Oh No

The Writing On My Hand

Jae’s POV

They were loud, shouting both Taemin’s name and my name.

First I stepped back. Their eyes widened when they saw the state we were in.

“He’s sleeping. Don’t wake him up. Please.” I almost hissed.

“I’ll take him.” Minho offered.

“No. It’ll wake him up. I can take it.” I refused.

“OK, Jae, what happened?” Key pushed past Minho for a second.

“Not now. Let’s get him to the hospital. I don’t even know what they did to him.” I replied gravely, keeping my arms like iron, refusing to let go, backing away when one tried to reach out.

“OK. Let’s go.” I turned to meet eyes with Onew, and nodded. He went out to the parking lot and unlocked a big van. Walking a little quickly, but slow enough not to wake Taemin, I headed to the van, the members forming a semi-circle around me.

Remember that motorcycle I had? Well, while I had been beating the liver out of Kangdae, someone popped the tires.

And I wouldn’t have dared put a near-unconscious person on a motorcycle anyway.

***

I carried Taemin inside, but not piggy-style. You know how.

Doctors immediately took him inside a room, most likely performing scans to check for any serious injuries. A nurse took me to the side, cleaned my cuts and insisted on taking scans on me too, in case.

While we had been in the car, I’d been bombarded with questions I refused to answer, and Onew had called the police and given them the address and everything. I’d pretty much stayed silent, just mulling in my thoughts and staring at Taemin, realizing what might have happened if I’d left a minute later than I had.

The nurse took me to a separate x-ray room, telling me to undress and to put on the hospital gown, as to not block the x-rays and all. As I stayed stone-still, the device moved above me, scanning. Did something happen? Since I was used to pain and all that whatnot, maybe I hurt something and didn’t notice. Or I was so focused and immersed in thought that I didn’t notice. Because I’ve hurt myself so many times over the years, I’ve gotten used to it.

When the x-ray finished, the nurse hurried back in, looking serious.

“You have a few glass shards all over your left side. Not very deep, but there. We’ll pick them out.” She told me first. OK… that’s to be expected… I flew through a window.

“OK.” I replied.

“You also have a deep cut. We’ll have to clean it more thoroughly.”

“X-rays tell cuts?”

“No. Look down.” Oh. When did that happen? My calf… OK, then.

“Um… what injuries does Taemin have?” I asked as she cleaned out the leg cut, as well as the impressive number of glass scratches on my left arm and leg.

“Dress now. We’ll go check.” Strangely, she wasn’t all that hyped about SHINee.

Thank god.

-_-

I pulled my clothing back on and noticed the tear on my jeans that matched my calf.

I see.

Taemin was in a white hospital bed, looking weak, and broken.

“He has a sprained left foot and a slight concussion.” Key told me blankly, looking near tears. In fact, everyone did, plus worried about Taemin.

“Oh…” I actually spoke.

“Jae, what happened? We need to know.” Minho looked down at me. “I can tell if you’re lying, by the way.”

“I crashed through the warehouse’s window.” I began, not wanting to think of it again. Everyone crowded around me. “They had… beaten him somehow before. It was… um… Kangdae.” Gasps and murmurs. “With two others. He said that if I moved or resisted he’d kill Taemin. He had the knife at his neck.” Jonghyun’s breath hitched.

“Kill him?” Onew stared.

“Yes. The other two guys held my arms. Kangdae stepped forward, and kept a foot on Taemin. He was going to hurt me, for revenge of what happened before. You all know. So if I moved, he could have stomped and Taemin would have died.” I hiccupped a bit, realized I was going to cry, and cleared my throat.

“But I didn’t make any emotion. IT made Kangdae mad, and he stepped forward, and was no longer on Taemin. Then I just caught him off-guard and fought the others. When they were all unconscious, I brought Taemin back.”

Speechless.

Minho looked a little made. “We were seriously worried, Jae.”

“Did you want Taemin to die??” I countered. “Now we’re here, I’m fine and Taemin’s back. Don’t go telling me that I shouldn’t have gone in and almost died.” That sounded awkward, but it shut him up.

“Thank you.” I turned to face Key.

Girl or not, they all just came in a group hug. I swear, I’m going to start crying. Minho lingered back.

When they let go, they were pissed because they had to leave for one more thing on their schedule.

“I can stay.” I offered. They agreed to let me.

“Taemin will stay in the hospital until his concussion heals. Other than that, he’ll be fine.” A doctor assured them, and me.

“We’ll be back in two hours, Jae.” Minho gave a longing glance at Taemin. I could understand. That happened in a blur.

***

They had removed all the glass, and I was sitting in a chair next to Taemin’s bed. It’s only been around five days… already he’s become a close friend.

I stared at him, making note of every cut, bruise, and injury that damaged him.

I was alone now, right? I glanced up and looked around.

No one else in the room except for Taemin and me. A quietness settled around us.

Taemin was asleep. I squeezed my eyes shut, and a tear slipped down my face. I had been scared… so ing scared…

I grabbed a fistful of sheet from the bed. I could have died. Taemin could have died. I wanted to punch something, but no.

No. I’m not breaking down now. I hurriedly wiped the wetness from my face, clenched my fists, and took deep breaths.

It’s no good. My fists were shaking. This won’t work. I’m supposed to be the strong one. I winced as I frowned, feeling my X-cut open a bit.

“Jae.” I jolted. Did he just? “Run!” He flinched. Telling me to run? “Get out of here!” I swallowed. What kind of dream was he having? Was he reliving the incident before?

“Taemin…?” I looked uncertainly at him. His expression changed to a pained one.

“Don’t leave me.” Taemin’s hand twitched. “Don’t die. Please.” His arm lifted a bit up. “Don’t go!” His hand shot out, searching. What else do I do? I took his flailing hand with mine. “Jae?”

“I’m here, Taeminnie.” I said, using a light voice.

“Thank god.” He relaxed, and I blinked. Omo. I was so confused. Keeping a hand on his in case he freaks out again, I brushed some of his hair from his face.

Oh my god… and today is Onew’s birthday. This happened on his birthday… I wonder if Minho ever gave him his armband and chicken.

Was it really today I was dancing Lucifer and sweating like a pig? It felt like centuries ago. I Taemin’s hand as I calmed, pondering the events of today.

The door made the click sound it made when it opened. I turned to look.

Faia took one glance at me and my hands.