actually” I said.
 
“Is this what you usually do everytime your boyfriend’s away? Is this what you do behind his back? Flirt with other guys?”
 
“I’m not flirting!” I defended myself, turning red as guilt came over me.
 
“What do you think your boyfriend would feel, huh?”
 
“Bom, that’s enough” Youngbae warned.
 
“No” Bom stubbornly refused.. “This has gone for too long already”
 
“Then maybe we should put an end to this” I dared her.
 
“Yes, you should” she agreed. “You should stay away from Jiyong, you flirty little !”
 
“Maybe you should stop going after him, too. Don’t you think you’re being too clingy and pathetic for still hoping that he’ll get back with you?”
 
“Dara, you don’t really have to say that” Youngbae quickly said as Bom’s nose flared dangerously.
 
“No” I said. “I had enough of her taunts and sarcasm. It’s about time for her to realize that Kwon Jiyong will never look at her the same way he used to-“
 
“Why you little !” she burst out, raising her arm. Okay, she was going to slap me, I know that but I remained motionless as I watched her hand slowly descending. I was expecting it to come already but a hand stopped her hand from making contact to my face.
 
“That’s enough” Jiyong’s familiar voice entered my ears.
 
“Jiyong. . .! How could you side with her?” Bom wildly asked.
 
 
“I’m not siding with anyone, Bom but you don’t have to hurt her”
 
Bom pulled her hand back and turned to me, glaring. I quickly hid myself behind Jiyong, sticking my tongue out at her.
 
“Did you see that?!?” Bom exclaimed. “She stuck her tongue out at me!”
 
“Dara” Jiyong warned.
 
“That’s it? You’re just going to let her disrespect me?!”
 
“Bom, you’re overreacting” Jiyong impatiently said.
 
“It’s happening, isn’t it?” Bom then whispered quietly. `“You said it won’t happen. You said you’ll never let it happen. I should have known better!”
 
There was silence as Bom and Jiyong eyed each other carefully. Then, Jiyong let out a defeated sigh. “I’m sorry” he said quietly that at first, I thought I was just imagining it. But seeing the look on Bom’s face told me that what I heard was real. What’s happening here, anyways? Why is Jiyong acting so serious and sounding so desperately defeated? Why is Bom looking like she’s about to cry? And why is Youngbae giving Jiyong a pleading and warning kind of look?
 
“I found it!” Seungri suddenly rejoiced. “See? SEE? I’m not that dumb and useless as you think I am,  you grumpy old maid!”
 
“Dara, let’s go” Jiyong turned to me. “I already got the clue”
 
“The key didn’t match with the lock, you jerk!” CL suddenly shouted.
 
“Oh” Seungri mumbled. “I thought. . .”
 
“Aish!”
 
o=o=o
 
“What was that all about?” I asked as we started heading to our next destination. “What did Bom mean about what she-?”
 
“It’s not important” he said as he read the clue, a frown marring his forehead. “And I think you should read this”
 
“You know I’m not going to understand that”
 
“I know that but you have to read the last line” he said and handed me the clue.
 
My eyes passed the first few lines without reading them. “I immediately jumped to the last line. “ ‘After which, a kiss shall set you free’ “. I read out carelessly, sounding bored. When the words finally etched into my mind, my eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I looked at the paper again and read from the top.
 
‘Enter a tunnel and you shall see
A door that shall respond to your key
Upon beyond lies the maze city
Which shall lead you close to victory
Seek what you need to claim Iadeeh
After which, a kiss shall set you free’
 
“W-what’s an Iadeeh?” I asked, trying to hide the heat that crawled to my cheeks.
 
“It’s the name of the necklace we’re looking for” he said.
 
“Oh” I mumbled then chuckled awkwardly. I admit I didn’t understand anything from the clue, well except the last line.
 
“You look nervous” he noticed.
 
“Me?” I looked up, laughing hysterically. “Why would I be nervous?”
 
“Dara, we don’t have to continue. And besides, we-”
 
“No” I quickly said. “W-we. . . we got this far already. It’ll be a waste if. . . if w-we just quit in the middle of the game” I said, feeling my cheeks burned even more. Aigoo! Why am I being like this? And why is he being like this? Why is he suddenly giving me choices?
 
“Okay” he said nonchalantly. “Let’s go then, before the others would catch up to us”
 
A kiss shall set you free
A kiss shall set you free
A kiss shall set you free
 
Wah! It’s like a manta in my mind! God! Why am I anticipating for it? No! I shouldn’t think of it. I should not put any meaning to it. He kissed too many girls already, I think so for sure, the kiss would not mean a thing to him. I shouldn’t fuss over it, right?
 
This is just a game. The kiss is just part of the game so it’s not really a big deal.
 
“So, where do you think the tunnel is?” I asked, trying to break the awkward silence. Jiyong paused for a while. He looked around then decided it’s to the left. “How did you know?”
 
“Instincts” he shrugged.
 
“It must be really cool to be a shadow, eh?” I said. “ I wonder how it feels to be in the air, flying around as a crow”
 
“It feels free” he said. “We’ll try that after this game is over”
 
I paused. “Really?”
 
“Yeah” he absentmindedly said.
 
“Ooh, that’d be really cool!”
 
“It is” he said. “If you don’t get shot by bird hunters”
 
I grimaced at him. “You really love ruining my fun, don’t you?”
 
“Just being realistic” he shrugged. “Come” he said, reaching out a hand to me.
 
“No” I refused. “I’m not talking to you”
 
“Suit yourself” he shrugged and went on his way.
 
He led the way to the tunnel while I was a silent, rumbling follower. Eventhough I was rumbling, deep inside, I was happy. I was happy to see the changes in him. And it only made him more adorable in my eyes
 
“Keep your eyes on where you’re walking, not on my back”
 
“You notice everything, don’t you? Well, I might get lost if I keep my eyes off you” I reasoned out.
 
He laughed. “You’re improving”
 
“Thank you” I smugly said.
 
He looked back, reaching out a hand to me again. “It’s dark” he said as I stubbornly ignored his hand.
 
“I can handle myself” I arrogantly informed him.
 
“Suit yourself” he shrugged as he started entering the tunnel. I didn’t notice we already reached it. As I descended down the stairs behind him, I found out I was right. It was indeed dark but at least there some lit torches on the wall. A rat suddenly ran in front of me, making me jump and squeak. Aigoo, I’m really scared of rats! I quickly kept up to Jiyong and held onto his sleeve. I grimaced as I heard him snort.
 
“Conceited” I mumbled.
 
A few minutes of walking past before we reached a lagoon. There was a wood that connects this side to the other side. I swallowed hard as I saw how narrow and old the wood was. I voiced out my concern to Jiyong but since he was in his arrogant self, he just waved it off. Instead, he took all of my things in his arms and knelt down, ORDERING me to hop on his back. I complied, of course.
 
I held on tight to his as he started crossing us to the other side. He would stop everytime the wood creaks.
 
“We’re not going to fall, are we?” I whispered.
 
“No” he said. “We’re almost there”
 
“Oh-kay” I nodded.
 
After crossing the wood, he settled me down and handed my things back to me. When I straightened up, I saw three doors up ahead. He went to try the key on each of the doors. The third door opened and right behind it was a labyrinth.
 
“OH.MYGOD!” I exclaimed. “I hate this kind of stuff”
 
“Me, too” he sighed,” I don’t have the patience for this”
 
“Well, we better get this over with”
 
o=o=o
 
~AUTHOR’S POV~
 
They’ve been walking in circles for what seemed like hours. Jiyong was smirking to himself as he kept in misleading the girl to the wrong direction. By instincts, he knew which way to go but he had a different idea in mind. He knew the girl wanted to win but he on the other hand, doesn’t want to. And it’s the least he could do for Bom. But above it all, he was enjoying seeing Dara’s reaction everytime they hit the dead end.
 
“Can we take a rest first?” she tiredly asked. She leaned against the wall and slid down to the ground. Not long after that, she fell asleep. Jiyong went to sit beside her and pulled her head to his shoulder. With a sigh, he closed his eyes and relaxed his body. And just like her, he eventually fell asleep.
 
o=o=o
 
“Let’s do this” Bom said.
 
“Are you sure?” Youngbae asked as they finally reached the center and got hold of their next clue.
 
“Of course” she said. “How are we going to get out if we’re not going to do it? And besides, this is just a game”
 
Youngbae sighed. With reluctance, he angled his head to the side. He gave her a light kiss but when he looked around, nothing changed.
 
“I think the kiss should be longer” Bom said.