Real Faia

The Writing On My Hand

Jae’s POV

“Jae! Yo! Don’t fall asleep on me now, friend! It’s not even eight o’clock!” What the-?

“Wha?” I sat up. Still wearing the clothes I wore to the amusement park, the comforters messed up, I took in what just happened. I glanced around.

“You just like, zoned out, and then you were mumbling things like ‘this is really annoying.’” Faia pulled me up from my lying down position.

Excuse me, did I just dream that?

Is my jealousy over nothing taking over me?

Man, I feel really ashamed of that now. I am a horrible person.

“Anyway, so how’s life going on over here?” Faia asked. She was in her pajamas. Feh, I can sleep in jeans.

“Pretty good.  You should have seen me the day SHINee came.” I laughed, accepting that Faia hadn’t transformed into a poophead while she was in America.

“Let me guess. Arms covered in ink?” She knew me well. I guess my mind just made up all that stuff about Faia being all poopy.

“How didja know?”

“I know you more than you think.” She said with a straight face, and then we laughed. “Just wondering… how did SHINee get to sit with you at lunch? I heard from my older friends that they sit around you in every class.” Anyone in their right mind would have to be curious.

“Well, I skipped two grades, right? One, I have no eleventh-grade friends, two, no one really likes me, so three, no regular kid sits next to me so the only empty seats are the ones next to me, and four, my lunch table is the only table big enough for SHINee.” I explained. Faia tugged at her hair.

“Um… is it OK… if you tell me the big story with, you know?” Faia referred to when I got all emo like a wuss.

“Yes.” She was their friend too. She needed to know.

“We were all good friends and such, but one day, after school, a girl not from our school came into our school, probably to give something to the teachers, and you know Kangdae?”

Faia nodded.

“Well, I found Kangdae… shirtless… on top of that girl… who was .” Bluntbluntblunt.

Faia’s face was sort of o.O, :O, and :[___]

“So I had to hurt Kangdae to let the girl get away. I had to. The teachers came, checked the hall cameras and Kangdae was arrested, but the story got twisted into things like beating him up out of jealousy, or interrupting him with his ‘girlfriend.’ That girl was obviously not his girlfriend. IF you were there you could tell. She looked completely scared and wanted to run away and hide in a hole.”

Faia was more like =[________] now.

“Yunhee, Myunghi, Sunhi and Miyoung all believed the twisted stories.” I went on, shoving down all emotion back down my throat.

“…They didn’t believe you?” Faia was astounded.

“Nope.”

“Wow…” Faia looked torn. Knowing her best friends her other best friend must be quite upsetting. I don’t blame her. I allowed her some time to think this through. I put a hand on her shoulder. “Let’s not talk about this for now. How are you doing now?” Now I felt bad for all the bad thoughts I had about her before. I haven’t seen her in four years now. 

“I’m doing really well. How was America?”

“Pretty good. Some snobs, some nice, it was weird adjusting to it and all, no uniforms and such. And the languages and no bowing.” I laughed lightly.

“I figured. Missed you.” I replied, giving Faia a light hug.

Thank god she hasn’t changed. She didn’t seem like she was obsessed with Taemin though… I probably just imagined it all before. Since she’s the old Faia, I decided I could trust her.

“Faea.” That was what me saying, “Faia,” and Faia saying “Jae,” at the same time, and I chuckled. Faia blinked.

“Jaia.” Again. We said it at the same time.

“Ok, Faia, you go first.” I told her. She ducked her head a bit.

“Well, let me ask a question first. Why are you… dating Minho?”

“Faia, I’m not. He just said that to make Yu- someone stop insulting me.”

“Oh.” Faia replied thoughfully.

“What else were you going to say?” I went on, SO glad she wasn’t like my dream, pestering me on that topic times twenty.

“Do you like like anyone?” Well, yes I do. It’s not like I have much of a chance though. Oh my god, is she going to say she likes Taemin? Babble about how they’d be the cutest couple? I don’t know…

“Yes.” I replied, cautiously going on.

“Me too.”

“Oh… is it someone from America?” I hope SO badly. SO SO SO much.

“No.” She chewed her lip. “Alright. It’s Taemin.” Is that my heart dropping again like the 260 pounds I leg press and then release?

“Taemin?” I went to confirm.

“Yes… I know it’s weird, I’ve only met him today, too. It’s just that I don’t think I’ve met any guy who I’ve ever been really friendly with. At all. He’s older than me, too. I don’t think I’ll have any chance, him being an idol and all. Even though he’s an idol, he’s actually nice and easy to be around.” Faia spoke genuinely. I could tell.

Am I going to trouble her by telling her that I like Taemin, too?

Am I going to tell her she has no chance?

Am I going to prioritize her feelings in front of mine?

Am I going to best her senseless?