Misunderstanding

Faint Love

 

fourteen

 

 

leo.

 

As I walked my way down the stairs, I passed by Hak Yeon-hyung with two other girls.
 
 
 
"Ah! Taek Woonnie~" He suddenly grabbed me while I glared at him, "Get off me." I shook him off while he happily clung unto me, "Yay~ You're back to normal! You were suddenly so quiet a while ago, I was worried." Hak Yeon frowned cutely, "I am normal." I debated. Did he actually forget that I am quiet in the first place? And I could be rowdy and noisy whenever I am in a bad mood? Or is it just because of him? "How'd it go?" Hyung grinned at me, awaiting for my answer, "..." I fell silent and scratched my head, "Eh~ So you answered her!? I never knew those were your types..." He hung his hand in the air for a high-five which was not responded to.
 
 
 
"Wha - I didn't...!"
 
 
 
"What's up?" Ji Eun suddenly blurted out. So they were the girls Hak Yeon-hyung was talking to... Wait, what!? "Taek Woon here has been confessed to~!" He spread out the "good" news. Oh joy. "Oh really!? By who?" Ji Eun joined the conversation, it peaked her interest. "By a third year! And I guess he said "Yes" since he's not answering~" I wanted to interrupt, but he kept on babbling nonsense. I just wanted to punch him in the face and shut his mouth with duck tape. Hah, how evil is that? "Omo~ Really!? Congrats!" Ji Eun congratulated me for no apparent reason. The whole thing Hak Yeon was bringing up was not true anyway! "Uh, excuse me." I tapped Hak Yeon's back, "But I didn't really - "
 
 
 
"C-Congratulations..."
 
 
 
A voice came out of Ji Eun's back. I turned around, and Hak Yeon-hyung and I took a peek.
 
 
 
It was Soo Ah.
 
 
 
"Oh! You heard?" Ji Eun grinned and moved away so everyone can see Soo Ah who was hiding behind Ji Eun all along. 
 
 
 
She heard?
 
 
 
...Eh?
 
 
 
She bowed at me, rather, the two of us. Hak Yeon just waved a hand while I bowed back, nodding my head. Beside Hak Yeon was a man praying that she wouldn't misunderstand - And it was me. "I hope she wouldn't hear of this." That was all I could think of the whole time Hak Yeon kept on saying that I already am dating a third year, but I guess it all comes down to this. She did hear. Great... "Who is it?" Ji Eun broke off the silence, "A third year~" Hak Yeon informed. 
 
 
 
"A third year!?" That's was what was probably in their minds right now.
 
 
 
"Woah..." Ji Eun gasped. Soo Ah kept quiet for all the while. I didn't want her to think that the type of girl I like is someone narcissistic with heavy make-up and a really, really short skirt. I didn't want her to think of that! 
 
 
 
I wanted her to think that the girl I like is someone like.
 
 
 
...Someone like her.
 
 
 
"Just to tell you the truth, I...!" My sentence just got cut off by the bell. "Let's go back now, shall we?" Ji Eun invited Soo Ah who nodded in silence. I wonder what she was thinking of... "Anyways, it was fun talking to you two!" Ji Eun grinned, while Soo Ah gave a faint smile and the two started walking away. "Save what you want to say for later Taek Woon~" Hak Yeon pushed me as we got back to class. Oh I will, and when I do, you'll be the first to hear it. I wanted to tell her that it was all a misunderstanding.
 
 
 
But I guess it was too late.
 

 

soo ah.

 

I was late for school, and I didn't expect for things to not turn my way.

 

And now, it was this - Taek Woon has a girlfriend.

 

...What would become of me? No, I wasn't jealous of some sort. I wanted to befriend him, and by that time comes, he would be busy with his girlfriend, dating and all. I guess he wouldn't have the time to be around with other girls... And besides, she would be jealous if he was anyway. It would be bad if one girl like me would ruin their relationship... But, what does having a relationship feel like? What does it feel like to have a boyfriend? 

 

I once read in books that when you have a boyfriend, you would end up doing anything for him...

 

That you would bestow undying love for him.

 

That you would totally ignore the world and would only focus on him.

 

In short, that's what they call love.

 

But isn't it too much if you sacrifice everything for that person? What if, in the end, you couldn't? Then how would it all end up then? I sighed and took my seat, the next class was History - The long and dreaded one. I drew circles on my table with my finger. I spaced out as the teacher kept on talking about dates and stuff that happened at that point of time. So he likes those kinds of girls, I thought. It was kind of unusual to be honest - I guess I just judged him with his silence. Even though I said that we were completely "alike", I take it back.

 

Jung Taek Woon - Just what kind of person are you?

 

I then got my pen to write on some notes. Although I wasn't listening to the teacher, all the things he just said were clearly on my head and all I needed to do was write them down. I took a long pause and spaced out again. Today, I lied at Ji Eun for being late. I reasoned out that I overslept - Well, I did, and that was because I studied for so long for the Math test that we didn't even take today. It was a let down. I lied to her again...

 

"Are you okay?"

 

"...Nothing. Just tired?"

 

"Well, I couldn't believe Taek Woon-ssi would like those kinds of girls."

 

"...Yeah."

 

"I mean, you wanted to be friends with him, right? I wonder if it would go smoothly now that he has a girlfriend."

 

I stared at the other building as Taek Woon and I caught each other's eyes. We made slight eye contact, my eyes squinted... I felt soothed. It broke after he went back to writing. He then lifted up what he wrote. They were in clear, big and bold letters. 

 

A while ago, it was a misunderstanding.

 

He put down the notebook and wrote on another clean piece of paper.

 

I rejected her, just so you know.

 

"Ah..." I whispered under my breath and gave a soft smile. He hung his head low and got back to listening to the teacher. "What wonderful writing..." I giggled. I wonder why he would tell me this? Maybe these words were the ones he tried to rebel a while ago. Did he feel relieved when he finally cleared up the misunderstanding? Because I did...

 

I felt a sense of relief in me. He rejected her, I thought.

 

But thoughts aside - I felt happy when I shouldn't be.

 

Today I lied at Ji Eun again, and to myself, too! I was worried about Taek Woon. And maybe, just slightly, I was kind of jealous.