The Watcher

The Shadows
~AUTHOR’S POV~
 
“What’s this?” Dara asked as soon as she arrived and saw piles of boxes in the living room.
 
“We’re packing all of our stuffs”
 
“Why?” she asked.
 
“We’re going to move out, dear” her father said.
 
“But why?” she asked again.
 
“The company your father’s working for moved him to a different branch, a last-minute notice so-“
 
“I’m not moving out” she announced.
 
“Dara, you-“
 
“I’m sorry Dad, but I’m not going with you”
 
“Don’t be stubborn, Dara. It’s-“
 
“Think about it, Mom. It’s in the middle of the school year and I don’t really want to-“
 
“I’m not going to leave you alone here!” her mothers said. “It’s not safe for a young girl to live alone-“
 
“Mom, I’m old already. I can take care of myself”
 
“Don’t take me as a fool, young woman. If you think you and Jae could do ANYTHING you want-“
 
“Dad!” she burst out. “If you don’t want me to live alone in this house, that’s fine. I’ll move in with Victoria or Luna or Krystal or anywhere else but I’m NOT leaving this place”
 
A seemingly endless argument followed. Nobody wants to step down. But still in the end, Dara won.
 
“So, when are you guys leaving?” she asked.
 
“Two days from now”
 
o=o=o
 
“Kwon Jiyong! Kwon Jiyong! Kwon Jiyong!”
 
Jiyong automatically jumped to his feet. He looked around, alert. Then, he frowned as he saw no sign of the girl anywhere. He silently scolded himself for thinking that she’s here in the arena. His friends, who looked surprise, were looking at him.
 
“Err, I think it’s your phone” Seungri said.
 
“A phone?” CL repeated.
 
“Didn’t I just say phone?” Seungri retorted, earning him a glare from CL.
 
Jiyong took the phone out from his pocket and saw the screen blinking with the girl’s voice saying Kwon Jiyong! Kwon Jiyong! over and over again.
 
“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Bom exclaimed.
 
“Is that supposed to be a ringtone?” CL asked blankly.
 
“Obviously, stupid” Seungri chuckled.
 
“Knock it off, Seungri” Youngbae warned.
 
“Since when did you have a phone?” CL asked Jiyong again.
 
“Why are you being nosy? So what if he-“
 
“Shut up, Seungri” Bom cut off and looked at Jiyong with an unreadable expression. “Aren’t you going to answer that?”
 
Jiyong shrugged and took the call. “What do you want?” he greeted.
 
“Jiyong!” the girl’s cheerful voice greeted him back. “Did you like your ringtone? Hehe. I recorded that when I went to your house and you-“
 
“Spare me the details” I grimaced. “What do you want? This better be good, spoofy ‘coz this phone is intended for emergency cases only”
 
“Just wanted to let you know that my parents moved out” she started and went on to the whole story. He was amused at how Jaejoong was able to find a way at once. He’s pretty sure it was the other guy’s doing. He started feeling the heavy stares of his friends on him. He wasn’t talking, not even saying anything. He was simply listening so he can’t understand why they were all staring at him.
 
“Are you not done yet?” he sighed. “I’m hanging up. It’s not an emergency anyways”
 
“Wait!” she panicked. “Will you eat dinner with me tonight?”
 
“I can’t”
 
“But you’re supposed to guard me” she said in a child-like voice. “And besides, I cooked more than I can consume. If something happens to me, it’ll be your fault”
 
“Fine” he sighed. “I’m coming”
 
“Yay!” okay, I’ll be waiting. See you in a while”
 
He growled as soon as the call ended.
 
“ ‘Fine, I’m coming’ “ Bom mocked. “So what are you now? Her slave?” since when did you become submissive?”
 
“Drop it off, Bom”
 
“No, you drop it off!” she exclaimed, voice rising. “You-“
 
“Why are you suddenly being like this?” Jiyong fired back. “You were the one who broke up with me and now you act like it’s my fault and you’re acting like it’s as if we’re still together”
 
Bom stiffened. “I badly regretted breaking up with you so you don’t have to remind me about it! You don’t know how I’m feeling right now because eventhough I want us to get back together, I know we can’t anymore. I know you’re not coming to me anymore but I’m still hoping you would!”
 
“It doesn’t really work that way, Bom. You’re still special to me but-“
 
“Bom shook her head. “Don’t say anything if you still want us to be friends”
 
“Bom-“
 
“Excuse me, I need to do something” she cut off and walked away. Right on track, Youngbae followed her.
 
“I hope you still remember what you said before right after you two came from the fortune teller’s booth” CL said quietly. “You said you won’t let it rue you”
 
“I’m not!” he gritted.
 
“Yes, you keep on saying that but are you really doing it?”
 
Jiyong sighed. “Let’s talk some other time. I’ve got things to do”
 
“I hope you know what you’re doing, Jiyong”
 
“I perfectly know what I’m doing” Jiyong acidly answered. “I’m not stupid”
 
And he left.
 
“Whoa!” Seungri exclaimed. “It’s quite hot in here”
 
“Shut up” CL hissed and turned to leave.
 
“Where are you going?” Seungri called.
 
“I’m going after Bom”
 
“That would be the most stupid thing you’ll do”
 
“And why is that?” CL asked, raising her brows and crossing her arms across her chest.
 
“Isn’t it obvious?” he arrogantly asked. “Let Youngbae have his moment with Bom. Stop acting like an insecure little teenager. The bitterness shows”
 
“Bitterness?” CL repeated.
 
“Yes” he hissed. “Don’t even try to deny it, CL. You feel bad because NOBODY has ever courted you. You’re a living proof of what they call no-boyfriend-since-birth. Such a pity”
 
“I see you’re being a jerk again tonight” CL smirked. “It’s not going to work on me, Seungri” she finished then walked away.
 
“Huh!” Seungri snorted to himself. “Nothing really works on you”
 
 
Meanwhile, Kwon Jiyong stood in front of the girl’s door. He was still in a bad mood after the arguments he had with Bom and CL.
 
“Jiyong!” the girl sang and threw herself to him, catching him off guard that he almost stumble backwards.
 
“What the do you think are you doing?!”
 
“I’m just happy you came. For a minute, I thought you wouldn’t”
 
“Well, that makes one of us. Now will you get off me?” he snapped.
 
“Why are you so grumpy?” she asked, pulling away from him.
 
“I’m always grumpy” he grimaced,
 
“Oh yeah, I forgot” she rolled her eyes and pulled him inside with her – straight to the dining area.
 
“Are you planning to feed the whole town?”
 
“I don’t know what you like so I came up with this” she shrugged/ “Oh, by the way, where are we going to sleep later? Here or at your house?”
 
“We’re not going to sleep together” he greeted.
 
“I’m not pertaining to the other thing. I mean it literally. And might I remind you, you’re supposed to guard me so you need to be where I am” she confidently said.
 
“You are so enjoying this, aren’t you? He asked suspiciously, eyes narrowed.
 
“The foods are waiting!” she said instead.
 
 
~JIYONG’S POV~
 
She talked the whole time we were having dinner, didn’t have any rest at all. I just sat there, not speaking but I must admit that the irritation I felt with what happened between me CL and Bom somewhat lessened as I listen to her stories, reliving all her stupidities in the past to me. As much as I tried, I can’t help but laugh at some point of her stories but when I noticed the mischief in her eyes, my face fell.
 
“What’s with that look” I snapped.
 
“I’m just proud of myself” she shrugged.
 
“And why is that?”
 
“Because I can make you laugh now” she smiled proudly. “That’s one of my goals, you” she added with a wink.
 
I growled in response and silently cursed myself. I froze as the girl started giggling.
 
“Shut up” I hissed but she continued giggling. When I can’t stand hearing her giggles, I stood up.
 
“Hey, where are you going?” she straightened up.
 
“Clean this up” I said. “I lost my appetite”
 
“Why don’t you do the washing? I’m really tired with all the cooking and-“
 
“I’m your WATCHER, not your dishwasher. Now clean this up”
 
“Fine” she pouted. “Go ahead to the sink”
 
“And why would I do that?” I hissed.
 
“You said it yourself. You’re my WAAATCHER, so how will you be able to watch over me if you’re not beside me, right?”
 
My eyes narrowed but I didn’t say anything and just went ahead to the sink. Why are my words having backlash? Aish! I leaned back at the far corner of it, crossed my arms across my chest and heaved a deep sigh.
 
The girl was humming softly when she came in with a pile of pates on her hands. She then started washing the plates while I was tapping my foot impatiently. I glanced sharply at her when she wiped her bubbled hand on my face. She was grinning at me. My jaw clenched at this, wiping the grin off her face and making her bow down to resume what she’s doing.
 
Later, when she was finished, I leaned away from the sink and started heading to the stairs. I already took two steps on the stairs when I heard someone squealed and jumped on my back.
 
“Ya! Get off me!” I hissed. Instead of letting go, she wrapped her arms and legs around me.
 
“I’m really tired. I can’t walk anymore” she said.
 
“I don’t care. Might I remind you, I’m not a babysitter”
 
She rested her chin on my left shoulder. “Ah, I missed having piggyback rides. Oh, does this mean we’ll sleep here and not in your house?”
 
“Obviously” I gritted.  “I don’t want you to infect my room and bed”
 
“You’re really rude and mean”
 
“Then stop bothering me” I returned.
 
“I’m not bothering you, I’m simply being friendly”
 
I shook my head and chose to remain silent. She jumped off the moment we arrived in her room. She happily informed that she’ll have to do some of her evening rituals first. I just waved her off and went to a chair nearby. I dropped myself there and looked around. I heard the sound of the shower the same time the girl started singing at the top of her lungs. I grimaced and took my headphones out. Jesus! What a noise her voice is!
 
A while later, she came out from the bathroom clad in her pajamas. She jumped to the bed and called me to join her.
 
“I’m staying here” I said.
 
“Then I’ll sit beside you, too”
 
“Why are you being stubborn?” I asked.
 
“I’m not being stubborn”
 
“Just go to sleep, will you?”
 
“Aren’t you going to sleep?” she asked.
 
“No” I answered. “I’m supposed to WATCH you, remember?”
 
“If you’re not going to sleep, then I won’t sleep, too”
 
“That’s pretty easy” I smirked. “I can make you sleep in no time”
 
“I’ll tell Jae you used your power on me”
 
My face instantly fell. “You’re such a nuisance”
 
“Liar” she said. “Now come over here”
 
“No” I refused.
 
“Fine, I’ll sleep on the floor and if Jae hears this, I’m pretty sure-“
 
“Fine!” I snapped. The girl grinned and moved over to the end side of the bed, giving me space to occupy. I sat at the edge of the bed, kicked my shoes off and leaned on the headboard.
 
“Are you just going to sit there? Why don’t you lie down?” the girl asked.
 
“I won’t lie down and nothing you say will convince me to!”
 
The girl yawned and moved over to me, resting her head on my thigh.
 
“What do you think are you doing?! Why don’t you just use your pillow?”
 
“Shh. I’m trying to sleep” she shushed me. With an irritated growl, I pushed her away roughly that she almost fell off the bed. She squirmed back to me and rested her head on my lap, holding on tight to my leg.
 
“Sandara Park!”
 
“I’ll remain like this if you won’t lie down”
 
I pulled my hair in frustration. Why did I come here in the first place when I perfectly knew what will happen?
 
“Fine!” I growled. “Now scoot off!”
 
She moved her head and hand away. The moment I was lying flat on the bed, she turned around, her back facing me.
 
“Goodnight, Kwon Jiyong” she said.
 
I didn’t answer.
 
“Ahm, Jiyong?”
 
“What?!” I snapped.
 
“Thank you” she whispered. “For being here”
 
“You should thank your boyfriend, not me” I answered. “I won’t agree to this if I know I’m not going to get anything in return”
 
“Still, if you really don’t like to do it even if you will get something in return, you won’t do it. But you agreed. So thank you”
 
“Could you just shut up?”
 
She didn’t answer anymore. I stared at the ceiling, thinking about what she said. No, I don’t like what I’m doing but why am I doing this anyways?
 
I remained like that for how many hours, trying to answer my own question but I still came with nothing. When it was near midnight, the girl suddenly turned around, facing me. My eyes widen as she went to snuggle to me. I tried to push her away but her leg suddenly flew to my thigh while one hand rested on top of my chest.
 
What have I gotten myself into?
 
this life!