Ruined Birthday

The Writing On My Hand

???’s POV

I sighed, wandering around the amusement park. I swear, life is so boring. I kicked a rock along, careful not to scratch my sneakers or anything. I couldn’t scratch my shoes. I’m supposed to be the fashion role model to the world.

I’m not trying to be snobby, I swear, but I just really enjoy dressing up ten times more than I need to. It’s fun for me. You know, add on the scarves and jewelry, do up my way-too-long-but-natural hair and coordinate all the colors to be perfect. I haven’t cut my hair since… ever. I’ve never cut it before. That’s why it reaches just above my knees when it’s at it’s straightest. It’s a little wavy right now, but down and reaching my mid-thighs.

Well the shoes were these fabulous sneakers I got to go with my SHINee’s bias.

Let me tell you, they cost SO MUCH.

It was worth it.

You think it’s Jonghyun’s abnormally-mirror-like boots from Lucifer?

No.

The black Key ones in Hello?

Of course not.

The super-expensive pair of flame-winged sneakers Taemin wore in the new Japanese MV of Replay?

You betcha, baby. With the addition of skinny gray jeans, an orange one-shoulder over a long red, a sunset-patterned scarf and orange ribbons braided into my hair, I was ready to stroll out into the day.

Fashion is part of my life.

Anyway, I was bored, so I just wandered out, decided to go to the amusement park and here I am. I tucked some long hair behind my ear and walked down the path. I’m just going to start with the Ferris wheel, to get the view and then part on some coasters. Oh yeah.

I looked around a bit, and found a map in a small cart, and glanced around from my sunglasses. It was bright, despite the cool weather. Suddenly I heard someone’s name being called.

“Jae!” I turned to detect who called that name with my 20:20 vision. Is that Jae over there? I squinted. I already saw her new Sooyoung-like haircut, streaked with browns and golds and whatnot. Who’s the guy next to her? He had a hood, hat and glasses on. I moved to a better angle. They were just standing and talking.

OH MY ING GOD.

No matter the disguise, I can always recognize someone I’ve seen a million times.

LEE TAEMIN?

LEE ING TAEMIN? OH MY GOD. O.o

Excuse my profanity in your name, but why are you with Jae? Alooone? Together? I pulled my sunglasses down for a better look.

Meh… Jae and I had some pretty good years a while ago… I just came back from several years studying abroad… I hope she hadn’t forgotten our friendship. I was only back in school yesterday. She didn’t notice me… and why is she with Taemin is she’s dating Minho?

Not to be mean, but why is Minho dating Jae? Jae’s two years younger, like me than SHINee. Why do they sit with her? How did they come to friend terms with her? They’re IDOLS. Do they just randomly pick who they get with? Anyway, Jae and I did email each other over the years, but when I emailed her the date of my return I mistyped, and was unable to fix the email since I didn’t realize until THIS morning. I would have approached her… but hello? She’s surrounded by famous singers.

I kind of miss talking to her. I began to stroll towards Jae’s and Taemin’s figures.

“Jae!” I called. She turned around as I approached her, and wow, her entire face lit up. Man, just slap on some fashionable clothes and she’d be a model with that smile.

“Faia!” She turned from Taemin, flinging herself onto me. I was (cough) also taller than her. I was just abnormally tall for a fifteen year old. I was a few weeks older than her, and… 174 centimeters.

Taemin looked at us questioningly. I bowed politely to him. “Hello, Taemin-oppa, I’m a huge fan. I also go to your school.” I added.

“I thought you were coming back next month!” Jae continued. “Oh! Taemin-oppa, this is my friend Faia, Faia, you know who he is.” I laughed.

“Hi Faia… dongsaeng.” He smirked playfully, friendly. I chuckled.

“So anyway, what’re you guys doing?” I asked, sweeping some hair behind my shoulders.

“Oh, we’re celebrating Jae’s birthday!” Taemin replied cheerfully.

OH MY MOTHERING GOSH. IT’S JAE’S ING BIRTHDAY. I JUST MESSED UP  HORRIBLY TIMES TWENTY.

Excuse my profanity everybody.

“Happy birthday, my little dongsaeng! You fifteener-you.” I leaned on Jae like we did before. “Why’re you guys… alone?”

“Hana and the rest of SHINee are busy.” Jae told me, the slightest taste of venom in her voice.

“What about the rest of the gang?” I inquired, confused. Jae looked away, coughing. “Jae? You better tell me. What happened to Yunhee, Sunhi, Eunmi and Miyoung?” Jae looked uncomfortable.

“Can we save it for later? I’d like to enjoy my birthday without any sadness.” Jae interjected.

“No, we can’t. Tell me everything. Why didn’t you tell me in any of your emails?”

“They never emailed you about it, did they? Or maybe they sent it to your old email instead of your new one…” Jae mumbled to herself.

“Jae! What happened?!” I began to raise my voice, when Jae gave me this look that almost shut me up. I forced my uncomfortable feelings back and continued to speak. “Why aren’t any of them celebrating with you? It’s not like I have any classes with them! I want to know what’s up!”

I forgot Taemin was there. He was standing there idly, and he looked like he knew what happened. “Lee Taemin! What happened?!” He shifted his weight from foot to foot. “Jae!” Jae huffed.

“Fine. If you’d like to know, they ditched me because they think I beat up Yunhee’s love out of jealousy.” She snapped. Oh man, she NEVER loses any temper. Oh my god… she beat up Yunhee’s love, Kangdae out of jealousy? “When in reality, I saved a girl before Kangdae her.” She ended.

Oh my god.

For a second I feel torn. Is Jae right? We were all so inseparable before. What if she was lying? I feel horrible just thinking it, just that I’d been extremely close with Miyoung, Sunhi, Eunmi and Yunhee. Would I be forced to pick?

Jae must have figured it out that I’d have to pick, because she’s not the type to get this angry over friend break-ups.

“Taemin, can we go home? Please?” Jae asked Taemin all of a sudden.

“But we haven’t gone on anything! Your birthday! We need to celebrate it…” Taemin protested.

“Taemin. Please.” Jae’s voice was sort of cold. I bit my lip. Did I just completely kill her birthday? I thought about Jae’s smile only five minutes ago, and I felt a tiny pang of regret hit me. She had been asking for me to hold it until tomorrow. An apology would sound so hollow right now. I just kept pressing her for answers she knew would depress me. I don’t blame her for not telling me in the first place. She knew it would hurt me.

After a long pause, Taemin said, “Ok Jae, we can go back.” He reluctantly agreed. He glanced back at me one more time.

“See you later, Faia.” Jae croaked, and Taemin waved to me as the two became smaller in the distance.

I have never heard Jae use that croaky voice. It completely killed me and filled me with all this guilt, regret, pity and stress.

I watched as they vanished, wondering what the hell I would do now.