ManPower

The Writing On My Hand

Jae’s POV

“Move and he dies.” Kangdae warned, flipping out a switchblade, holding up Taemin’s head and putting it to his neck. I clenched and unclenched my fists as the two guys walked up, grabbing my arms and dragging me over to Kangdae.

He was grinning. I chomped my lip to stop from speaking, and stared him down. He pulled the knife away from Taemin, let him drop and stepped over him to me. Keeping one foot steady on the side of Taemin’s head, he used a hand to grab my hair and pull my face up. With the knife, he gently laid it on my cheek.

“Let’s mark where this will end up, shall we?” He traced an ‘x’ teasingly. What and when could I do something? “Oh, first, let’s get rid of this.” He picked up my phone, which was peeking from my pocket, and then threw it hard to the side. I heard it shatter.

Knowing Kangdae, he would get pissed if I didn’t react to the pain at all.

That may give me an opening. The two at my sides gripped my arms until it hurt, and then I felt him open the first cut on my face.

The pain stung, the knife stung, slicing a diagonal line. The blood poured out, and then he wiped it off with the sleeve of his shirt.

Why wasn’t I reacting? Kangdae began to look a bit confused as to why I didn’t do anything.  I braced myself as he quickly drew the next line, crossing the first cut but slicing a little deeper. The knife withdrew.

“Why aren’t you doing anything, dammit?!” He looked at me accusingly, yanking at my hair and stepping forward to push me back.

Off of Taemin.

I tore my arms from their grips, knocking them back. I grabbed Kangdae’s shoulder and kneed him in the crotch, then turned and flipped him into the people who had held me. Taking care to lead them from the crumpled Taemin, I elbowed another and punched.

I was not sure of what I was feeling. I was no doubt upset and angered, by Kangdae’s actions. The blood from my face stained the victims as well. Kangdae was out though, momentarily. I focused on another guy, who landed in a kick to my ribcage and a punch right on my cut, and another at my eye.

I held in a hiss, knocking his breath out with a palm to his chest.

Then I threw him away, back into Kangdae, who was just about to get up. The force knocked them both out.

I was greeted with sudden silence, and I rushed to Taemin.

“Taemin! Taemin, can you talk?” I spoke a little quietly. Faintly, weakly, he shook his head.

“Not much.” He coughed. It seriously broke my heart.

“Can you stand? I’ll help. Then I’m giving you a piggyback.” Stumbling, with my help, Taemin rose to an unsteady stance. Too weak to decline, he slumped over onto my back, and I hoisted him up. He let out a painful grunt.

“I’m sorry, sorry. I’m going to get us out of here, OK?” I whispered.

“Mmkay…” He was exhausted and beat. Slowly, I went to stand and I trudged to the window I had broken through. It was big enough for me to carry Taemin through. Sweat mixing with blood, I walked down the street, feeling my heart break because I really almost lost Taemin. He was in such a position… because of me, too.

Well, I know it was Kangdae’s fault and all…

Forget it. Not now.

Though people saw me and everything, most of the public would just walk by. They did. I ignored them too, feeling blank.

I suddenly heard vibrating. Not my phone. It was smashed.

Taemin.

HE must have fallen asleep though. With much difficulty (And feeling like I was a ert) I pulled out his phone and saw that Key had been calling. IT went to his background, and then there was writing on it. His address on it, in case it got lost. I knew where that was. I pocketed his phone because it was too awkward and difficult to put it back in his pocket. Then I ventured off, continuing to tread despite my own tiredness. Taemin first. I had to move slowly so Taemin wouldn’t wake up.

Suddenly my cheek burned.

Salt in wounds.

Tears.

I was crying.

Silently.

I’m sorry I let this happen to you…

I swallowed everything up. No one could tell anyway.

It was a dorm. There was a person at the front, and he recognized Taemin immediately.

“Can you call, uh, SHINee down? Please?” I asked, coughing. HE nodded, unable to speak, dialing a phone. I kept standing, letting Taemin be comfortable on my back. I didn’t want him to wake up now.

Two seconds later, I heard rushing footsteps, and then SHINee burst out from the door.