Faia

The Writing On My Hand

Jae’s POV

I blinked, and then started jumping up and down, cheering my head off.

“Jae!” The blue team, even if we weren’t close, came running down the ramps because their vests began to blink blue again. The losing green team was still red, as was Taemin. Together we all yelled and cheered, and with Jihoo, Hyorin, Hyori, Nara and Mihi, I exchanged email addresses. New friends… and I was so happy right now. As we were all herded to the main room where we stripped of our vests and weapons, I was still smiling from ear to ear. I was a little sweaty and tired, so I tied up what I could of my hair, and hunted for Taemin in the crowd.

“Taeeeemmmmmiiinnniiiee-OPPA!” I pretty much glomped him. Where did this cheerful, peppy girl come from? I have no idea.

I haven’t been this happy in a long time. Literally.

“Good job Jae… next time I’ll get you.” Taemin warned with a straight face, and then laughed. We laughed together.

“Dippin Dots?” I suggest.

“After the ferris wheel. We have to. I HAVE TO SEE THE VIEW.” Taemin said dramatically, striking a pose. I pushed him lightly and he stumbled, faked a frown and again we laughed. “We only have a little bit more time until we have to go back.” I faced Taemin.

“And anyway, thank you so much Taemin-oppa! My birthday has never been this much fun!” I smile even more, wondering how my mouth could stretch that wide. He blushed a bit, looking embarrassed.

“No problem, dongsaeng!” He gave me a thumbs up. I stepped back a bit to pretend to take a picture, but I hit someone and stumbled.

“Jae!” It was Faia. I did a mini-frown, remembering the earlier incident.

“Hi, Faia.” I said, keeping a friendly tone, bowing to apologize for bumping into her.

“I’m so sorry for earlier… it was my fault, I just kept babbling.” Faia bowed, too. I waved it away like a good friend. No matter how much I didn’t really want her here, I have to act nice. That’s what polite people do. I’m a polite person. Always trying to not insult anyone.

“It’s OK.” Taemin hung behind me.

“You came back to the park? Thought you left…” Faia went on.

“Yes.” I replied.

“Hey, today is my only free day, and maybe I can sleep over so we can catch up on everything.” Faia suggested.

I didn’t want to. I really didn’t want to. But it would be impolite not to, since we’re friends and really haven’t seen each other for the past SEVERAL years.

“We can go home together, too.” Faia pointed out. I wanted to spend my birthday with Taemin only. I’m having a great time already. I chewed my lip. As I mentioned before, I had acknowledged my increased ‘liking’ to Taemin already and didn’t want Faia there.

“Ok.” Is what came out of my mouth. Me and being polite… she’s trying to make me feel better by helping celebrate for me, so it would be rude to not accept it. I swallowed my big fat ‘NO.’

“Great!” Faia’s eyes twinkled. I looked closely at her face, and I couldn’t help but think her eyes were twinkling at the thought of Taemin, who she told me in one of her emails, was one of her biases from SHINee.

I think it was dread I felt coursing through me. Did we have to go on the ferris wheel together?

“We’re going to the ferris wheel as our last ride.” Taemin commented. He was behind me right now so I couldn’t tell anything in his expression. Is that disappointment in his voice? I’m not good at catching emotions in voices.

“Oh cool! I’ll go with you guys.” My heart dropped, like the forty pound weight I armcurl and then drop onto the floor because it’s too heavy.

“Ok! That’ll be nice.” I fake-beamed at her. I turned to Taemin. “Let’s go then, shall we?” I managed to keep the smile on my face, and for my last ‘closeness’ with Taemin, I took his hand, as well as Faia’s wrist, and walked to the ferris wheel.

***

I made myself sit next to him. When his hand was in mine, he was the only thought in my mind. His hand had been so warm, soft, tender.

I sound like a ert.

Anyway, I sat next to him.

I wanted to. I crushed on him, now, but it’s also fabulous to be his friend. It’s not because he’s famous and all, but he’s genuinely nice and sweet. I’m going to tell Faia after Tamin leaves, during our sleepover.

Sleepovers are fun, anyway. We stay up so late just talking about stuff.

Faia (luckily) sat on the other bench, and I could tell she wasn’t happy with that. I had gotten good at reading faces, just not voices.

I think, because of Faia, we were all stiff and not speaking a lot. Taemin made an effort.

“The view’s really nice, isn’t it?” He commented. I glanced out the window.

“Yea, it really is.” Genuinely smiling as I spoke.

“That’s where we met.” Faia mentioned. I followed her view.

“Mhmm.” Fake-smiling as I told her.

Conversation dropped off.

“So, where did you guys go?” Faia tried again.

“We went on a rollercoaster, the teacups and Laser Tag.” I answered quickly. “Eruption rollercoaster.” I clarified.

“Teacups?”

“I kill on teacups.” Faia considered that, and nodded.

“Laser Tag was really fun!” Taemin piped up. “Though in the end, the one-on-one was Jae and me. Jae won, though.”

“You should have let him win, Jae! He must have ruined his image…” Faia said with a straight face, then burst into laughter.

By the way, I’m thankful this seat is crowded with Taemin and me.

I imagined how the ferris wheel would have gone without Faia.

So much less stiff and more fun.

Oh well. I get to look forward to Dippin Dots and cake. I wanted and didn’t want the ferris wheel to end.

I wanted to so I didn’t have to sit here with Faia, and didn’t want so I could sit next to Taemin longer.

You might have expected me to be a clueless about love type of person, but NO.

I be not.

Anyway, the ferris wheel came to a stop and we all climbed out, ready to walk back to my house. It was only half a mile away, anyway.

“Since we’re getting cake later, we shouldn’t get Dippin Dots now.” Faia lectured us.

“Today is my birthday.” I retorted.

“I don’t want any.” Faia told me as Taemin and I went to quickly buy some Dippin Dots. We laughed together as I joked a bit and at the stall, we fished in our pockets for our money.

We came out with a grand total of:

$5.25

(no won, too confusing for meee)

“That’s enough for one small.” I stated the obvious.

“We can share it.” Taemin fixed the problem. He’s probably shared food all the time, judging by his comfortable-ness. “Two spoons please! What flavor do you want?” He asked me.

“Whatever you want.”

“No, whatever YOU want, birthday girl.” He threw at me. I looked down, wondering if I’m blushing again.

“Cookies and cream.”

“Cookies and cream, please.” Taemin repeated to the lady. She smiled.

“Sharing?” She asked.

“Yes.” Taemin replied. Remember, sunglasses and hat, so she doesn’t know.

“Then I’ll put in extra.” The lady winked at us.

“Ah, thank you so much!” Taemin bowed, taking the cup and two spoons, handing me one spoon.

Omo, sharing a cup with Taemin.

I took a spoonful of the Dippin Dots and ate it, smiling. So yummy.

We finished it before we reached Faia, and we all went to my house. Faia called her house to bring sleeping stuff on the way.

***

“Happy birthday, Jae! Blow out the candles.” Mom gestured to the bright flickering flames. I made my wish, and gently blew on the fire. They went out with a soft whoosh and everyone clapped. Mom, Dad, Taemin, Faia and I all smiled.

The SHINee Birthday Cake (how embarrassing) was cut.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OfRqG7xoBG8/TVy23K69ObI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/8-WI5Bjv_2o/s1600/shinee+cake.jpg

(I didn’t make that cake)

“Jae! Give me Jonghyun-hyung’s head. I’m going to tell him I ate him when I get home.” Taemin asked.

“I’m taking your head, oppa.” I replied, but nodded to his comment. Faia got Key, another SHINee bias.

The cake was delicious. I wiped my mouth with a napkin. Faia had a present. I opened it and found a set of earrings I will most likely never us because I’m too lazy to use earrings. But still, they were nice. Mom and Dad got me some clothes and birthday money, but best of all-

“A new laptop?! Ohmigod thank you so much!” I hugged both my parents tightly.

After the thank you and such. I didn’t want to show my necklace to anyone and Taemin just said he already gave me my present before.

Faia would be all over it in the sleepover.

After eating the cake, Taemin had to go.

“Bye, Taeminnie!” I waved cheerfully.

“You forgot the –oppa.” He replied in mock-annoyance.

“I made sure to forget.” I retorted and he laughed again. Omo. Taemin is opening his arms. I pretty much flew into them, hugging him VERY tightly, but friendly. It was a goodbye-hug.

“YOU SURE YOU AREN’T DATING?” Came my mom’s voice from the kitchen.

“MOM!!”

“Teehee~”

“Jae, easy, don’t squeeze the life out of me.” I only tightened my grip.

“Just to show you my strength, oppa.” I replied, laughing and releasing. I was very strong.

“I’ll never mess with your strength.” He promised.

Faia looked like she wanted to hug him, too.

How did I know?

“Bye Taemin!” She settled with her goodbye and he was out the door, walking down the street. I closed the front and door and raced up the stairs to my room with Faia.

“Anyway, Jae, we have to tell each other everything! What did Taemin get you?!” She hissed when I closed the bedroom door.

“He got me Dippin Dots.” I replied, glad my necklace was tucked into my shirt.

“Is that it?” Faia looked… relieved??

“Yeah.”

“Well anyway, let’s change into PJs and get our sleeping places ready.”

***

Even though I had a bed, we set up comforters on the floor so talking would be easier. Some of the clothes mom got me were soft black pajamas. I was wearing those now.

We lay down on the blanket mats and Faia put her head up on her hands.

“First things first, we have to tell each other our crushes. I’ll go first.” Faia squealed, but a long minute passed after she said that.

“OK…I can go first.” I decided afterwards. I should be honest. Lying is kind of impossible for me, depending on the situation. Faia just can always tell lies when it comes to love lives. “I like T-“

“I like Taemin!” Faia interrupted, gushing. The rest of Taemin’s name got caught in my throat. I swallowed it down. “He’s the cutest person ever! He’s totally my type!” I closed my mouth.

Excuse me…? Did Faia knowingly cut into what I was saying?

“You’re his friend, so you can fill me in on everything about him!” Faia went on.

“U-uh… how will you become his friend? You don’t have anything with him in school?” I put in, feeling my insides tremble.

“I’ll just sit with him during lunch!” I could feel the beginning of devastation crawling around me.

“…” I wanted to start yelling right now.

“Anyway, you like Minho, right? You guys are dating anyway.” Faia continued. NO.

“No, I don’t. He just said that to stop Y-someone from insulting me.” I interjected.

“He’s totally in love with you! I can tell from that.” Faia squealed.

“No, Faia, he’s  just my –“

“Boyfriend, I know. Stop bragging.”

“Faia, he’s not my –“

“Friend. I know he’s not your friend, he’s your boyfriend.”

“He’s not my boyfriend.” I huffed, exasperated. Was Faia always this annoying? I began to regret her being here at all.

“He’s not? Well, he’s bound to be!”

“Faia!” I said sternly. She shut up. “I don’t like him! He doesn’t like me! He’s just acting as a friend!” I spat, then composed myself. Faia never got me past annoyance. She just got me mad. She’s changed… Faia stared at me blankly.

“Oh, you DO like him!” She clapped her hands to her cheeks. “I can tell. Jae and Minho.”

“Faia. Quit it. I don’t like him.” I never get this annoyed.

“Whatever. Anyway, you’ve got to support me to the fullest with Taemin! You’ve just got to! Aren’t we perfect?” Faia was smiling. “Taemin and Faia, Faia and Taemin! And at the amusement park I could totally tell he had a thing for me!” I breathed silently. She thought that when Taemin and I sat together? When Taemin and I ‘ditched’ her momentarily to get ice cream? She thought that when Taemin and I were standing closer than with her. I was getting angry now, but I’m good at masking emotions. That’s one type of lying I’m good at. Lying about my feelings.

“Maybe.”

“Maybe? No, it’s definitely! Anyway, who do you like? Hmm, I bet it’s JJong! JJong, Key or Onew!” Faia went on happily.

“…”

“Key, right?”

“…”

“Yeah, definitely. Key and Jae. Even better than Minho!”

“…”

“I can imagine it. OMG! Imagine you with Taemin… my Taemin, that would be hilarious.” I ground my teeth. I was ready to de-friend Faia any second now.

“Wow. Thanks so much.”

“I’m just saying you guys wouldn’t be that good together.” Faia said matter-of-factly. That stabs.

“Uh-huh.”

“No offense, but you’re just so weird!”

“Lovely, Let’s go to sleep now.”

“You and Key is still weird.”

“Good night.”

“Key and Jae… Faia and Taemin, we can go on double dates.”

*snore*

“Taemin and I would be so cute, right?”

*snore*

“We’d be the cutest couple. Remember to support us!”

*snoooore*

(it’s 1 AM, Faia finally fell asleep and I never went to sleep)