Conversations

Faint Love

 

fifty-three

 

 

leo.

 

"Woah. Leo-hyung, you look..." 

 

Jae Hwan eyed me from head to toe, his jaw slightly hanging. 

 

It was the first day of the school festival and I had no idea that I would end up being the only one from our circle to be on shift today.

 

Well, except for Jae Hwan it seems. Though it's better than having Hak Yeon around with all his blabbering. Or so I thought...

 

"Yah! Leo-hyung~ I'll end up falling for you!" Jae Hwan playfully punched me around the shoulder with a wide grin on his face. I stared at the spot where Jae Hwan hit me. "You look so handsome even men would fall for you! You're chic, mysterious, cool, and with looks like that? Aish!" I ignored his every word and fixed my collar, "How'd you get here? We're still closed." I turned my back at him and looked for my black coat that was placed on the backrest of a chair near the windows. I wondered why Jae Hwan got inside the classroom when it was strictly told that we can't let people in before opening time. "I'm so glad Hak Yeon-hyung and I agreed on the butler café thing." He chuckled to himself and didn't even answer my question. "And who told you that it's fine to call me "Leo"?" I groaned under my breath. "Eh." Jae Hwan shrugged. "Just... Aren't you supposed to be in your own classroom?" I asked and looked straight at him.

 

"It's not yet opening time, you know?"

 

Yes Jae Hwan. I know. 

 

I sighed and buttoned the coat into place. "Oh! You do know that we're having a haunted house, right? I'm going to scare them 'till death!" The latter kept on talking. I kept on ignoring him and because of that, he looked like he was talking to himself. I paced around the place and tried to find a mirror, I ended up going to the back part of the classroom where the "kitchen" was. A curtain separated it from the dining area. Jae Hwan followed suit and refused to leave me alone. The others who were on duty today greeted Jae Hwan which made me confused. How was he able to befriend a lot of people in a short span of time? I took a deep breath in front of my reflection and fixed my hair, which was later on also complimented by Jae Hwan.

 

"Ooh! Leo-hyung, you suit that hairstyle too! If Soo Ah-ssi were to see you right now, she'll definitely fall for you. And because you two have mutual feelings and all that, you'll end up getting married in the future and - "

 

Hearing Soo Ah's name made me flush deep red and it automatically made my hands stop fixing my hair which was pushed back and gelled into place. The hairstyle was so elegantly fixed, making me look like an adult from the 90's. Because I heard her name, I completely spaced out and didn't even hear half of Jae Hwan's sentence anymore. Yeah... I do wonder. What if she was here today? I wonder what she'll say, or do, or even anything. If Jae Hwan himself said that he nearly fell for me because of how I looked today then...

 

Then will Soo Ah fall for me as well?

 

"Hah..." I sighed. What am I thinking? Psh. Like that'll happen. I look like an idiot in a suit.

 

"Yah, did you even listen to me?" The juvenile one kept on tapping my shoulder. I adjusted my tie and while I was doing so, I spoke with him, "Go away." I beckoned, but he still didn't do so. I pulled the curtain to make way as I exited that area of the classroom. "Where'd you heard that nickname from?"

 

"Hmm? What?" The guy with a big nose tilted his head and blinked his puppy-like eyes.

 

"Leo." I said.

 

"Ah! I heard Hak Yeon-hyung call you that the other day, so I've decided to do the same. It actually suits you." He smiled.

 

Geez, don't just decide things out of nowhere... I sighed when something distracted the younger, "Oh look! There's a lot of people outside and it's still early! I'm excited now~" He chirped as he stared out the window.

 

"Hah..." I took a deep breath. I've been sighing a whole lot today, and I don't know if I'll be able to do well on my shift later. My mind is occupied.

 

It's only been a day and I miss Soo Ah already.

 

 

"Welcome home, Master." I bowed a bit at a group of girls standing in front of the classroom's entryway. The corridor was packed with students and people from other schools, and the sight makes me suffocate. No... Let's just endure this for now.

 

"Taek Woon! You have to say it louder!" A classmate of mine showed up from behind and patted my back. I clicked my tongue in secret. I looked to the side, heaved some air, puffed my cheeks and then released the air I gathered to relax my senses. I repeated myself, this time, with a slightly louder and clearer voice. "Welcome home, Master." 

 

The group of girls in front of me gazed at me for a whole minute. I mean, yeah, who wouldn't stare at someone calling them "Master"? This is ridiculous. "A table for four?" I asked and they nodded in an instant. "I see, right this way." I gestured a hand, showing the way towards the classroom with a slight bend. In case no one else knows, I memorized a script for this. I'm glad I did. I walked ahead the group and lead them towards an empty table. I held out some chairs and waited for them to sit down. Like a true gentleman. By the time they did, a classmate of mine who passed by behind me whispered. "The smile! You have to smile!" I appreciate them helping me with situations like these, but is it really necessary? Well, I guess it kind of is since I haven't seen a person who waits tables with a frown. I sighed for the umpeeth time and shot them a small and soft smile. "Here's the menu. You can order anything you want, Master. If you'd like, you can even order me." I shivered with what I said. Don't blame me! They said that it was compulsary to say it. They're seriously insane...

 

The girls squealed before me. I don't know about them, but if I were told of something like that, I'd run away, not squeal in... Delight? Is that something girls would like to hear from a guy? I took their order and I'm glad that they didn't say that they would like to "order" me. I noticed that they kept on shifting around their seats. Why is that? I was about to leave the table when someone called for me.

 

"Taek Woon! You can have your break!"

 

I smiled when I heard of that. I looked at the group of girls who were frowning. "I truly apologize that I can't be with you right now Master. But someone else will accompany you, so don't fret. I shall take my leave then. By the time being, please enjoy yourselves, Master." I smiled at them, not because I wanted them to squeal again, but because I get to take a break. And that alone makes me smile in glee. I've been waiting tables for hours, telling people - mostly girls - cheesy things, walking briskly around the whole room, and humiliating myself. So I really needed this.

 

I walked out of the classroom to take in some fresh air when I ran into somebody.

 

Hye Jin-sunbae abruptly stopped her tracks and eyed me. I did the same. After a while, she looked to the side, as if embarrassed and talked to me, "Taek Woon, what's your class again?"

 

I blinked at her, "2-A?"

 

She raised an eyebrow with sass. I see she's back to her normal self again after "that" happened. "Right... You seem unsure of yourself." 

 

"What do you want?" I asked in monotone. I heard her sigh, "I make a list of all the classes and write what they're doing for the school festival." She answered. "...Aren't the second years supposed to be doing that?" This was the building for the lower years after all. "Ask the teacher about that." Hye Jin-sunbae looked irritated, "Anyways, it looks like you're doing a... Uhm..." She pointed a pencil at me.

 

"Butler café." I went ahead of her, "Or a maid café, or whatever." I spoke inaudibly. 

 

"Which one is it?" She looked at me displeased. "Both." I replied, and by the time I did, she took note of it in her little notebook. "Great." She said and turned her back at me. "Thanks." Hye Jin-sunbae didn't look back. I stared at her back profile that was, by and by, distancing away from me. I do sometimes wonder what she is thinking about. What did she feel everytime she would see me, or Soo Ah for that matter? What did she think of when she sprayed water on her face? What did she feel when I confronted her about it? 

 

What did she feel when she confessed to me?

 

I guess I'll know the answer to that when I too will confess in the future.

 

My thoughts were interrupted when Hye Jin-sunbae spoke up, still with her back facing me. "You know... You look great." She completely left right after.

 

"See? Even upperclassmen fall for your looks."

 

A familiar voice came out of nowhere like a bat from hell. "Anyways, who's that? Do you know her? Because it looked like it." I turned my head around to see a man covered in strips of paper and or tissues. I scanned at him from head to toe in confusion. "...Who are you?" I asked, trying to be sarcastic. "Oh yeah, boo!" Jae Hwan stretched both arms and walked on his place awkwardly. "I forgot to scare you." He scratched his neck and tried to hide an embarrassed smile that was forming. "It's me hyung, Jae Hwannie~" The younger showed some aegyo. Ugh, don't. Not with that costume on. "And why are you here?" I walked ahead. I've been wanting to get that fresh air I deserved, but it seems like it's not gonna happen any moment now. "Heh. I'm on my break!" He simpered. Why does it seem like every break he takes have to collide with mine? Is he doing it on purpose? I don't know what I'll do if Hak Yeon was here too. This combo will be the death of me.

 

I stopped for a minute to take another closer look at Jae Hwan. "...Toilet break? It seems like it."

 

"That's actually pretty funny, Taek Woon-hyung!" He nudged me at the shoulder. Oh look, and now he's back to calling me by my real name. And if you found it funny then you should be laughing! That's how it goes, right? "You're in a good mood today for jokes, aren't 'ya?" The man who was covered in tissues asked me. Odd.

 

He kept on following me everywhere. He even squeezed himself in a bunch of other students just to catch up with me. "What do you want?" I asked in annoyance. "You still haven't answered my question yet, you know." Jae Hwan pouted. I sighed at Jae Hwan who kept on insisting his questions unto me, "She's... Just a sunbae I know." I'm sorry Hye Jin-sunbae but that's just how it is... "What 's her name?" Jae Hwan asked once more. "Choi Hye Jin." I replied.

 

"Oh! Isn't she the one from that time when Soo Ah-ssi returned to class drenched and all? Didn't she do it?"

 

My eyes widened at his statement, "How'd you know!?" My voice got louder than usual.

 

"Ji Eun." He said with a straight face. Well that makes sense.

 

"Isn't she also the one who confessed to you?" I shot him another surprised look. Before I could even ask, he already answered my question, "Hak Yeon-hyung." He wore the same blank expression as before.

 

I've decided for my motto in life: Don't trust anyone. 

 

"Yah! Taek Woon-hyung, I want to know more about what happened that day." Jae Hwan's expression didn't falter as he pleaded. I guess he truly was interested. I exhaled to myself and put my hands on my waist. Knowing how stubborn Jae Hwan was, it'll be pointless to explain to him why he didn't have to know all the details. "...I guess she was jealous?" I hesitated for a while when I talked. It's fine to make assumptions, but they're just... Assumptions, you know? What if that guess of mine made someone misunderstand? And that'll probably lead into a bigger problem. Like with what also happened before. "Oh, I see. I mean, who wouldn't be jealous of you two? You're a perfect match!" The latter exclaimed. I guess I'll take that as a compliment...?

 

"But that still doesn't explain the part where she had to point a hose at Soo Ah-ssi." Jae Hwan looked up and thought about it. If only he knew what jealousy could do to people. Others had it worse.

 

"Who did what now?"

 

Jae Hwan and I both turned our heads around and saw Hong Bin batting his eyes at us. "Oh, it's you..." Jae Hwan pointed a finger at him while I watched his every action, "Hong Bing... Right? Your name sounds funny." He chortled. I had to hide a smile that was forming in my face. Hong Bin cleared his throat, "Won Shik sounds funnier. Oh! And by the way, it's Hong Bin." He smiled sheepishly and emphasized the "Bin" part of his name. Jae Hwan had to hold back tears by the time he heard "Won Shik". I mean, yeah, it does sound funny - "Head of the root". Now I feel like an idiot for finding that funny. "So, uh, you 're a prince?" Jae Hwan examined the other from top to bottom. He bore his eyes at Hong Bin's costume that had explicit design - The fabric seemed wonderful and it was adorned with a lot of jewel-like ornaments around the capeline. He also had an awesome looking sword. To top it all, he did look like a prince from the Medieval times, so I guess you could say that his face completed his outfit? If I were Jae Hwan who was wearing nothing but strips of paper on top of some black casual clothes, I think I'll probably be ashamed. Not that he actually cared about it. "Yeah. We're having a play. Anyways, about my question..." I spaced out as soon as Hong Bin talked again. I noticed that everyone around us were eyeing on us. I wouldn't blame them.

 

I mean... A butler, a mummy, and a prince all together? I wonder what the story is.

 

I gazed at my leather shoes to avoid people's eyes; and before I knew it, Jae Hwan already spilled everything to Hong Bin. 

 

I immediately raised my head and glared at Jae Hwan. "Yeah. That sunbae did it. It was a relief that Soo Ah-ssi didn't catch a cold." Right after he finished his sentence, I tapped his back. "You're not supposed to be saying things to him." I whispered. "What? Why not?" He whispered back, though I couldn't really call that a whisper. Hong Bin probably heard this idiot... "I see." Hong Bin nodded, and after a split-second, he turned his gaze to me. I stared back at him with a poker face. He turned his eyes away after a moment and bowed his head a little at Jae Hwan, "Thanks for letting me know." Hong Bin left us by the time he was satisfied with what he heard.

 

Great. I wonder what he'll do about it now that he knew. I hope he won't meddle in too much.

 

"He likes her, huh?" Jae Hwan blurted out of the blue. I blinked at his side profile. He never fails to surprise me, especially today. Jae Hwan might look like a complete dork, but he was actually kind of aware about stuff like these. Then again, let's not make assumptions. "And you're jealous." His expression swiftly shifted. And there he was, just a second ago looking as if he was longing for something. Hah... I will never understand this guy. "That's why you didn't want him to know." He pointed a finger at me with a wide grin.

 

"I'm not jealous. I don't like him either. It's just that, everytime I hear his name or see his face, it... It irks me. And I don't have the right to be jealous of him."

 

"So you dislike the guy who likes the girl you like?" 

 

I looked at him, finding myself nodding in the end.

 

"That's jealousy."

 

I sighed and shook my head in denial. I got my phone from my coat pocket and glanced at the time. "My break's over. I should go." I said under my breath and turned to the opposite direction, heading back to my classroom. "Yeah, sure. Leaving already? You're obviously guilty. Go ahead and deny it all you want, Master. You're jealous." I could hear Jae Hwan snickering from my back.

 

Yeah, I'm totally not jealous.

 

Geez, and here I thought I would finally have some time for myself.

 

...I wonder what Soo Ah is doing today.

 

 

author.

hey~ author here.

the half of this chapter is written through mobile,

so if anyone sees a mistake, you can comment down and i'll fix it.

i'll edit tomorrow.

(do note that this is totally not a fanservice chapter at all kekekeke ;3;)

won shik literally means "head of the root", for others who didn't know. vixx (mainly n) would always tease ravi about his name :3

if anyone if curious about how leo's hair looks like as a butler because i at describing stuff, click the links below~!

link! or link!

i still can't get over that photoshoot /cri

happy reading~