Duties

Faint Love

 

forty-three

 

 

soo ah.

 

"Rock, paper, scissors!" 

 

I watched the three in awe. Hak Yeon threw a paper, while Ji Eun and Jae Hwan both threw scissors. "Dang it!" Hak Yeon slapped his forehead and frowned. I tried asking Hak Yeon what was going on, but he was too busy contemplating on his loss. "It's just you and me now! Ha ha ha!" Jae Hwan chortled, popping the bones on his knuckles with this determined look on his face, getting ready for the last round. The words "I'm ready to win!" was written all over his face. "Just get it over with." Ji Eun rolled her eyes and put up a stance. They were both glaring at each other competitively. 

 

"Rock, paper, scissors!"

 

Jae Hwan won, since he threw paper and Ji Eun threw rock. Just when Ji Eun was complaining about her loss and the two boys were laughing at her, Taek Woon entered the room. "Where's Jae Hwan?" He mumbled. I answered his question by pointing at the guy who was patting the girl's back with a victorious smile on his face. Taek Woon sighed in irritation. He put his hands on his waist and asked the three, "What's all this for?" I bobbed my head. I myself was curious about what was happening. "Ah, that!" Jae Hwan looked at Hak Yeon and back to us, "What were we doing again?" 

 

Taek Woon rolled his eyes. "We're deciding on the person who would assign the chores." Hak Yeon informed. "Ah..." A little puff escaped my lips. So that was it... And here I thought they were only procrastinating and having fun. But of all methods on choosing the one in charge, why "rock, paper, scissors"? 


"And it seems like this guy here..." Ji Eun pushed Jae Hwan forward, "Would assign us our tasks." The puppy-eyed male flashed a smile at Taek Woon, who seemed disappointed with the results. I felt like it was a coincidence that the four of us were paired together. Today's "General Cleaning", and in each year, all of the sections would be mixed and would be paired in groups of four. I didn't have any complaints about it, since I would get to spend some time with my friends, despite the fact that we were supposed to clean the assigned parts of the school. "Come on, let's start so that we could finish early." Hak Yeon patted the other's shoulder. "Okay, so it's the pool and this classroom, right?" Jae Hwan asked as I nodded. "Hak Yeon-hyung, you go with Soo Ah in cleaning the classroom." Hak Yeon grinned, "Great!"

 

"Ji Eun, you go as well. Taek Woon-hyung and I are going to clean the pool, deal?" 

 

"Aw, I want to clean the pool as well!" Hak Yeon stomped his foot.

 

"Hyung, you'll only end up swimming rather than cleaning." Jae Hwan put on a straight face. "Now that it's all settled, let's go!" The big-nosed one raised his fist on the air, exhibiting a somewhat "superhero" pose. He repeated the word "Go" for three times while pointing outside the door. Hak Yeon got out to fetch the cleaning materials while Ji Eun and I moved the chairs of the classroom away. Taek Woon stood there, watching Jae Hwan get so excited like it was his first time doing some general cleaning. By the time Hak Yeon returned, we each grabbed some rags, brooms, mops, and a bucket of water. "It's no fun cleaning your own classroom, right Soo Ah?" I only stared at him, "There's no thrill." Hak Yeon pouted. Jae Hwan and Taek Woon left the classroom heading for the pool, and I was sure that Taek Woon shot Jae Hwan a glare.

 

 

The three of us were already sweating. Hak Yeon's face turned sour by the time he sloppily sat on a chair. "Ah~ This is impossible." He said while fanning himself, "We'll never finish cleaning this room!" Ji Eun stopped mopping and wiped her forehead, "You know what? We'll never finish because you keep on taking unnecessary breaks." Hak Yeon sat straight and face Ji Eun with a surprised look, "Yah! It's necessary. And I can't continue living unless I take a break!" I was listening to their conversation, more like debate, while cleaning the chalkboard. They were exchanging blows, and it didn't really help with the cleaning. I turned around and exhaled deeply. "Uhm, guys?" I called their attention. Their fighting halted. "You're both arguing. It won't help anybody, you know?" I scolded the two while they both gazed at the floor. "We'll never finish anything unless you two stop fighting."

 

Hak Yeon sighed and stood up, "Soo Ah's right." Then, he snatched the mop from Ji Eun. "Hey! I was mopping..." 

 

"You go clean the windows, I'll deal with this. You'll get tired easily cleansing the whole floor." 

 

"Cleaning the windows is easier." Hak Yeon added. I smiled at the scene in front of me as I headed towards the plastic bags. "Don't act like a gentleman." Ji Eun muttered with a pout as she cleaned the window panes with the wet rags. Well, she had no choice other than doing what she was told, it was for her own benefit, and there's no point with answering back. "I'll go throw the trash." I got the garbage bags and lifted them with all my strength. 

 

"The trash can's near the garden." Hak Yeon informed.

 

 

ravi.

 

We were cleaning the library and the teachers told us to throw the old and ruined books. It was quite a waste to throw them, but I had no other choice. We were also told to arrange the books according to their classification. I asked myself if it was possible since there were dozens, more like thousands of books! But then, if we couldn't finish today, then we could do so tomorrow, right? 

 

We were paired up with two other girls. It seems like the other girl was a classmate of Hong Bin. And the other? I'm not sure... It seems like Hong Bin didn't know her either, but the other girl did. "I'm going to throw these away." I said and carried the stack of crumbling books. I had no idea where the trash cans for these were, so I followed someone to the garden. It looks like the other years were cleaning too, and not only us freshmen. I wonder where Soo Ah-ssi is tasked... Maybe she's with that scary-looking, emotionless guy? I heard they were classmates.

 

I looked around, finding for a place where I could throw the books I've been holding unto for a while. "There." I tried to find the unfamiliar voice. My eyes landed on a girl - She had burgundy hair with curves at the tip. She looked kind of older than I am, so maybe a third or fourth year? I blinked at her while she blankly stared back. The girl raised her index finger and pointed at the pile of garbage bags and trash cans. "A-Ah... Thanks." I put the books down and looked at her one more time. It appears that she's assigned with watering the plants in the garden. Before going back to the library, I took one last look at her and inhaled the smell of freshly watered grass.

 

 

hong bin.

 

Today's "General Cleaning". And I was paired up with Won Shik and two other girls.

 

We were tasked to clean the second floor of the library along with two other groups of first years. I got a heap of books and placed each one of them according to order. When I'm feeling tired and lazy, I would sometimes take a break and sit on the floor, skimming through the titles of the book and actually reading some. I mean, who wouldn't get weary with all the mountains of work tasked to us? And let's be honest here, who wouldn't get distracted with all the books? After reading the prologue of a book titled "Crayon Days", I grabbed another one with a title "Flower".

 

"Huh." The book got my attention. I opened it and read aloud the quote on the very first page. 

 

If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever.
— Alfred Lord Tennyson

 

After reading that sentence, something came up to mind. And of all the things I should've been thinking of, it was Soo Ah. "Heh... Are you implying on me?" I shook my head with a smile on my face as I closed the book. I stood up and gained the energy to go back to work. As I did my task, these random but faint memories kept on clinging back to me. Back when Soo Ah and I were still in middle school.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

"...I'm raising this flower."

 

And then, that moment when she was with that guy popped in my head. That guy who was cold as ice. That guy whom she kept on talking and mentioning about. Is it "Taek Woon"? I couldn't remember. I ought not to. I went further back to my memories - Back to the day when we met again; when she asked some advice on how to befriend someone. In some way, I was afraid that it was him whom she was talking about. My thoughts were disrupted when I heard a sudden crash. I rushed to the noise and stopped at the third shelf. I saw my classmate sitting on a pile of books. "Ow..." She groaned achingly. I kneeled down and offered her my hand. "Geez So Hee... Be careful next time. You're so clumsy."

 

 

soo ah.

 

I reached the garden, and by the time I threw the garbage bags in the wastebasket, I saw Hye Jin-ssi watering the plants. Somehow, deep inside me, I wanted to greet her, but remembering the last time we met made me think twice about it. I gulped and stared at her. Her eyes were kind of empty and far-flung as she stared at the flowers and only watered a single spot on the garden. Is she thinking about something? I asked myself.

 

I felt that I was disturbing her, so I've decided to head back to the classroom so that we could finally finish cleaning. By the time I turned around... Splash! Water hit my back very hard. I closed my eyes tightly and felt the cold sensation run throughout my body, especially at my back. When it stopped, I opened my eyes. My mouth gaped open. I blinked twice, clueless about what happened. It couldn't be... I might regret doing this, but I turned around.

 

Splash!

 

Another wave of cold water hit my face. This time, I was very, very wet in every part of my body. I felt the water drip down from my hair to my face. It was freezing - The water was. A minute passed, and the water stopped attacking me. I coughed some of the water that his my mouth and lifted my hands. My clothes were damp and it felt heavy, the same goes for my shoes. I sighed and closed my eyes as I felt the water get inside my clothes and footwear, completely making my socks damp. I looked back up and saw Hye Jin pointing the hose towards me. "Oops." She acted surprised. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." She apologized and put the hose down. "Thought you were a tree..." She bent down and faced the planter box, tilling the soil with a small spade. I stared at her for longer than I should, while the latter ignored me and kept on tending the plants. "Wha..." I exclaimed. What could've made her do this? I mean, I didn't do anything wrong! I didn't hurt her, I didn't disturb her with what she was doing. I didn't... I... 

 

I could hear my slow breathes as I stand there rooted on my spot. 

 

Ah yes, somehow, I did something "wrong". She liked Taek Woon, that's why...

 

How rude. I thought as I kept my anger to myself and I headed back to the classroom soaking wet.

 

 

leo.

 

We finished cleaning the pool along with the other third and fourth years. Jae Hwan and I were about to head back to the others, but he was called upon by a teacher, so I had to go back alone. When I was walking by the hallways I saw someone who was drenched. My eyes grew big like an owl's as I stared at the person. What could've happened? She was wet from head-to-toe. Water was dripping down from her hair, clothes and even from her feet, making a small puddle around her. I squinted my eyes as I tried to take a closer look, and to my shock, it was Soo Ah.

 

My heart skipped a pulse. 

 

I ran towards her. She looked up and indifferently looked at me. I asked with my shivering, worried voice. "What happened?" She answered after a minute, I think. Soo Ah was desperately trying to think of a reason to say. "I... I... I-I fell by the pool." I furrowed my eyebrows, my insides were boiling in anger. "Don't lie to me." I grabbed her shoulder and pierced her eyes. "Don't you remember? I was cleaning the pool. With Jae Hwan."

 

By the time I said those words, her eyes twitched, probably trying to hold back her tears. I mean, who wouldn't get mad when someone did this to the person you cared about? Soo Ah might think that I was mad, but I wasn't. Why would I get mad at something she clearly didn't do? It's my duty to get concered. I was worried. Truly worried. That was why I was acting like this. My eyes softened at her state as I felt her shoulders droop. Maybe she was scared - Of me, since it was her first time seeing me get angry. I myself would admit that people would get scared by the time they piss me off. I get out of character. She was biting her lip, trying to hide the frown that was demanding to show up. "Who did this to you?" I asked. She was silenced with the stern tone in my voice. 

 

Whoever did this would pay. And I meant it.

 

"And this time, don't lie."