The Porch

The Shadows

“Let's just postpone it” I heard Mom whispered.

“She'll understand” Dad insisted. “And the flight's tomorrow already”

“But I don't want to leave her alone” Mom whispered back.

“We'll be just gone for three days”

“Where are you going?” I finally entered the kitchen.

“Have you been eavesdropping?” Mom asked in her superior tone.

“A little” I shrugged. “So, where are you going?”

They exchanged glances but knowing them, Dad will be the one to spill it out.

“We're planning to have a three day get away, as a celebration for our wedding anniversary” Dad finally said.

“Really?” I exclaimed. “Wow! That's really sweet! I almost forgot it's your anniversary the next day”

“See? I told you she'll understand” Dad smugly turned to Mom.

“So, what's stopping you?”

“Your Mom's worried of leaving you behind”

I rolled my eyes. “Mom, I'm seventeen. I can take care of myself”

Mom looked hesitant. “I trust you dear. It's just that you've got a boyfriend now-”

“Mom, Jae's in London” I cut off. “And he's not my boyfriend. Yet”

“Oh” Mom mumbled then chewed on her lips. “But of course, there are house rules that you-”

“I already know everything Mom”

o=o=o

I drifted from one class to the other. Jae's not around. My parents already left. I hate being left alone. But at least I've still got my friends to talk to. As the school day ends, I went to ask them to hang out but Victoria and Krystal got dates; Luna got her cheerleading practice and Sulli got a sick brother to take care of. Since I don't want to wander around alone, I decided to go home. Friday nights are supposed to be fun, not boring.

I've been waiting for a call from Jae but so far, none. It's already ten in the evening. I'll give him 'til midnight. I glanced at my phone on my study table when my eyes caught the light flicked open in the room from the other house. With an idea springing up to my mind, I dashed downstairs and attacked the fridge. Dad usually keeps a generous number of canned beers. I don't think he'll notice I took some of his drinks. I closed the lights as I head out. I locked the door and hid the key under a pot and went to my neighbor.

I rang the doorbell thrice.

~JIYONG'S POV~

Odd. I think I heard a doorbell rang. But I know that's impossible. No one visits me. But when it rang twice again. I finally realized that someone's out in my porch. This is new. With hurried footsteps, I went down and opened the door. My shoulders fell as the girl grinned at me brightly, raising her arms to show me what she brought over.

“What?” I scowled. “Didn't I tell you not to bother me?”

Her face fell slightly but then she smiled gain. “I need a drinking buddy. You game?”

“I'm busy” I bit out.

“No, you're not” she said. “I saw you in your room. You were just lying in your bed”

“Well maybe because I want to sleep” I exaggeratedly sigh. “And have you been spying on me?”

“No” she quickly answered. “It's just so happens that I'm still awake when you came in. My parents left to celebrate their wedding anniversary and my friends are busy while Jae is in London, so I'm pretty much alone”

“I'm not interested with what your parents or friends are doing”

“You're rude”

“And so?”

“I'm trying to be friendly!” she cried out, her lips pouting.

“You don't really want to be my friend”

“I just want a drinking buddy. I won't stop bothering you if you won't drink with me”

“Jesus!” I breathed. “Fine! But after this, don't ever come near me again”

“Can I come in now?”

“No” I hissed, "we'll drink here outside.

“But it's cold”

“Better” I growled.

“Okay. If that's what you want” she shrugged.

I sat down by the porch, not bothering t look or wait for her. When she sat down beside me, I moved a little away from her. When she put the cans down, I grabbed one, opened it and gulped it down.

“Wow! You're pretty fast!” she exclaimed. “So, are we friends now?”

“No”

“Why?”

“Because I don't want to. And why even bother? We live in different worlds”

“I'm a friendly person”

“It's either you're crazy or CRAZY” I snorted.

“So, tell me. Are you seventeen or eighteen?”

“Can't we just drink without talking?” I asked, irritated.

“That's boring” she complained.

“For you. Not for me”

She turned silent. I smirked. Finally! But then, she started talking again. She started talking about her favorite movies, favorite TV shows, gossips about celebrities, etc. I didn't even bother listening. I just stared up at the moon, drinking. I didn't even bother PRETENDING to listen.

“Oh” she exclaimed. “I drank all of it. Wait, I'll go get new ones” she said, jumping to her feet and ran back to their house.

She came back a while later, bouncing on her feet while humming to herself. She sat beside me again, making me move to the side again- away from her.

“There are a lot of rumors about you” she started.

“Yeah” I snorted. “So you shouldn't be too friendly to me”

“Are they true?”

“Which one, exactly?” I asked unknowingly.

“Hmm. Let's see” she mumbled thoughtfully. “They said you're into drugs, gun smuggling and everything illegal. Then, they said you're sleeping with widowed women for money, stealing from convenience stores, involved in illegal underground matches. I heard you also threaten to kill the family of anyone who goes against you, terrorize teachers for grades. Of course, there's also the murder of your father”

“You were there when I confessed to the police that I killed my father so it's not really a rumor, is it?”

“I don't know” she said, sounding irritated. “I'm not saying what you did was right but I can't really blame you. I mean, your Dad was a monster. You're rude but I don't think you're heartless”

“Start believing it now”

“You're really rude” she mumbled. “Have you ever had a girlfriend?”

The question made me choke.

“I got a semi-boyfriend right now. He's Kim Jaejoong, in case you don't know. I like him very much but I don't think the intensity of his feelings for me is the same with how I feel for him. Ah, he's just too perfect; too beautiful”

I want to go to sleep and this girl's making me sleepier.

“I'll make a deal with you” she suddenly said.

“You're just wasting your time”

“This'll be fun. I'll tell you a secret of mine that NOBODY knows and you'll tell me one secret in return”

“You talk too much” I growled.

“Are you ready for my secret?” he cheerfully asked. I glanced at her.

“You're pissed drunk” I dryly noticed.

“Sorry” she grinned. “It's my first time to drink”

I spat my drink out. “And you chose a criminal as a drinking buddy? You're nuts!”

“Blah blah blah” she grimaced. “Are you ready to hear my secret?”

“I'm not interested” I retorted but she continued anyways.

“Drum roll!” she said then made drum roll sounds. She then lowered her voice in a mysterious whisper. “I used to have a crush on you before”

I spat my drink out again and cursed.

“Cursing in front of a girl is really rude. And like I said, it was BEFORE. You're overreacting” she said, rolling her eyes. “So, tell me one secret of yours”

“You lecture me about cursing as a bad thing. What about drinking?” I questioned.

“There's always an exemption to the rule!” she heated up. “And I don't always drink. Like I said, this is my first time. You, on the other hand, always utter bad words”

“And you don't?” I sardonically asked.

“I try to stop myself from saying it eventhough the words pop into my mind. That reminds me, they said you got a tattoo of Satan at your back. Is it true? Can I see it?” she asked, pulling my shirt up. I cursed loudly and slapped her hands away. I fixed my shirt back and glared at her.

“Are you nuts?!” I bellowed.

She pouted but then, she brightened up again. “Tell me one secret”

What kind of a creature is this girl?

Maybe I'm pissed. Maybe I just want to shoo her away. I want to scare her away because before I can stop myself, the words just came out from my mouth.

“I'm not” I smirked, “entirely human”


---------------------------------

banner by iichiren