Spark

Faint Love

 

fifty-five

 

 

hye jin.

 

"What do you want?" I irritably asked Dong Jun who appeared like a bat from hell and started walking right alongside me with this mischievous smile on his face. To say the least, it wasn't actually very mischievous. That word didn't fit his expression at that moment in time, though to be honest, it was something along those lines. There was a much more appropriate word to describe it, and I couldn't put a finger on it. It's right on the tip of my tongue. "Do you know that kid named Jung Taek Woon? Sophomore, kinda tall, has this sharp cat-like eyes and milky white complexion? He's also in my soccer team you know." "Sly". Yep, that's the word!

 

I punctured holes onto Dong Jun with just my eyes; they were screaming the words "So what?". The man gulped and cleared his throat, realizing that his approach wasn't as effective as he thought it would be. "W-Well... I was just asking. Seems like you do know him." He looked to the side. "It does seem like I do, you idiot." I backfired and fastened my pace, the other tried to follow along. "You do know that today is the day of the contest right?" He asked another question that I already knew, again. "Why don't you just get to the point already? It'll make things easier for the both of us." 

 

"Seems like that kid joined." Dong Jun informed, "I wonder what he'll do, really... He can't score goals in the stage and call it a show."

 

"Obviously." I rolled my eyes.

 

"Geez, I just thought that you wanted to know! You should be thanking me." We kept on walking towards a hallway connecting our building to the lower year's building. "Well of course I wanted to know." I muttered under my breath, "What?" Dong Jun asked with this perplexed look on his face. "Nothing." I replied. 

 

"Anyways, I'll be heading back. Seems like I won't be able to watch my "star player" perform. What a bummer." He pouted and sighed, "I have to go do some things in the faculty room, so I'll catch up with you later, 'kay?" 

 

"Yeah, sure, whatever" I kept on walking straight. "See ya!" He exclaimed before I finally reached the courtyard filled with a massive cheering crowd.

 

 

soo ah.

 

When Ji Eun and I arrived at the courtyard where a stage was set up just for the participants of the contest, we were exactly in time for Jae Hwan's performance. It seems like he was the fourth person to go on stage. "What a disappointment, we didn't get to see the others perform. I wonder what they did though..." Ji Eun shook her head.

 

Is it so selfish of me to say that I am only here just for Taek Woon?

 

Of course it is.

 

But I am also going to stay until the end of the event to show support for my friends. Of course I wouldn't forget about them - the people who helped me get out of my shell... That's the very least I could do for them. "I can't believe that idiot joined! I heard he's good at singing, now I'm getting excited." Ji Eun said. I smiled at her direction and nodded while her eyes were glued onto the stage ornamented with banners and flowers. There were also some colorful stage lights to add some effect on it. All in all, It was a pretty sight. "If he wins, he should share some of his money with us! Or simply treat us something to eat after all this."

 

"Mmm...!" I nodded again in delight.

 

"If." Ji Eun emphasized. 

 

Jae Hwan finally went on stage, clutching a microphone near his chest with this sheepish smile on his face. The crowd was in an uproar, mostly on the left side because probably his class was on that spot. They were waving handmade banners with "Go Go Class 1-B's Cutie Vocal Jae Hwannie~!" or "Fighting!!!" written on it. The banner that caught my attention most was something with these words written on it: "Oppa! I'll go gay for you! Please stop being handsome~! Kya~" It made me giggle non-stop. Someone even screamed "I love you!" with this very deep, husky and manly voice. I don't even know if they're being serious anymore.

 

"Mic test... 1. 2." Jae Hwan cleared his throat and tapped the microphone to see if it was working perfectly. "He's nervous." Ji Eun whispered to me with this impish smile forming on her face. The whole lot that filled the entire courtyard was quiet for a while, waiting for Jae Hwan to finally rock the stage. But rather than doing so, he decided to pursue comedy.

 

"What's the favorite subject of a fish?" 

 

"..."

 

"FISHical Education!"

 

Everyone blinked at him. When he realized that it was getting terribly awkward - and corny - Jae Hwan decided to start.

 

"All right! Since it looks like that no one appreciates my fish jokes, perhaps you'll appreciate my vocal ability instead. Maybe then you won't be cringing in your places." He sounded awfully sad. 

 

 

Oh everybody call me, you call me
In the name of love
Call me, you call me, tell me your love
Though there are tears,
Though my heart aches
I will go toward love for my heart

 

Jae Hwan finished the last chorus of the song. When he did so, everyone rejoiced like there was no tomorrow. There were people jumping on their spots, clapping, chattering, and others were even laughing because Jae Hwan had this cute and funny face while he was singing. He had great stage presence; every time the transition in between the chorus and another verse comes, he would clap his hands in the air with a wide grin across his face, shouting "Hey! Hey! Hey!" and pointing at the crowd. He would even encourage the audience to sing along with him every time the chorus starts. He sang a popular song from the drama "The Heirs" that is a top hit all across Korea, so who would not know of the song? Especially the chorus? It was so catchy! 

 

"Heh. He chose a good song." Ji Eun was so starstrucked with Jae Hwan who waited for the people to calm down before bowing. ""Audience Impact" right there." I smiled. "Mmm." Ji Eun agreed, "His "Engrish" sounded cute though." We both laughed at how Jae Hwan said "cor" instead of "call". Oh wow, pretentious much?

 

"Thank you so much! Thank you, thank you! I love you all!" He said in broken English. Before getting off the stage, he said his final words, "That song is dedicated for you, Park Ji Eun. I already have Soo Ah's number, so give me yours later okay? Then you could call me, you call me~"

 

"Pfft." I chuckled at his words, "Looks like someone had a special mention." I smiled smugly at Ji Eun's direction who was aghast. "I could cuss." She said in an annoyed manner, "Do remind me to take the life out of that idiot later."

 

"I definitely will." I gave her two thumbs up.

 

While the latter was mumbling curse words under her breath, I could feel a lot of people staring at me. 

 

"What? He said he has Soo Ah's number?"

 

"He's kidding, right!?"

 

"Are they that close!?"

 

"Let's go ask him for her number later."

 

My mind got a little dizzy hearing those words. I lowered my head and looked at the concrete floor. I am fully aware that it wasn't Jae Hwan's intention to ignite up some talks about me, but... I don't get it. I thought I was over it. After all these time, I could chat normally with other people, I could have a decent conversation with my teachers and peers, I'm rarely even stammering anymore, I am now able to open up with others, I... I could finally speak with Taek Woon every day. The thing that I've always dreamt of came true. And... Yet... I-It still gets to me.

 

Seriously, Jung Soo Ah. Now's not the ideal time to think oh so negatively.

 

"...Hello? Hello?" 

 

That... That voice!

 

I lifted my chin up and saw that Taek Woon was standing on the stage. A fourth year who was apparently hosting the show announced his name cheerfully. The audience blared.

 

"You know, I didn't expect him to join this kind of contest. Maybe he just joined for the cash prize but it takes a lot of guts to sing in front of a whole school." Ji Eun told me. I was about to reply her when the music started and everyone became silent. And in that moment of silence I kept on hoping that Taek Woon, who was standing on that very stage, alone, with a microphone on his hands, was searching for me in the midst of all the people in front of him. I held unto that tiny glimmer of hope. I wanted him to find me, to tell me that all of the notes and words he would and will sing are all just for me. 

 

It sounds ridiculous, but...

 

Today, I have something to tell you
Something I couldn’t tell you before

I was happy even though I didn’t smile much
It was at least a precious memory for me

 

That moment when Taek Woon started singing, that moment when he hummed the very first word of the melody and our eyes interlocked...

 

Sparks were flying.