Studying

Faint Love

 

 

thirty-four

 

 

leo.

 

A few weeks have passed, and my ankle has gotten much better. I've decided to go to school today, bringing along all of the homework I've missed. It was quite a load! As soon as I have entered the classroom, Hak Yeon pounced on me. "Taek Woon! You're here~" I stood in front of the door step, vexed. Everyone in the classroom turned and stared. And then they laughed. Just imagine Hak Yeon being a sloth and clinging unto me like a tree, who wouldn't laugh at that? "Hak Yeon... You can let go now." I rolled my eyes and whispered. "But I missed you." He complained, pouting at me with those puppy eyes.

 

"You visit me everyday when I was at home."

 

"Am I that heavy?"

 

"Hak Yeon..." I shut my eyes tightly, "You know what?"

 

"What?"

 

"You're not only gonna injure my back and make my condition worse, you're also injuring my dignity."

 

 

Hak Yeon told me that they had made plans to study for the exams in the library. And by they, I mean him, Ji Eun, and Soo Ah. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I asked his back. Hak Yeon was sitting in front of me. "Questions will be entertained later." He responded in monotone. "We might get caught chatting." 

 

"Are you trying to be sarcastic?" I asked and sneered, "Because it's not working." The bell then rang right after I finished my sentence. We all stood up and bowed, except for me, who was having a hard time standing up from my seat. As soon as the teacher left, Hak Yeon turned around and faced me with a big grin. "What was your question again?" I pursed my lips and looked straightly at him, "Nevermind... When is it?" Hak Yeon puffed his cheeks and looked at the distance, probably trying to remember something. "Self-study." He answered back immediately. "We've got the same time slots for self-study?" My eyes rounded for a while. "Yeah... I mean, doesn't everyone?" We noticed that everyone was leaving the room, so we've decided to do the same. "Does it still hurt?" The dark-skinned boy asked as he stared down at my bandaged ankle.

 

"A bit." I huffed as I dragged my heavy feet. "You shouldn't have gone to school if you haven't fully recovered."

 

"You want me to get zeroes again?" I glared at him. "Oh look! It's them." Hak Yeon pointed out and we came to a stop. Each and everyone of her classmates were surrounding her. 

 

"Soo Ah-ssi! I can't understand this one!"

 

"Help me with this equation please!" 

 

My eyes softened as I stared at her figure. She's getting along quite well with the others, huh? I smiled gently in secret.

 

 

It was time to hit the books. The four of us found a vacant seat in the library. Ji Eun was sitting across the oh so noisy Hak Yeon while I was sitting across Soo Ah, who was completely the opposite of Hak Yeon. I watched the two who were arguing again with the formulas and all that. "Soo Ah! This formula is correct, right?" Ji Eun approached her best friend who was quietly studying her notes. Soo Ah nodded. "Hah! See? I was right!" Ji Eun pointed her index finger right at Hak Yeon's nose. The latter frowned and raised his eyebrow. "Solve again." Ji Eun snickered evily. 

 

"Pssh." Hak Yeon got his mechanical pencil and wrote on his notebook again. Remind me again how this is supposed to be studying? I diverted my attention back at my textbooks. "Hey Taek Woon." Hak Yeon nudged me, "What are you studying?" 

 

"History." I took a small glance and went back on reading. "That's boring." He gritted his teeth, expressing how much he hated the subject. I ignored all of his the whole time. He wouldn't stop distracting me. "This is tiring, I want some banana milk!" Hak Yeon stretched his arms out, hitting my head real hard. I darted knives at him. "Taek Woonnie~ Let's go get some." He suddenly grabbed my arm and dragged me to the vending machine which was just outside the library. He got the banana milk and opened the lid. "Oh yeah!"

 

"I wonder why Soo Ah was being surrounded yesterday."

 

Surrounded? "What do you mean?" I asked, my eyes concentrating on his. 

 

"I think the boys were trying to hit on her yesterday." He drank again, "Too bad you weren't there to save her."

 

"Don't remind me." I purposely turned my back at him.

 

 

Self-study was almost over, and because of that, everyone got serious. Hak Yeon concentrated on History, since I told him to do so. I let Ji Eun teach him because it was her forte. She agreed eventually. "How about Soo Ah?" Hak Yeon asked, which made the girl lift her head in wonder. "Ah! No, she's good."

 

"What do you mean?" I got interested in their conversation, so I meddled. "She excels at everything, except sports." Ji Eun let out a small laugh. I glimpse at Soo Ah who was quietly engaged in her own world. I noticed her clean handwriting. "You have a nice penmanship." I blurted out unknowingly. Everyone gawked at me. In embarrassment, I got back into jotting down notes. "You're ambidextrous?" Soo Ah whispered. She might've probably noticed that I was constantly using both hands.

 

It's in times like these that you notice the little things.