Taemin Awakens

The Writing On My Hand

Jae’s POV

I immediately withdrew my hands, and Taemin stirred the slightest bit, but fell back into sleep. But Faia wasn’t really focusing on that. She looked at my cheek, the bits of bandages patching up my glass shard wounds, the bruises, my black eye, and all of Taemin’s wounds, and opened. She didn’t utter a word, only came and dropped into a chair next to me.

I didn’t know what exactly to say, but went straight to defense for the hand-holding.

“Uh, Faia, Taemin was just thrashing around in his sleep and so I uh, had to hold his hand to calm him down.” I said awkwardly, sounding stupid and… awkward.

Faia merely nodded. Was she upset about that at all?

“What happened?” She finally asked.

“Kangdae happened, kidnapped Taemin and I saved him.” Summed it all up.

Silence. And then, “Oh.”

I tried to recall Faia’s face when she first saw me. Did she focus at all on the hand-holding?

“Erm, I’m going to go to the bathroom.” I stood up, dusting the nothing that stained my pants and left the room.

Faia’s POV

I looked at Taemin’s injured figure, lying almost motionless. I was aghast. I didn’t really mind Jae holding Taemin’s hand like that, because she did it to stop him from moving about.

Anyway, I was horrified. Taemin and Faia in such a state… it was terrifying. What exactly happened there? I can ask later…

“Jae.” I jumped, and then stared at Taemin’s face. “Jae?” He was saying Jae’s name… I was dumbstruck, and then realized how sad Taemin would be when he realized Jae didn’t like anyone. Did Taemin like her?

But Jae doesn’t like him… A nurse came in and put a food tray for Taemin on the table, and then left.

I swallowed a gulp. Taemin’s hand began to move, flexing, like he was reaching for something. My heart ached. Suddenly he took my wrist.

“Jae.” HE murmured.

My voice caught in my throat and I sniffed. No tears. Then he pulled me a little closer, making me bend over him.

“Don’t ever go, Jae.” My heart literally dropped as he uttered that, and I looked regretfully at his serene face. It looked like he really, really liked Jae. If not, he wouldn’t be talking about her in his sleep. Poor Taemin… Jae won’t return his likeness.

…would she? When we’d talked before… she’d said she liked someone, then I told her, and then she said it was a joke. I scrunched up my face, thinking. I tried to recall her face, to detect any sadness in it, any discomfort. I couldn’t really remember.

About to pull back from this awkward position, Taemin’s eyes flickered open, and I flinched.

“Faia… that you?” He mumbled, putting his hand to his head, looking dazed. Of course he would… he had a concussion. I was able to pull back now. Taemin rubbed his head several times, blinking, and wincing when he hit a bruise.

“That’s me.” I replied weakly, feeling happier he was awake.

“Taemin’s awake?” Jae’s voice came in, and I turned around. She was holding three water bottles, probably from the vending machine. Oh my gosh, did she see what happened before? I hope not.

I bit my lip. “Yeah.” I sounded light. Jae came to my side, setting the bottles on the table.

“Jae. What happened?” He asked, rubbing an eye. Jae put a bottle in my hand, and sat down.

“Stuff. But you’re here and OK now.” She replied, smiling a bit. I watched her face carefully. Then Taemin’s eyes widened considerably.

“What happened to your face?” Referring to the X-shaped scab on her cheek.

“It doesn’t matter. Wait until you’re better to ask questions. Drink some water.” Jae avoided the question, and held the third bottle to Taemin. He took it, just staring uncomprehendingly at it at first. “Drink.” Jae repeated, and he sipped it. “You got beat up pretty badly.” She commented.

“Why can’t you tell me now? I want to know.” Taemin protested, capping the bottle, and flipped his hair to get it out of his eyes. Just that movement looked painful, and his hands went to his head and he shut his eyes.

“Sshh. Calm down. You can find out later. Not now.” Jae put a pillow behind him to sit him up more comfortably, and then gave him the bowl of clear broth from the tray the nurse brought in before. Huffing, Taemin took it and began to eat spoonfuls. Jae was being… mother-like. Taking care of him. I didn’t know she was capable of that.

I was silent, just watching, observing, feeling a little left out. Jae turned to me.

“Make sure Taemin eats the food. I’ll be right back.” She told me. I nodded, switching seats so I was closer to the food tray.