Smile

Faint Love

 

eighteen

 

 

leo.

 

Soo Ah and I were actually talking to each other. Everytime I would answer back to her questions, I would always pause. And every after I pause, I couldn't help but think that "Ah, this was actually happening..." Suddenly, I heard some sounds behind my back, I tried to turn around and to my surprise, I saw that Soo Ah was already facing me. Not quite, actually... Her head was hanging low, and after I turned my chair around speechless and in shock, she lifted it up.

 

"Would you like to be friends with me?"

 

She said flat out straight. I guess the practice thing was quite effective.

 

She asked, biting the bottom part of her lip. Her eyes wouldn't waver off mine, we had a staring competition. They were shaky and quite pretty actually, the scene in front of me was kinda cute that my heart skipped a beat. I couldn't stop staring at her... I bet she would probably be scared and all since my eyes were kinda scary... And my gaze too! Well, that's what they people always say. They would always talk behind my back or talk like I wasn't even there or I was deaf! Geez, I don't get people these days.

 

Soo Ah kind of felt awkward and gripped on her skirt, lowering her head. I guess she was disappointed and embarrassed? Ugh! I should've answered her earlier... Now I made her feel awkward again. Well, that was my job - Making people awkward. Like turtles. I was too focused on her, I guess. Without thinking, I smiled at her and let out a small laugh, "Heh... What kind of question is that?" I asked, grinning. "Aren't we friends since the start?" I then smiled without using my teeth. She looked at me and didn't utter a word. I kind of noticed what I did, I too was shocked myself. "Ah, I mean... Er..."

 

Did I just smile!?

 

I covered my face once more and felt like my doom was coming near. I turned my head to the right and avoided eye contact, while Soo Ah was still in deep shock and was sitting there like a statue. Yep, the impact was terribly bad. Did I just made a weird face? Did I looked weird? Uncomfortable? Ugly!? Ugh... I wish this day would end so I could bury my head on my desk and think about the things I want to do before I die. Don't forget your regrets too, Jung Taek Woon! I shook my head slightly and cringed my forehead in total irritation. I was so displeased with myself. Why did I do that!? I couldn't even take control of my own body! Dammit Jung Taek Woon! Get a hold of yourself... 

 

"Ehe~" I heard a small giggle.

 

I got my index and middle finger out of my face and took a little peek in between.

 

"That was cool! Ah! I mean..." Soo Ah covered , "I mean, you should smile more!" She grinned and chuckled lightly.

 

Ah! There it is - My heart disease! It's painful, it hurts, it was stinging so bad! I never knew I had some kind of illness with me. Prepare for ! My heart was beating so fast as I stared at the view in front of me - Soo Ah was smiling too! And the pace of my heartbeat was out of this world! My chest was tigthening and I couldn't think of anything other than that smile. 

 

Who would've known that the famous "Ice Prince" could feel this way? 

 

Feeling warm and burning in the inside?

 

I guess I am sick after all...

 

soo ah.

 
 
Ah...
 
 
He smiled...!
 
 
As soon as he avoided any possible eye contact and covered the burning part of his face, I blinked twice with my mouth gaped wide open and was still in deep shock. I never knew that he could make a face like that...! The scenery in front of me at that time was so refreshing! When he flashed his pearly whites, I didn't expect it - It was too sudden for me that I could have a heart attack from shock any time sooner. I felt light headed and I suddenly giggled out loud for the first time, "Ehe~" I smiled at him whilst he was covering half of his face, "That was so cool!" I paused for a moment and thought about what I was saying. I complemented him - Absentmindedly. I didn't even know I said that word! It just came out of me... 
 
 
"Ah! I mean...I mean you should smile more! It suits you~" 
 
 
I smiled at him too. His pure and innocent smile was the type of smile that could just make you smile, too. It was some kind of virus that could be transferred to anyone. I mean, clearly anyone would smile energetically without even noticing it after they would see Taek Woon. He blinked twice at me, ears getting tomato red - Cute! I grinned even more, "So you say that we are already friends...?" I kind of felt stupid for asking such question. I mean, who asks that nowadays anyway? If Ji Eun was probably here, she would be scolding me for using the wrong choice of words. But, oh well... I guess it was fine. As long as I know that we could speak to each other for now.
 
 
I should thank Ji Eun for this conversation training, maybe?
 
 
"Y-Yeah... I mean, aren't we?" He bit his bottom lip and looked at his left.
 
 
"That's great then...!" I whispered to myself and looked up at him, "Are you sure about that...? I mean, are you fine with, uhm, you know, having me as your friend?"
 
 
He stared at me for a long while, "Yeah... I guess, I mean, no harm done with being friends, right?" He spoke in a low voice and scratched his head, "I mean... You were the first, I mean second one to actually approach me and try to be friends with me. So I am greatly thankful, you know?" "Ah! You mean Hak Yeon-ssi was the first?" I asked, lifting my right index finger up to emphasize my point. Taek Woon only nodded. Oh... I thought, so Hak Yeon really was persuasive! "Can I... Ask you something?" Taek Woon looked at me, back with the usual pokerface plastered on his face. I was glued to his eyes, "Sure."
 
 
"...Why me?"
 
 
"I-I mean, why would you want to become friends with me...?"
 
 
"Eh?"
 
 
"Everyone calls me a freak, someone you should avoid of. And I don't usually show any emotions, and I make people awkward and fall dead silent in less than a minute. I am boring and dull and... I-I don't fit in with the other people. If you are with me, then people would think bad of you..."
 
 
"...And I don't want that." He whispered at the last part of his sentence.
 
 
I felt my chest tightened for a while. I was touched. "It's because - " "Hey~" Hak Yeon suddenly entered the library, nearing our seats. Before we separated our ways and finished the training, I gave me reply to him.
 
 
"Well, it's just because it's you... What else is there to not like about?" I then gave Taek Woon a cheeky smile.
 
 

 

leo.

 
 
"Well, it's just because it's you... What else is there to not like about?" Soo Ah gave me a cheeky smile as she turned her back at me and left running towards Ji Eun with a happy expression on.
 
 
I longingly stared at her back view, her last words echoing in my mind. I felt like I was floating in cloud nine. Best day ever, I thought. Not only that I saw her charming smile which I fell for, I got to talk to her like I have already met her all my life and even become closer friends with her... I felt like I've reached some kind of achievement. 
 
 
The best achievement yet.
 
 
"So how'd it go, my Taek Woonnie~?" Hak Yeon kept on shifting his places from my left to my right, trying to take a peek of my current expression and emotion. The usual - Pokerface. "Eh~ I bet you're all happy and spazzing in the inside! Come on!" He suddenly grabbed my shoulders, "Just tell me! Tell me~!" He kept on persuading, shaking my whole body all over. After finally calming down the overly excited man, we headed towards the classroom. As we were walking, I asked out of the blue without even trying to think of my question clearly. I just spoke it out, "Uhm... Hak Yeon? Is it good if I smile?" I looked at him, and slowly, his lips widened in a creepy way. "My Taek Woonnie hit puberty~!" He tried to pounce on me, but I dodged it.
 
 
Hak Yeon, for how many times should I tell you that I've already hit puberty years ago!?
 
 
I sighed and kept on walking, hands in my pockets. A small smile crept on my lips.
 
 
I hope that, starting from tomorrow, everything would be okay.