The Visit

The Shadows
o=o=o
 
I was driving home when I saw Kwon Jiyong went into the cemetery again. I past by it when I decided to stop. I stepped out of the car and went into the cemetery. I saw a dark silhouette up ahead. I called him but he didn’t stop nor respond. I take it he got his headphones on again. I started running but then, I tripped. I quickly pushed myself up and looked up, only to find him gone.
 
Where’d he go?
 
The stillness and coldness of the night suddenly dawned on me. I looked around, my heart beating hard against my chest. I suddenly felt an overwhelming fear. I slowly retreated, looking here and there when the sound of a branch breaking made me jump and squeak.
 
I felt goose bumps all over as I past some tombstones. I turned around and was about to run when a crow suddenly flew in front of me. I was able to stop myself from screaming. I clutched my chest and tried to calm myself down.
 
“It’s just a bird, Dara” I told myself.
 
“You shouldn’t be here” a male voice from my right said. I jumped again, eyes growing wide. Slowly, the person stepped out of the shadows.
 
“I . . . I was j-just. . .” I stammered. The guy inclined his head to the side, his dark eyes curiously staring at me.
 
“Are you lost?” he whispered in a slow voice.
 
“No, I was just. . .” I trailed, forcing my feet to move as he started advancing on me. The crow suddenly screeched, making me jump again. The guy whistled and I heard a rustle. The crow flew towards the person and settled on the guy’s shoulder.
 
“Why are you here?” he asked.
 
“I was just following a. . .” I trailed. Oh dear! “Ahm, I should go” I croaked and sidestepped but he suddenly blocked my way.
 
“You look scared” he noticed.
 
Oh God! Please help me!
 
“Well, this is a cemetery so it’s kind of creepy” I chuckled nervously.
 
“Then why did you come here?” he asked in a low voice. He started advancing on me again. I took a step back, my eyes never leaving him. Then, I abruptly turned around and ran. I looked behind me and saw that the person didn’t stop walking. I felt something solid and warm that I screamed again. A hand covered my mouth.
 
“Jesus!”
 
I looked up and saw Kwon Jiyong. I wanted to cry from relief but the way his eyes looked drove my relief away. He removed his hand away from my mouth. Before he could utter a word, I beat him to it.
 
“There’s a guy who-“ I started and looked behind me but I saw no one.
 
“Seungri, what the ing hell are you doing?” I heard Jiyong asked. I looked back at him again, frowning. Who is he talking to?
 
“I was just hanging out with Youngbae when she arrived” a voice from my left said. I jumped again. How did he get over beside me so fast?
 
“Y-you know him?” I asked. Kwon Jiyong looked at me, eyes narrowed into tiny slits.
 
“What the ing hell are you thinking?” he gritted.
 
“I saw you went in here. I got curious so I followed you” I explained shamelessly. “Were you. . . were you visiting your father?”
 
I heard the person called Seungri laughed the same time the crow on his shoulder screeched.
 
“Go home” Jiyong said.
 
“But-“
 
“Go home” he repeated. “This is not a place for someone like you”
 
“In shirt, mind you own business” Seungri said which was followed by another screech from the crow; I can’t help but glare at the guy. He’s rude. Now I know why Kwon Jiyong is rude. This Seungri guy is a bad influence!
 
“And you” Jiyong turned to Seungri. “I’ll deal with you later”
 
“What?” the latter innocently asked. “She looked so funny so I just thought-“
 
“Didn’t you have enough fun with-?” Jiyong gritted then stopped. He took a deep breath then exhaled wearily. “You two go ahead. They’re looking for you”
 
Eh? What did he mean with “you two”.
 
“Okay” Seungri shrugged and started heading deeper into the cemetery.
 
Jiyong then turned to me again, his expression was unreadable. “Go home” he said then turned to leave. I heard a rustling sound from somewhere. I looked around butr saw nothing and no one.
 
“Aren’t you-?” I started and faced up front again but Kwon Jioyng was nowhere to be seen.
 
o=o=o
 
“You’ve got to be kidding me!” I exclaimed as I saw Jae up in our doorstep with two bouquet of flowers, a box of cake and a bottle of champagne.
 
“I aim to impress” he winked. I offered to help him carry the box and the bottle but he strongly said no.  “Just get this other bouquet. It’s for you”
 
“And I take the other’s for Mom?”
 
“Yep” he grinned. “And the champagne’s for your Dad”
 
“You’ll impress them alright” I said, shaking my head. “Come on in, then”
 
I led him to the dining area where Mom and Dad were waiting. I suddenly felt shy and anxious. This would be the first time for me to introduce SOMEONE to my parents formally.
 
“Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Park” Jae greeted politely. He went to give the flowers to Mom and the bottle to Dad.
 
“Good evening”
 
“Thanks for this” Dad chuckled. “Please join us”
 
“Thank you” Jae bow4ed again as he took a seat across Dad while I took the chair across Mom.
 
“So, what dies your family do?” Mom started.
 
I wasn’t really surprised when Mom started the “interrogation”. And I was definitely surprised when she seemed so fond with Jae. But who wouldn’t be? Dad, on the other hand, was being his usually light self. I can’t help but think what would happen if I invite Kwon Jiyong to dinner.
 
“So, have two made it to second base already?”
 
“Dad!” I exclaimed, totally embarrassed. I turned redder as I heard Jae chuckled lightly.
 
“I’m just trying to stop your mother form her interrogations”
 
“I’m not interrogating. I’m simply curious” Mom reasoned out. “So, when will your parents return from their Europe trip?”
 
“This Friday” Jae answered. “Which remind me” he smiled and glanced at me. “I’d like to ask permission of bringing Dara with me to the city this weekend. My parents are eager to meet her”
 
“That’s fine with me but the city’s pretty far from here. It’s almost half-a-day drive from here” Dad said.
 
“If it would be alright,” Jae slowly said in a careful tone, “I’d also like Dara to sleepover our place”
 
Holy cow! I didn’t see this one coming! Mom and Dad would never let me go, especially Mom.
 
“That’s fine with me” Mom said which totally made my jaw drop. “But you have to give your word that NOTHING will happen. You know what I mean, right?”
 
“Yes, ma’am. You have my word” Jae smiled.
 
“And you have to sleep on separate rooms” Dad added.
 
o=o=o
 
“Hey, relax” Jae said in a soothing voice.
 
“I’m nervous” I confessed as I fidgeted with my hair. “What if they won’t like me?”
 
“Why wouldn’t they? You’re adorable”
 
“But we can’t be sure, right?”
 
“Dara” he said, you don’t have to be scared. Just be yourself, okay? They’ll love you. And even if they happen to not like you, it wouldn’t change how I feel for you”
 
I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. I forced myself to smile. “Thanks” I murmured. He squeezed my hand and glanced at me briefly with a smile on his face. He then looked up ahead as he continued driving down the free way.
 
Fifteen minutes later, the car finally slowed down and stopped in front of a gate.
 
“Oh. My. God!” I gasped as I saw the HOUSE. No, I can’t even call it a house. It’s one of those establishments in the Victorian era.
 
“It’s pretty old” Jae said.
 
“It’s beautiful” I said in amazement. “And pretty intimidating”
 
He chuckled. “Still look old to me”
 
We were greeted Jae’s mother as soon as we stepped out of the car. I was amazed at how elegant and sophisticated she looked.
 
“Hi” she smiled. “It’s nice to finally meet you. Jae told me a lot about you but he forgot to mention how beautiful you are”
 
I blushed. “Oh, thank you. You’re very beautiful, too”
 
“You’re prettier, dear” she waved off. “Let’s get inside so you can have a few hours of rest before dinner”
 
“It’s so kind of you, thank you”
 
“No worries, dear” she waved off again. “Sorry for the absence of my husband. I hope you won’t take it as lack of hospitality. He just got an urgent phone call but he’ll be joining us later for dinner.
 
“It’s fine with me. I understand”
 
“Thanks” she smiled then stopped. “Here’s your room. I’ll assign a maid to attend to your needs-“
 
“You don’t really have to do that. I can-“
 
“I insist. Just tell her what you need, okay? Don’t be shy and please make yourself at home”
 
“You’re so generous”
 
“Not really” she laughed lightly. “I’m just being a mother to my son”
 
o=o=o
 
Mr. and Mrs. Kim were so easy to like. They’re like Dad, only they seemed more elegant, more sophisticated and graceful.
 
“What are your plans for college?” Mr. Kin asked
 
“I still haven’t decided yet” I answered truthfully. I felt a twinge of nervousness and regret as how my answer sounded irresponsible but Mr. Kim chuckled in response.
 
“Jae should think more like you” he said. “He doesn’t have a single strand of fun in his body. I’m pretty sure you find him boring most of the time”
 
“Dad” Jae groaned.
 
I can’t help but laugh.
 
“Your father’s just telling the truth” Mrs. Kim agreed. “You should be grateful you met someone like Sandara. I’ve been worried about you being single. You’re good looking but you lack what most girls find attractive”
 
“And that is?” Jae asked, sounding amused.
 
“Sense of humor. You’re a goner in that part”
 
“So true” I chuckled. He glanced at me and I gave him a smile as I recounted his feeble attempts in making jokes to his parents.
 
“You said that?” Mrs. Kim asked in disbelief. “That’s the lamest joke I’ve ever heard”
 
“And there’s another one, too” I continued.
 
 
 
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
*a/n: again, this isn't a vampire fic.. ahaha..
banner by daisuke