Like

Faint Love

 

fifty-six

 

 

so hee.

 

Won Shik-ssi apparently participated in the contest. Hong Bin-ssi, who was standing next to me, kept on covering his mouth, trying not to let his laugh escape from his lips. He told me that he found it weird and funny that Won Shik-ssi would rap on in front of everyone else because he thought that he might be the only one who would do so. And Hong Bin-ssi was right. He was the only one who rapped on the spotlight.

 

He kept on saying "I’m a gho gho gho gho ghost ghost" on top of his lungs whilst roaming around the stage full of confidence. Everyone were fist pumping in mid-air and having fun like they were in a party or something during the performance while I was standing on my spot confused since I couldn't understand what he was saying. He kept on spouting words one after another. "Are you enjoying it?" Hong Bin-ssi suddenly asked, "I don't know... I don't understand a single thing. Is he saying tongue twisters or what!?" I said loudly because he might not hear me. 

 

"Too fast for your liking?" Hong Bin smiled. Won Shik-ssi finished performing. Hong Bin-ssi patted me on the shoulder, telling me that he'll be back in a minute because he'll go see how his friend was doing after that amazing and mind-blowing stage. 

 

The last performance was up, and a tanned sophomore came up on stage. He was bowing at everyone with a bright grin on his face. I didn't know that Hak Yeon-ssi joined as well. I wonder what he'll do... I'm getting so hyped up that I can't stop a small smile from appearing in my face. He was holding some sort of cloth in his hand. Is he about to do some kind of magic trick or something?

 

The announcer introduced Hak Yeon-ssi and the people all around me cheered. Seconds later, he blindfolded himself with the cloth he was holding a few nanoseconds prior and stood still at the very center of the platform. Music started playing, and Hak Yeon-ssi started moving. He was performing this sort of contemporary dance. The guy was so smooth and so defined with his moves. The way his head arches back, the way his toe touches the ground ever so slowly, his posture, his detailed movements and steps, his wacking, isolation, turns and spins! They were breathtaking... Captivating. He looked like a professional out there. His extentions, style, and manner of dancing made everyone on edge.

 

"Now that's refreshing." Hong Bin popped out from nowhere and gasped at what he was seeing. "Wah~ Won Shik's undoubtedly gonna lose to this!" He clapped.

 

"He... He's blindfolded! Whi-While dancing!!!" I shook Hong Bin's body over and over. "It's a surprise he still hasn't fallen off yet. I mean, his balancing is off the roof!" He sounded excited as I nodded in response. "And everyone thinks that Won Shik's rapping is cool. Psh." 

 

I don't know why Hong Bin-ssi kept picking on Won Shik even though he did an awesome job. "But there were others that danced too you know." I said. "Yeah, but not like this though." He replied immediately. Our little debate finished when Hak Yeon-ssi did another nerve-wracking step that made everyone go "Ohh~!".

 

However, Hong Bin-ssi's absolutely right. 

 

I gazed in awe at the man who finished his stage and smiled at the spectators before him, the aura around him was contrasting the intense tune he danced along to a little while earlier. 

 

"He's just, so, mesmerizing..." Hong Bin raised an eyebrow at me. I blushed, realizing that I said my thoughts out loud. What an idiot!!!

 

 

leo.

 

"I can't believe the person who won the contest was the guy who did "stuff" with his hands!" 

 

"You mean the person who twisted his arms and got his whole body in and out of the space left with it?"

 

"Yeah! That... That flexible dude!!!" 

 

"The guy with no bones? I think he's a senior."

 

"Give him a break, he's already embarrassed himself." 

 

"I think he won because it's his last year here. They're just being considerate." 

 

"I wonder where the school got all that money."

 

It's the last day of the school festival and everyone is preparing for the campfire that will take place at 6 pm. The contest happened yesterday and everyone was sulking at how some strange senior got the 350,000 won all to himself. Jae Hwan and I didn't pay much attention to it since winning wasn't really our goal. We just wanted to have fun, you know, gain some experience. Well, it wasn't much of a "we" per se. I was just forced into it. It was Hak Yeon who wanted the money and thought that the more people, the more chances of winning. But it didn't happen. So too bad for him.

 

Now that the world finally knew that I could sing, people didn't stop pestering me about it, saying things like "Omo~ I didn't know you could sing!" again and again. Every once in a while someone would approach me and try to have a conversation with me. They were all short-lived, though. So too bad for them, too. 

 

Hak Yeon wanted to spend the night at our place once all of this is over. By the time Jae Hwan heard of it, he wanted to do so as well, saying "It's been a long time since I last saw your place! The last time was when we were in middle school~". I tried to say no, but in the end I couldn't convince them to not sleep at our house even with all of the excuses I've made. So too bad for me. 

 

"Congrats." Ji Eun poked my shoulder and grinned. I blinked at her in utter confusion. "But I didn't win..." I spoke under my breath. "It's just an expression." She smiled again, "But you did win something." "What?" I asked, more confused than ever. "Soo Ah's heart, for a number of times already. Wow. I'm impressed." The girl snickered. "Oh, so then I guess Jae Hwan won your number too?" I rebutted sarcastically so that what she said wouldn't get over my head. Ji Eun gasped. It seems like I struck a nerve. "How dare you - " 

 

"Yah, yah! Jung Taek Woon! I told you that you're on cleaning duty!" Hak Yeon interfered our little "quarrel", if one might say. "Yeah Taek Woon, go do your cleaning!" Ji Eun stuck her tongue out. While the elder was shooing me away, I sent another blow at the girl, "Hey, I heard you like fish jokes." I ran away hurriedly before she could even get to me. 

 

 

It's getting pretty dark, so I guess the campfire's going to start soon. The closing ceremony consists of us singing our school hymn around the campfire and maybe some little chats here and there before we say our farewells to each other. Like a ritual or something. "I even heard that there's going to be a short fireworks show... Oh! Hey Taek Woon!" I saw some of my classmates leave our classroom. Around three or four of them I think. I nodded at them as a greeting. "Dude, congrats! It was too bad you didn't win the money, huh? If you did we could go eat sometime~" They grinned and punched my shoulder playfully. "Hak Yeon deserved it more." I responded. "Oh yeah! He's the best! Like, how could you dance blindfolded and not fall off the stage!? What kind of sorcery is that!?" One beamed, "Where is he anyway? I have to talk to him!" Another joined in the conversation. "He's down near the campfire." I smiled and they all rushed downstairs. The silence came right after. "Weird how people are actually talking to me. In clumps." I tilted my head. 

 

"You won't go down yet?" I was approaching our room when I heard a voice of a girl from inside. 

 

"I'll be there later." 

 

Wait. That's Soo Ah's voice.

 

"Okay~" The girl came out of the room and bumped unto me. "Oops, sorry." She apologized, bowed her head, then headed straight towards the stairs. When I reached the doorway, I scanned the whole classroom. Everything was tidy and was back to normal, the way it was supposed to be in the first place. The chairs were arranged in rows, not like when it was still a tiny maid slash butler café. Curtains are gone, chalkboard is clean, the decorations were put away... Guess there's not much for me to clean then.

 

When I finished studying the whole area, I directed my gaze at the girl who was standing in front of the window that was across the door. I leaned my shoulder at the entranceway and crossed my arms, just, there, quietly staring at her figure, while she spaced off near the window, probably looking at the students gathering down the campus, or maybe the night sky, or the leaves of the trees that are starting to turn yellow or red or orange, perhaps even the moon, who knows... 

 

What a heart-stopping view... I thought.

 

"Kind of surprising that our class placed first in the "Best Activity" category." 

 

Soo Ah turned around in shock. "Taek Woon!" She blinked thrice and flashed a smile, "Ah... Yeah. There's even a consolation prize for it..." She tucked a bunch of her hair behind her ear. That one action made my heart skip a beat, and apparently made my ears turn red. We're alone - just the two of us - in this very room at this very moment in time. I neared her and stared at the window, trying to figure out what she was looking at the whole time she was in here. "By the way..." Soo Ah spoke up, "You were great back then." I shifted my attention back at her and heard her out. "...You know, when you sang." Soo Ah played with her fingers like a little girl in her tracksuit. Well, everyone was wearing their tracksuits, including me, that is. She's so cute. I could feel myself smiling at the sight before my eyes. "Thanks." I reached out and patted her head. It was my instincts doing it, to be fairly honest.

 

A few minutes passed and I wondered why Soo Ah wasn't moving, at the very least twitching. I retrieved my hand and leaned a bit forward, trying to take a peek at her current expression. She looked up from her eyelashes and jerked, moving her head away from me. Then I realized that I was too close, so I hid my almost blushing face with the back of my hand, cleared my throat, and looked to the side. 

 

We stayed like that for a very long while... Trying not to have eye contact and looking both ways, cooling our heated faces... The entire place was so still and quiet that the only thing we could hear are the enthusiastic voices of the people from downstairs and the sudden gush of cold wind... Probably even the pumping of our nervous hearts. 

 

I looked back at her again and got myself together. 

 

I then asked myself. "What if I confess to her right now?"

 

So I made a resolve. 

 

"You know..." I blurted out. Soo Ah looked up at me as I gazed into her eyes, her pretty face being showered by the faint glow of the moonlight. 

 

"I..."

 

Boom! 

 

We both turned our heads to the side and saw a bunch of fireworks shooting up towards the sky. They were huge, bright, and colorful. Our eyes were glued onto the spectacular scene that I almost forgot I was about to say something very important. Guess the fireworks decided to ruin the moment... Darn, what impeccable timing! I heard Soo Ah sigh beside me which made me glance at her. She was smiling. And she looked beautiful, along with the lights of the fireworks illuminating her entirety. She looked like she came right out of a dream.

 

"I knew you'd be here!" Lee Jae Hwan made a surprise entrance. "Geez, I've been looking all over for you guys! Come on, hurry! The ceremony's starting!" He grabbed Soo Ah's wrist and decided to take her along with him. "Ah! Wait!" She couldn't even complain or say no, so instead she looked back at me with an apologetic look while being dragged out of the room. "Taek Woon-hyung! You too! Let's go!" 

 

I guess she'll never find out what I was supposed to say.