Support

Faint Love

 

twenty-five

 

 

leo.

 

As soon as we had eye contact, my ankle reacted. It hurts so much that I lost balance even when I was just merely standing. I stumbled a little. I just hope that Soo Ah didn't notice that. Embarrassing... Ji Eun waved over. Soo Ah did the same, but her wave was much more reluctant. I smiled and nodded at them. The team captain ran towards us and the other substitutes when time-out was called. He was panting heavily and his uniform was really damp. "Ha..." He took a deep breath and used his shirt to wipe his face. 

 

"I'm sorry Taek Woon, but we have to get you in."

 

I looked down at my ankle.

 

He neared me and whispered, "The match is almost ending. You can't possibly let me take Jae Kyung in... No offense."

 

I nodded and was about to go towards the field when...

 

"Taek Woon!"

 

soo ah.

 

Taek Woon and I made eye contact.

 

Was he looking out for me just now?

 

Why...?

 

I wondered for a long time. In this crowded place full of people from different schools, why would he try and find me? Why did the guy, the one who was wearing a blue jersey with the number 10 embossed in white on it, tried to search into this crowd even though he was running out of time? As I kept on pondering about it, Ji Eun elbowed me. "Hey, you okay?" She asked as I nodded. "Come on, wave at Taek Woon! He's looking." Ji Eun told me in a whispering manner. I didn't want to seem rude, so I waved timidly. I turned a little pink. The thought of Taek Woon doing his very best... To be able to see his cat-like eyes focus on something... I felt a little proud, somehow. I bit my bottom lip. 

 

Taek Woon then smiled at us, but it wasn't his usual smile. Not like he smiles usually. It was kind of... Off? I can't quite put my finger on it. It made me perplexed. "Is Taek Woon hurt?" I asked Ji Eun and she observed him. "I don't know?" She faced me and shrugged.

 

There was a time out, and the captain approached the benches. As I looked by the side, I noticed Hye Jin sunbae. I didn't know why my attention turned to her. It just did. She kept on cheering for Taek Woon, and at times for the team but mostly Taek Woon. I quite adored the effort she put on. Even if she knows that she's unheard of in this kind of crowd, she kept on shouting with her hoarse voice. So I thought I wanted to do the same. I wanted to support him, so he could gain just a little strength to keep on going. At least I did my part, right?

 

So I called him. With the words clear on my mind.

 

"Taek Woon!"

 

 

He turned around, surprised. Maybe I did shout a little loud - Louder than I could ever muster. 

 

I realized that... In this kind of situation, in a rowdy place full of strangers... If you want that person to hear you, if you want to be heard, you got to have to shout. You have to scream. You... You have to let it all out. Tell the world how you really feel. You have to be confident and care less about what the others would say about you.

 

And so I did.

 

"Taek Woon!!! Good luck! I'm rooting for you. You could do this. Even if you lose, it's going to be fine! I-I'll still be here for you no matter what happens!!!" 

 

Everyone's eyes were on me. 

 

I panted. Shouting made me exhausted, but whatever. I spoke my mind, and I was clearly satisfied. I looked down, and I saw Ji Eun blinking at me for a dozen of times with hanging. "Soo... S-Soo Ah, you...!" I shot her a confused look. I did it to everybody. While everyone, even Hye Jin sunbae, gawked at me, I realized what I had done. Even though I was really proud that I said those, the embarrassment came over in a few seconds. I turned red and sat back down hurriedly. "D-D-Did I just say that?" I asked Ji Eun and she nodded at me.

 

I turned to look at Taek Woon who was absolutely astonished. He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted back, "I will!"

 

At that time, I was sure of it... My heart skipped a beat, and there were butterflies everywhere.

 

He turned around and ran towards the field to replace someone. And while he was running, we were certain that his ears turned red furiously.

 

 

leo.

 

The second half was about to end, but the pain around my ankle hasn't. Even though I was in pain, I was kinda happy inside. The fact that Soo Ah cheered for me still hadn't left my mind. She tried to keep me focused but in the end, I couldn't focus! It was the other way around... I couldn't think straight and every time I would kick the ball it would go out of bounds. The words she shouted at me kept on ringing on my head. I ran towards the team captain, blushing. "You tired?" He asked me in between pants. "Do I look tired?" I asked.

 

"You look red, not tired... You okay?" 

 

"I-I-I guess I'm fine...?" I stuttered. 

 

"You might be fine but the scores are not." He gulped, "Let's win this, okay Jung!?"

 

"Yes!" I answered back with a big voice. 

 

The ball flew towards us. I ran, chasing it as it rolled on the grass. Everyone fought for the ball. I transferred my weight forward and passed it towards a teammate on my left. I felt the pain in my ankle start up again. I hissed; my eyebrows cringed. I glanced towards the spot where Soo Ah was sitting. She got startled and turned pink, mouthing the words "Fighting".

 

Truth to be told, it motivated me...

 

So I ran near the enemy's yard box. I waited for the ball - A midfielder from ours has it. We made sudden eye contact, and he nodded. He made a pass, I received it. Everyone was running towards my spot, since no one was defending. 

 

There were only a few seconds left on the counter. I took a deep breath and chose an open side to shoot. I kicked it - the crowd roared - and we won.

 

We actually won.