The Favor

The Shadows

As soon as I got all the things I needed, I ran back to Kwon Jiyong’s house. He was done eating his pancakes. I went to finish mine first before proceeding to what I had in mind.

 

“If you’re planning something inappropriate, I suggest you drop it off”

 

I looked up at him “Eh?” I innocently asked. “What are you talking about?”

 

“You’re grinning like a dog. I know what that means”

 

“Is there a law that forbids a person to grin like a dog?” I imitated him. Amusement lit his face then, he laughed out loud.

 

“Jesus!” he breathed. “You really are a spoof!”

 

“Stop calling me that!” I protested.

 

“Why, is there a law that forbids a person to call someone spoof?”

 

“I’ll make a law about it”

 

“Dream on, spoofy” he chuckled, making me grimace.

 

“Laugh all you want, Kwon Jiyong” I said as I stood up and went to place our plates on the sink. I took all my stuff and grabbed his hand, pulling him with me towards his room. Of course, he pulled his hand back a lot of times but since I’m persistently stubborn and stubbornly persistent, I kept on grabbing his hand back.

 

“What the fu-?!”

 

“Sit!” I ordered the moment we reached his room. But of course, he didn’t follow. He just stood there, arms across his chest. I sighed impatiently and pulled him towards the bed and pushed him down to sit. Oh, let me add, he DID NOT protest at all. I sat in front of him and took his left hand first, resting it on my lap.

 

“No ing way!” he exclaimed and pulled his hand away from my reach.

 

“Yes way!” I gritted and pulled his hand back.

 

“You owe me this for not letting ME cut your hair and of course, you lied! You’re not supposed to lie to your friend”

 

“You’re nauseating”

 

“That’s really mean”

 

“It’s the truth” he shrugged. “I can always ask Bom to paint them again, you know”

 

“And I can always take them off, you know” I returned as I started removing his black polish. I somehow found some sense of satisfaction as he’s letting me remove this black thing off his nails. I heard him sigh a lot of times. I started blushing as I felt his eyes on me for quite some time now.

 

I cleared my throat. “Staring is rude”

 

“Not staring, just looking” he said.

 

“That’s my line”

 

“You stole my line, too” he returned.

 

“It’s really NICE talking to you” I sarcastically snapped.

 

“I know” he snorted. “You wouldn’t be here if you don’t enjoy my company”

 

My head snapped up, my eyes glaring. He was wearing a stupid grin on his face. “Your self confidence is unbelievable”

 

“Yeah, I’ve been told” he chuckled.

 

“I thought you said MY purpose in life is to annoy you. But it seems like the other way around”

 

“Oh. I’m annoying you? Really?” he brightly asked with hidden sarcasm. “That’s new!”

 

“Oh no” I returned, smiling brightly. “You’re definitely NOT annoying me. I’m so having a GREAT TIME talking to you”

 

He suddenly burst out laughing. I pouted, choosing to ignore him as I paid attention on what I’m doing. But I suddenly straightened up as he patted my head like I’m some sort of a pet. I looked at him but he wasn’t looking at me. His eyes were cast down on his nails but he was wearing that amused smile on his face. I can’t help but smile, too.

 

“What a spoof” he murmured. I looked at him again, this time, glaring. He looked up, wearing a humor-filled face. I cleared my throat uncertainly and bowed my head again, looking intently at his nails.

 

“So, what really happened in the foundation dance?” I asked, trying to divert the train of my thoughts.

 

“I don’t know” he answered blankly. I looked up again. He was wearing a serious look now – far from a while ago. “You should ask your boyfriend. He was the one protecting you”

 

“Where were you when it happened?” I asked,

 

“I ran away” I shrugged.

 

“Then how did you know that Jaejoong was the on-“

 

“It’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? He’s your boyfriend, so it’s quite expected that he’s going to protect you”

 

“You’re lying again, aren’t you?”

 

“Believe what you want to believe. I already said my case” he scoffed.

 

I was about to fight my case but decided to drop it off with a sigh. Instead, I went to a different topic. “I asked Jaejoong to take a rest after we arrived home from Bom’s place. I think he was too worried because he asked Seungri to take over for him”

 

“Seungri’s in your room last-?”

 

“Yes” I nodded absentmindedly. “And he told me a story”

 

His face went blank again. “A story, huh?”

 

“The shadows’ history, to be exact. The story’s quite familiar, don’t you think?”

 

He didn’t say anything, making me pout again. Why did I ask it in the first place? Aish! Maybe he was about my IQ being below sea level.

 

“Seungri talks too much” he finally said.

 

“But don’t you agree with what I said?” I insisted.

 

“Chang Hee’s story was repeated a million times – to his descendants, though not all. His descendants seemed to experience that kind of life. That’s why we usually keep to ourselves. It’s foolish for us to trust human girls”

 

“Bom and CL are humans but you obviously trust them”

 

“True” he said. “But their family knew the existence of the shadows for a few generations now. They hold most of our kind’s secrets and history”

 

I nodded in response, feeling a little. . . . jealous towards Bom and CL at how they seemed so well informed about the shadows. “Seungri also told me about err. . . the dark attacks. Is that. . . is that how your father died?”

 

“My father’sdead. It’s unhealthy to talk about someone who passed away already”

 

“I was just curious” I mumbled.

 

“You’re always curious about me” he mumbled darkly.

 

“I’ve been wondering about that myself” I said, frowning. “I feel like I NEED to know everything about you. Weird, right?”

 

“If I tell you what you want to know, will you stay away from me?”

 

I suddenly went still. The question took me by surprise. But what made me still was the desperation I heard in his voice. Slowly, the anger started boiling in my veins. “Why are you so desperate to get rid of me?!”

 

“Can’t it be simply because I want to get rid of you?” he said. “Seungri already told you about us having the thirst to kill someone. It would be . . . inconvenient if I have one my attacks and kill you in the process because you’re always around me. Jaejoong would surely hunt me down and it’s pretty obvious that he’s stronger than me. If he’ll fight me, I’ll be defeated. So I guess it’s better if you’ll just stay away from me”

 

I stared at him, my thoughts in a riot. I guess he’s really that desperate to get rid of me, huh? My heart gave a painful squeee that it almost choked the life out of me. “If that’s what you really want” I slowly nodded. “T-that’s f-fine with me” I added qand quickly stood up, gathered my things and started heading towards the door.

 

“Dara” he impatiently called. A sob suddenly escaped from my throat. Embarrassed, I quickly ran away. “!” I heard him shouted.

 

 

~JIYONG’S POV~

 

“I told you, I’m not going to do you any favors anymore. Why don’t you ask Seungri instead? He’ll be more than willing”

 

“I already did” he said. “But I just want to ensure Dara’s safety so I’m here right now because I know you’re stronger than your friends”

 

“If you really want to ensure her safety, you shouldn’t leave then”

 

“I already told you why I have to leave. It’s a family thing”

 

“Have you talked to Dara about this?”

 

“Not yet”

 

I snorted. “She’s not going to agree. And might I remind you again, we don’t really get along well”

 

“I think I can convince her” he said.

 

“Well, good luck with that”

 

“Here, take this” he said, handing me a mobile phone. “In case Dara need your help”

 

“You’re joking, right?”

 

“Jiyong, this isn’t the right time to let your pride rule”

 

“My pride?” I scoffed. “If I’ll let my pride rule in, there’s no ing way I’m going to agree with this”

 

“You won’t be left unpaid, Jiyong. Just name what you want”

 

I paused for a moment. “You already owe me two favors, Jaejoong. This will cost you a LOT”

 

o=o=o

 

I can’t stop the smile forming my lips as the girl had her chin held up in the air, avoiding looki8ng at me. She was wearing a deep frown and a stubborn pout in her face as Jaejoong was “turning her over” to me.

 

“I prefer Seungri than him”

 

“We already talked about this, Dara” Jaejoong explained.

 

“Why don’t you just tell them you can’t come?” she stubbornly asked. “So you don’t have to leave with that rude person?”

 

I suddenly straightened up. “What made you think I like your boyfriend’s idea, too?”

 

The girl’s eyes turned to me sharply. “Well, seeing that you don’t have any protest with this, I-“

 

“Oh, so you really think I like this, huh?”

 

“Jiyong” Jaejoong warned.

 

“Why?” I snapped at him. “Why didn’t you tell her what’s in it for me?”

 

“I didn’t think it’s appropriate” he quietly said.

 

“It’s inappropriate to tell her that you have to bribe me to agree with this?”

 

“Bribe is a strong word” Jaejoong calmly said.

 

“You did?” the girl asked.

 

“I wouldn’t agree if I know I’m not going to gain anything from it” I answered. “There’s no way I’d associate myself with you”

 

Am I going too far? Maybe yes, maybe no. I don’t know. I’m not sure of things lately. But one thing’s for sure, this will only complicate things more.

 

Dara froze, jaws clenching. That’s right. I can tolerate an angry Dara but not a friendly side of her. If she’ll remain that way, everything would be fine. But maybe she’s not really the type of person who acts to what I want because just when I thought she’s angry, her expression suddenly changed. Instead of glaring, she gave me a “hurt” look.

 

I suddenly looked away, my jaws clenching. I hate her eyes! I don’t know why but I don’t like them at all!

 

Jaejoong then started talking to her in a hushed voice. I looked back at them and called for his attention.

 

“Yes?” he asked.

 

“Let’s forget the deal” I said and fixed my hood up. “I’m backing out. We’re all wasting our time here”

 

“But-“

 

“Go ask Youngbae to help Seungri” I cut off. “I’m out” I told him again and put my hands inside my pockets and started walking away.

 

“Kwon Jiyong!” the girl called but I didn’t stop. Instead, I turned into a crow and flew away from the place as fast as I can.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: O-MAH-GHAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a fanart/banner from iichiren! THANKS so much!!! me loves it badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! luv ya!