Nearby

Faint Love

 

four

 

 

soo ah.

 

I met Ji Eun right after I passed by that man. 

 

Strange. His stare was far from different with the people back there. I couldn't get it off my mind.

 

Those eyes... They were really pretty, the way he stared at me. Those gentle eyes...

 

"Uhm, hello? Earth to Soo Ah?" Ji Eun waved her hand in front of me, I then winced at my spot. Well, it helped me get back to my senses. Thanks Ji Eun. She then sighed, "And when I finally found you... Geez, you're a handful!" I blinked at her, "Am I... Annoying?" I asked in monotone. "Of course not! I was just tired from rushing here, and I was so worried! You always get lost in these kinds of situations..." She declared. I was speechless for a moment, I didn't know that it was like that. As I thought, it was better staying in front of the main gates, but I just couldn't help it! I couldn't stay still, not with all those people surrounding me. I kept on swaying, my feet weren't still and they weren't rooted on their spot.

 

"...I'm sorry." I whispered. "Oh don't be! You don't have to apologize, you did nothing wrong!" Ji Eun grinned. I guess she heard that. Oh dear Ji Eun, I wanted to cry, you know? "I understand why you left your spot there. I was gonna grab you when I ran into a stampede!"

 

"You... Saw me?"

 

"Yep. I had to squeeze through everyone else. After a split-second, you were gone!"

 

So that was what happened. "Anyways, it's fine if you skip the opening ceremony. The crowd ealier was probably enough for you to take, what more of the entrance ceremony's?" She said in an anxious tone. Really, do I even deserve a friend like Ji Eun? I always make her worry. It makes me uneasy. I've been with her since elementary school and all I did was bother her as she took care of all the guys who bullied me. If only I could stand up to them... Then Ji Eun wouldn't be stressed! "So...?" Ji Eun looked at me, "Uhm... Let's go..."

 

"Are you sure?" Ji Eun asked as I nodded. "Well, okay then. It's your choice anyway. Nothing I can do about it." She grinned. Actually, my only purpose for wanting to attend the ceremony is to see him again. I, for an introvert, would try to talk to him... Just once is fine, right? I really wanted to know his name. Just his name was fine for me. That is, if only we could get the chance to meet again. Judging from the crowd a while ago, the school has probably increased in population... And I bet my chance of meeting him was just thirty percent. I sighed to myself.

 

There was this feeling in my gut that I should meet him, or am I just, well, taking this into mind too much? 

 

"You okay?" Ji Eun asked with worried eyes,  guess she noticed me sighing and all. I only nodded.

 

There were a lot of students seating on their designated seats. All of them were divided into their years and sections; males to the left and females to the right. I was busy, too busy shuffling, trying to get a comfortable position to even mind about all the stares piercing through me. I bet Ji Eun's irritated, too. All eyes on me, who wouldn't get annoyed with that? I felt  uncomfortable, I hung my head very low. I couldn't even raise my chin just to find the guy I was looking for.

 

In the end, I couldn't meet him.

 

leo.

 

 

It has been a week since I hadn't met her.

 

I couldn't clearly remember what happened the past few days, but what I knew was that Cha Hak Yeon was the one who was banging my door. I stood up, scratched my neck and neared the door. "Yah! You're going to be late!" I knew it. I just stood right in front of him with my droopy eyes and wrinkled blue pajamas. "Mmm..." I groaned and scratched my eyes. "What time is it?" I asked, doing my best to make it look like I didn't hear what he said a few seconds ago. "It's 6:30, sleepyhead." He glanced at his wrist watch.

 

This. Man.

 

"Agh!" I groaned even louder. What kind of person wakes up this early in the morning, seriously! "Dammit." I muttered. "Don't curse! ...If you did." He scolded me. "Go away." I shut the door loudly in front of him. I kept on wobbling towards my way to the bed. I was about to go back to dreamland when - "If you don't get up yet I'm going to tell everybody that you were once an "Ice Prince"." He shouted on the other side of the door. "And!?" I shouted back with my hoarse voice. "Everybody's gonna think you're weird."

 

"Everybody's going to think I'm cool." I smirked. Heh. Take that Cha Hak Yeon.

 

"I'm also going to tell everybody your secrets!"

 

"Like what?" I raised an eyebrow.

 

"That one time we were in middle school, you - "

 

I rushed to grab the door's handle and open the door, popping my head out. "I bet you couldn't even - " Then, I heard a splash. I was dripping wet head-to-toe, thanks to oh-so-earlybird Cha Hak Yeon.

 

"You...!" I got out, grabbed him, gave him the punishment he deserved. Later on he might file a complaint for physical abuse... Not that I care. I bet my sister let this guy in.

 

Ugh, forget it.

 

As the two of us were walking through the corridor, all I heard of was Hak Yeon's humming. He was literally skipping! What has gotten into this man!? Mayday! I need to get away from him, or else I might get suspected of being insane, too. Just when I thought wearing earphones was enough to maintain my calm, his humming was still passing through my ears. "Hyung." I glared at him.

 

"What is it, dongsaeng~?" He grinned. "Why are you like this?" I asked, holding in my anger. I just discovered lately, I was really moody, and this guy was the start of all this. "It's because I just discovered something~ You're going to be so happy!" He stated in glee. "You think?" I flashed him my poker face. "Don't give me that look, you'll see! You'll thank me later~" He smiled from ear-to-ear.

 

...Why me?

 

I finally reached my classroom. There were a few people... Maybe I do have to thank that guy. I walked towards my seat, put down my bag and sat on the chair with my hand tucked in my pockets. I slowly closed my eyes, earphones still glued onto my ears. The soothing ballad song was really wonderful. Everything felt calm and still, it was so peaceful! A small smile crept through my face. Just when the song ended, I opened my eyes. A sudden thought came to me.

 

I wonder when we would meet again...

 

Just when I stood up, I faced the window - "Ah!" 

 

What I saw through the window was her. She was nearby...

 

Her seat was near the window pane, and our buildings were just beside each other, too!

 

I couldn't believe it...