Connect

Faint Love

 

seventeen

 

 

ji eun.

 

I just hope that our plan would work well. We both want for Soo Ah and Taek Woon to try their best and be able to converse with people straight through. Hak Yeon also noticed that there was some kind of longing in Taek Woon for Soo Ah, and it goes the same for her. I couldn't believe our plan was already one step ahead towards success! The both have already the urge to try and connect, but they just couldn't have the guts to do it. The lonesome boy and lonesome girl were too quiet to speak their minds... So we had to do something. A little push to help them, yeah? If by then, it goes well, it would be a success, for all of us. They both want to be good friends with each other, and by that there would be no problems at all! 

 

...I hope.

 

leo.

 

 
Damn you Hak Yeon.
 
 
Though I wasn't used to using these kinds of words a lot, let's just make a pass to it.
 
 
I do know that Hak Yeon was just trying to help, but couldn't he just stay out of it? I would be very grateful for him if he did so, that was one good thing. I know I had been trying to find the perfect opportunity to be able to talk to Soo Ah and get my feelings across, still, this whole situation was very awkward. Not one would even bother to budge, even though our backs were facing each other, leaning against the back rest of the chair. I couldn't see her face, nor she does with mine. It was completely fine, but her mere presence was bothering me, and the fact that Hak Yeon actually made me do this, with the help of none other than Ji Eun of course.
 
 
Were they twins or what? They were so much alike.
 
 
Well, you know what they say - "Birds of the same feather flock together."
 
 
Then... I guess that was why Soo Ah and I were both in the same room and breathing the same air.
 
 
Great. By thinking of that mere saying made me stab myself, too. Karma ... "U-Uhm..." She suddenly spoke up while I flinched on my seat. The girl made the first move, nice... How embarrassing. "...I-I'm sorry about this whole thing. I know you're u-upset and all and, well, you don't like this but... I-It might be a, you know, good start for us..." She spoke in a low, cracking voice. I caught every word. Every word. I guess we are both of the same feather after all. I was used with hearing low and monotone sounds, and loud ones, like Hak Yeon's, would irritate me and I wouldn't even bother trying to catch up with everything. That is why I am more used with mellow and soft sounds and voices.
 
 
Okay Taek Woon, just think straight. Think that the one you're talking to is Hak Yeon.
 
 
"It's fine." Two word reply. Yep, definitely me. The library hushed for a moment, my eyes fell distant. I started speaking up without even thinking. It just came out of my mouth as it gaped open, "So... What do you want to talk about?" I tried saying in a louder and clearer voice. "...Uh, w-what...?" I felt her head turn around for a while and quickly back. I felt a small thump in my chest. "W-Well..." She cleared , "It's up to you, I g-guess." I pursed my lips a bit and tried of thinking of a topic. "Ah...!" Soo Ah, whose back was facing mine, suddenly gasped, "A butterfly!" I turned my head to the left and rested my arm on my back rest. We both saw a white butterfly fluttering  its wings as it passed by the window.
 
 
"...Yeah." I, too, gasped.
 
 
I took a small peek at her as she gazed in awe at the butterfly. Beautiful. I thought as I stared at her side profile. She had rosy cheeks and long eye lashes. A small, crescent smile creept up from her pink lips. I suddenly felt my cheeks burning and got back to my original position, covering my face.
 
 
"So you like butterflies?"
 
 
"Yep! I really like them... They're so wonderful and pretty~"
 
 
Not as pretty as you. Wait, what!? I flushed even harder. "Do you like them too?" She asked this time, I felt her anticipation.
 
 
"I guess I do..." I replied.
 
 
We were actually talking, for once, normally...
 
 
Maybe I should thank Hak Yeon for this sometime.
 

 

soo ah.

 

I wasn't used to this, not once.

 

Never in my life I was so close with a guy.

 

For half of my life, I studied in an all-girls school. I was so used to being with girls around me that when my parents decided to transfer me to a co-ed school, I couldn't even move an inch, especially with the lot of people around me. The guys were bullying me. Ji Eun said that they were just trying to get attention. I say they were just probably bored. 

 

It was totally scary. Ji Eun was right, it was traumatic...

 

But I felt so different the time I saw him.

 

Jung Taek Woon.

 

He might have scary and cold eyes, but his gaze was gentle and oozing with mellowness. I didn't know why people called him the "Ice Prince". Though I have to admit, he was emotionless... But his mere wonderful eyes would speak a thousand words. Funny, I felt all weird, especially when it was the first day of school. He was the only guy that looked at me like that, and sometimes, he wouldn't even look at me while the others did. A spark then suddenly grew into me - I wanted to know him more. I wanted to know why he was like that - Nonchalant and somewhat statue-like. 

 

"U-Uhm...I-I'm sorry about this whole thing. I know you're u-upset and all and, well, you don't like this but... I-It might be a, you know, good start for us..." It was more like a start for me, I guess. I felt embarrassed speaking up first, I sounded quite rude. Should I have let him talk to me first? I felt so ignorant... Totally unsure. "It's fine."

 

"So... What do you want to talk about?"

 

"...Uh, w-what...?" I turned my head around. But then I remembered the rule to not look at each other face-to-face, so I turned my head back again rapidly. I bit my bottom lip. I shouldn't have done that! I felt my cheeks burning and tummy churning in shame. 

 

"W-Well." I cleared my throat. "It's up to you, I g-guess."

 

The man I was talking to was silenced for a while. And then - "Ah...! A butterfly!" I gasped and saw a butterfly pass by the library window. The wings were pure white in color and it was in a small way, cute. "So you like butterflies?" He asked. "Yep! I really like them... They're so wonderful and pretty~" I exclaimed and asked, "Do you like them too?" 

 

"I guess..." He answered. After a few minutes of warming up, we were able to talk to each other about a lot of different topics. Like how Hak Yeon and Taek Woon met, the things we like and dislike, our birthdates and trivial matters. And to be honest, it was quite fun! Having someone, other than the person you are already close with, talk to you about just simple matters was much more fun than I had expected it to be. For once, I was able to talk to a guy normally... I was able to converse with the person I had been trying to connect with - Taek Woon. My heart felt light... 

 

Like the first day of class, when the cherry blossoms blew in front of us, dancing in the air.

 

I finally turned my seat around, he realized this and he turned around too, with eyes rounded in slight shock.

 

I'm sorry Ji Eun, but I had to break a rule.

 

"Would you like to be friends with me?"

 

To be able to connect with him - I was filled with joy and happiness...