Preparations

Faint Love

 

fifty-two

 

 

hye jin.

 

I don't really understand why people put so much effort into these kinds of things. I mean, it's an event, not a competition, so it doesn't really matter whether or not your room, booth, or stall looks perfect and whatnot. But they did say that when it's pretty-looking, it would attract lots of attention and costumers. I can't really argue with that. But I just hope that it won't get in the way of our studies. I sighed to myself as I stared at my classmates also working hard right in front of me. We are doing some sort of movie theater... I guess you could call it that. We are going to play a movie the class made and people would pay for tickets. If I am a costumer, I don't really know if it would be worth it to come to watch something some upperclassmen made, but it's the effort that counts. "I should really do some work and cooperate." I mumbled to myself. I just got out of the conference room from a meeting and they started without the others. I should also do some studying on the third day since I'm scheduled to work on the first and second day. There are exams coming up a few weeks after the event, and it's important that I pass them to get into a decent university. 

 

I sighed to myself as I neared a classmate of mine and asked what I could do to help. "You could help set up the curtain later when they finish this." She replied as we both stared at a couple of students acting out a scene. Some classmates were holding cameras and were truly focused capturing the moment on film. They were pretty good cameras with quality, but they're not the expensive ones professionals would use. I was spacing out for a while, waiting for them to finish so that we could do some work, when some of the "actors" started screaming. A lot of us flinched, but I stayed rooted at my spot. He's really into it. He suddenly grabbed the other guy in front of him and they started fighting. Oh, so is it that kind of scene? 

 

I kept on watching them when someone whispered to me. It was the girl whom I asked earlier, "You know, it might look corny and funny and all, but they're doing their utmost best. It's going to be our last anyway, and I'm not really sure if something like this could happen again. Sooner or later we'll be in university, or, somewhere else for the others. And we'll be adults in the future, but it's going to be more likely that they're expecting us to be adults." She heaved some air, "Let's do everything we can for the time being, because, who knows, we might not be able to do it in the future. And we'll regret it. So let's do our best and hope that our best would make us happy. Seize the day, am I right?"

 

Why do I feel like that was meant for me? Right after she said those words, the first thing that came into mind was Taek Woon. And... And I don't know why.

 

Both of us fell silent, and after a while, the filming ended and we could all go to work. "...Why are you saying this to me?" I asked her. I mean, who wouldn't ask? It felt completely random for her to talk about it, and at a time like this. Though I have to admit I did think of something like that earlier, but I wasn't thinking out loud like she did. She seemed flustered as she averted her eyes and scratched her nose in an embarrassed way, probably thinking of a comeback. "Same as always." She then giggled. 

 

That's right. I remembered...

 

I'm going to graduate soon. 

 

Well, it's going to be my last school festival here anyway, so I guess I could also give my all.  So that it would be memorable.

 

 

I had some spare time to kill before lunch break. Everybody decided to rest for a while before they stuff their stomachs. The buildings of the first and second years are separated, and it's rare for us to go there, especially if we have no business to deal with at that place. The same goes for them. I headed outside and walked for a while to clear my mind. There were also other students flocking the hallway, with a bunch of materials on their hands. I also had to be careful not to step onto any carboard background or props and decorations. Without having any exact destination, I kept on going forward.

 

I wonder what the second years are doing. Dong Jun didn't meet up with the soccer players recently, since we're busy and all that, so he couldn't tell me much about what the others are doing. About what the freshmen are doing, about what the third years are doing, about what... Taek Woon was doing. I haven't seen him in so long. I wonder if he's doing well, with his classmates and that... That girl. And here I thought I was over it, but no. It's not easy trying to forget the things that happened. I kept on walking in the crowded hallway, waiting for the lunch bell to ring. As I kept on doing so, I spotted someone approaching. He doesn't look familiar and I haven't seen him around. I don't usually pay any attention to anything surrounding me but I still know and memorize my classmates names. It's the same with the third years in this building as well. Everyone else that passes his way would also take a slight gander at him. I raised an eyebrow and examined him from afar.

 

Huh, his patch color is different. A freshman?

 

Maybe he's got some business to deal with here. I didn't pay much attention anymore since I now know that he's a first year. Someone called me right after, "Hye Jin-sunbae!" I looked to the side and saw a bunch of third years sitting on the floor with brushes on their hands and paint buckets at their side. "What?" I asked with a deadpan face on. "Could you please tell Dong Jun-sunbae that we need the curtain right now?" 

 

I blinked thrice. "Curtain? What curtain? The red one!?" "Yeah... Have you seen it?" They blinked back. Damn Dong Jun, we set it up not knowing that it's just borrowed! I guess we actually need to buy one. "Sure, I'll tell him." I assured them and started walking slowly. "Thanks!" I could hear them from my back. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I felt like something was staring at me. I'm not so sure, it's a gut feeling. I'm not being paranoid at all, it just felt like it. I looked back, trying to make sure if my hunch was right. Those third years I spoke with earlier weren't staring at me, and I don't know the reason why they would if they were. Others weren't too since they're busy. I might be a sometimes but I don't have a bad reputation. I don't get rumored or get into any trouble with the teachers or break the rules. I also don't wear thick make-up and I don't do anything stupid to get attention. ...Don't tell me I'm being haunted!? I sighed and dismissed my thoughts. By the time I turned my head, I saw that freshman staring at me. I was right all along.

 

We both met eyes. He suddenly winced and bowed 90 degrees. I raised an eyebrow and looked at both sides, trying to make sure if he's actually bowing at someone else and not me. "G-Good morning!" He spoke and finally stood up straight. I looked at the side again. The boy didn't say much right after he greeted. I don't have any idea of what's happening at all. I don't know if it's me he's greeting or someone else. I pointed a finger at my chest just to make sure. Because of this, he tilted his head with a confused expression on and nodded. Huh. But, why would he greet me of all people? Have we met before? I scanned his face and bowed my head slightly back at him. I was puzzled for a moment, but I guess we did meet before. 

 

After a moment, he smiled coyly.

 

He looked like that, that yellow earthworm in a game Dong Jun was playing. I think it's called a "Larva", maybe?

 

 

hong bin.

 

 

We had a few classes right after lunch break was over. After this period, we were given an hour to work with the preparations for the school festival again, and then we get to go home. We had been working for weeks, and somehow, it's going well. 

 

Our last subject for the day was Math. I'm a hundred percent sure that Won Shik has a love-hate relationship with Math, but it seems like it's on the love side now. He kept on smiling the whole hour and I'm sure that I saw some flowers surrounding him. I don't know what's wrong, and I'm sure it's no good. Why? Because it was all so weird. Ugh. I don't know what to feel... 

 

Anyways, the teacher kept on spouting alien language and A's or B's or X's. Then, he would tell funny stories to keep us alive and awake. Then back to the equations. It's a routine of his, and I'm actually glad that he would shift from math to story time because continuous math discussions would give me a headache. Though I clearly have no problem with this subject, I don't really like discussions. I'd rather solve more on paper. It might seem effective for me, but I notice that my fellow classmates remember most of his stories more than the lesson. The hour ended, but Won Shik didn't stop smiling creepily. I guess I have to do something about that later or he won't be able to finish any work. I went outside and headed for a classroom to borrow something for the preparations when I spotted a familiar figure. I ran towards her. "Soo Ah!" I called her name and she turned her head around. In a split-second, she flashed a smile. I felt my heart clench a little, and that clenching feeling made me feel like I'm on cloud nine. I did the same, giving her my dimpled grin. I noticed that there wasn't anyone gathering around her right now. We are all busy, so I guess that's the reason. Yet others might've asked her already before I even did. She's always approached by a bunch of guys. "What are those?" I asked her and pointed at a big and seemingly heavy box she was carrying. "Are those for the café?"

 

"No." Soo Ah looked at me, "I'm going to return these back to the Geography Room." 

 

"Oh, so you had Geography then?" 

 

"Yes." She replied.

 

"But, those look heavy. Should I carry it instead?"

 

"N-No! No... I volunteered to put these back anyway even if the teacher also didn't agree. And I might be bothering you with what you're doing if I do that. Also, it's not that heavy, see?" She lifted the box over her head just to prove her point.

 

I chuckled at how cute she looked at that time. It did seem light, so I let her do it. She would keep on insisting anyway if I would offer help. That's how stubborn she is. "How'd you know I was about to do something?" "It felt like it." She smiled again. Agh! Her smiles would always make me feel fuzzy inside. We entered the room and I saw that there were some other students there as well. I stayed by her side as she neared a shelf and started putting the things her class might've used back to their proper places. "So, uh, you have a schedule, right?" I started a conversation. "Hmm? What schedule?" Soo Ah spoke and didn't leave her eyes off the shelf. "Something like, for the shift?" "Oh! Yes." She answered back; tiptoeing at a higher level of the shelf. I kept an eye on her. "I'm scheduled at the first and second day. How about you?" 

 

"Ah, I'm at the second and third day." She put a rolled-up map at the lower half of the shelf. "Isn't the third day kind of optional?" 

 

"Yeah. It's the day of the contest, right?" Soo Ah asked and I nodded. She put the box away at a table nearby and faced me. "You're going to join the contest?" "N-No!" She had this crooked smile on her face, "Hak Yeon's going to join, and I think Jae Hwan would, too. So they wanted me to watch their performances. I can't really say no..." My mouth formed the shape of an "O" as I nodded and looked to the side. I'd like to keep on talking for a while, so I need to think of topics. It hasn't been that long since we last talked, but it felt like it was months. "Are you gonna participate?" She asked out of the blue. I rubbed the back of my head and smiled slightly, "I won't. But Won Shik said he would - " My eyes widened. I cut off my own sentence and immediately neared Soo Ah, placing both my hands on the shelf to enclose her and lowered my head. I closed my eyes and felt the impact of the box down on my back. It hurt, but not that much to the point that I need to scream in pain. 

 

I opened my eyes. A voice came out at our left side. "S-Sorry!" He exclaimed with a worried face. I looked back at the top of the shelf, and there were boxes too. It seemed like he was trying to reach for something but then it fell. I looked down and saw Soo Ah in between my arms with her eyes still closed. She opened them right after and looked at me with her cheeks burning. I felt mine burn up as well. Soo Ah was so close. So close. Her eyes were wavering and she kept on looking at every corner where my eyes weren't. She bit her bottom lip, "A-Are you okay?" She asked. "Y-Yeah. I guess. Are you okay?" I asked the same question and she nodded. Soo Ah bit her lip again, "You know... Y-You could've pulled me instead of..." I batted my eyelashes twice, glanced at the side and pouted with an eyebrow curled up. You don't have any idea why I did that, do you? I wanted to say those words, but I can't. "It's too late. The box was too close." I answered back.

 

"Soo Ah?" By the time I heard her name, I detached myself from her and looked back. There he was - Jung Taek Woon - standing at the doorway. We were having a staring contest, and when Soo Ah spoke up, I looked away.

 

"Taek Woon...?" 

 

"...I heard you were here." He approached us with his hands tucked inside his pockets. Taek Woon glanced at Soo Ah, then slowly back at me. His eyes twitched by the time I stared daggers at him. The tension was rising. 

 

"Y-Yeah... Is something the matter?" She asked him.

 

"Is something the matter?" He asked Soo Ah. It didn't feel like he was actually asking her, but me instead. He didn't keep his eyes away from me. Neither did I. I ignored his question and didn't answer him, because Soo Ah might think of something else if I did. His pokerface didn't change, but the tone of his voice did by the time he spoke up.

 

"U-Uhm..."  Soo Ah looked at us with a frown on her face. I know she wanted us to get along in the first place, but it doesn't seem like it. He finally stopped the contact. "We're putting up some wallpaper. We need all the help we could get." He spoke calmly, like nothing happened at all. "...Sure." Soo Ah sighed and looked at me. I frowned at that point in time.

 

"Let's go." He beckoned her to come over. She obediently did. "Thanks Hong Bin." Soo Ah smiled, "I'll see you later."

 

 

"Hey." Won Shik waved a hand in front of me. I got my subconciousness back and looked at him. "What?" "Did you know that there's a nickname for Soo Ah-ssi around here?" He informed. The topic got me interested. "How'd you know?" I inquired. "I heared some guys at the classroom talk about it a while ago." Won Shik said. 

 

"What's the nickname?"

 

"I think it's something like "Unreachable Flower"? I don't know what it means though." He pouted and scratched its head. "Do you think she knows?" I didn't answer his question.

 

Huh... A beautiful flower at the end of a tall cliff whose thoughts and emotions are so far away that the people who tried to approach it couldn't reach it. Nothing could reach that cliff. Nothing could reach that flower. It was growing there because it didn't want to be touched. If it did, it would grow somewhere else. Quite relevant. 

 

"...Yet someone managed to reach it." Unaware of it, I spoke those words.

 

Some birds could go there. They could reach it. You could reach it if you learn how to fly.

 

"Huh? What?" Won Shik's eyebrows furrowed.

 

I'm not going to lose. I'm going to reach her as well. I'll do whatever it takes, even if it means that I have to learn how to "fly."

 

 

author.

 

author here~ lolol

anyways, i hope you guys like the update! ;w;

i might not update much soon since i'm going to focus on crépuscule because it's a contest entry.

so yeah. it's summer here and i know i have a lot of free time but some personal things happened. and it's hard to believe that they did happen.

it's really hard to find time to write lately. and it's hard to cope up with what's happening.

there's also utopia (yes vixx is having a concert here fck /trashes the place) on saturday.

but no-topia for me i guess haha (MY BABIES /SCREAMS)

i just hope that everything would be okay sooner or later...

enough sad talk! i'd like you guys to pay attention to some chapters since some future chapters might have references to the past ones.

also, this story might be slow-paced (i know myself ahaha) but things are going to get interesting at their second year

hope you guys comment! it makes me uber happy ;3; (especially at a time like this lol)

for those who are interested about the larva game, look up "larva heroes ". it's an app, i play it myself lol

thanks for reading~!