Gathering

Faint Love

 

twenty-six

 

 

leo.

 

A few minutes ago the stadium was in an uproar. But moments after, it became quiet and half empty. We were victorious! The whole team was celebrating in the changing room. Everyone's smiles didn't falter. They all patted each other on the back, on the shoulder, and even the head, showing how delighted they are with the win. "Taek Woon!" Someone approached me. It was the team captain - Kwon Dong Jun. He gave me a big, congratulatory hug. He smiled endlessly the whole time we talked. "You made it possible!" He grinned for the hundredth time. He had his hand in the air; I gave it a high-five. "Thanks." I mumbled, letting out a small smile. Even though I wasn't smiling that much, I was really happy, to be honest. I just didn't show it enough in front of all of them. I was actually celebrating, jumping up and down in the inside.

 

I was proud with myself and the whole team... But we couldn't win it without everyone's hard work. Everyone in the team had put their sweat and blood on training, and it was all worth it.

 

And also, I probably couldn't have done it without everyone's support. Especially one person's.

 

"That cheering gave you the push, huh?" He nudged me while I took off my jersey. I shivered a little as my warm and sweaty skin felt the cold air. "Huh...?" I asked with widened eyes. "You know what I mean." Jong Hyun sunbae smirked. I pondered on it, my eyes not leaving the latter. 

 

"Taek Woon!!! Good luck! I'm rooting for you. You could do this. Even if you lose, it's going to be fine! I-I'll still be here for you no matter what happens!!!" 

 

I flushed, and the captain laughed at my reaction.

 

How embarrassing...

 

 

Despite of the stinging pain in my foot, my mind didn't let go of that matter.

 

I was completely stoned, but all I did was just sit there and do nothing. I didn't speak for a while... I was in a daze.

 

I wondered - Why did that one cheer give me the push? Why did her words renew my body and gave me the energy to do that winning kick even if my ankle hurt so bad? Why did my body activated, sparked, stirred, after hearing those words? Of all the stimulus that was surrounding me that time, my body reacted to hers... My parents cheered on me, my sisters cheered on me, everyone supported me... Hell, even Hak Yeon encouraged me! But why, of all those, Soo Ah's actually mattered? 

 

"I just don't understand!" I muttered to myself. 

 

"Hey, hey... Calm down!" I heard a voice. I looked up and saw Hak Yeon with a huge smile glued on his face. "Is your ankle fine?" I stared at it and nodded. "I guess...." I whispered. "It's time to celebrate!" He patted my shoulder. He's right. Now's not the time to think about such things. I stood up and smiled at him. "Let's go?" I asked.

 

We were all dressed up and ready for the after-party, and then there was Hak Yeon. He was like a child. He was too excited about the after party. He kept on exclaiming about how he would drink dozens and dozens of alcohol until he passes out. I told him that we were still underaged. "I don't care!!!" was all I heard from him. While walking, we heard a loud call. 

 

"Hey!" 

 

Each and everyone's head turned around. "Excuse me~ Excuse me!" Ji Eun nodded and kept on walking straight until she reached us. "Aren't you even gonna invite us?" She pouted.

 

 

I squinted my eyes at Ji Eun.

 

"...It's only for the soccer club." I said bluntly. I was quite sure that I heard a stab. "Really?" She raised an eyebrow. I nodded, keeping a poker face. "Then why is he here!?" Ji Eun pointed at Hak Yeon and frowned. "I am their errand boy." Hak Yeon popped his head from my back. He nodded, flashing her a silly smile. "Psh." Ji Eun rolled her eyes. "What kind of excuse is that!?" She stomped her feet. "It's true!" Hak Yeon answered back. 

 

I swear, the situation was really exasperating and moronic to look at. I sighed. While I was having trouble dealing with two juvenile "adults", everyone was enjoying the scene playing in front of them. "Everyone's having their separate after-parties! Why don't you go to a different one instead?" I heard Hak Yeon yell.

 

I rolled my eyes. "Enough already!" I was so irritated that I crossed my arms and shot them a glare. "The both of you are wasting everyone's time." I scolded the two even though Hak Yeon was a bit older than me. Soo Ah suddenly showed up and tugged Ji Eun's elbow. "It's fine. Let's just go..." I overheard her whisper. "Hey! Soo Ah wants to come too, you know!" Ji Eun abruptly clamored. 

 

By the time everyone heard of Soo Ah's name, they all jumped and begged me to let them come with us. "Why is it that Taek Woon is the one making all the decision here!?" Hak Yeon complained. "Because he made the winning kick!" One shouted out of nowhere. I also had no idea to why I ended up deciding for stuff. Maybe because I was the only one who knew these people? That, or it's just because of the winning kick...

 

 

Eventually, the two ended up joining our after party. We all went to a restaurant that was reserved after the game. We were really lucky because the restaurant was known for always being packed. Hak Yeon was sulking, but once the food was served, he totally forgot about it. He was devouring a whole lot. I was worried he would finish everyone's portion, too. I ended up building a fortress around my food with my hands, just to be sure that he won't eat it. Even though he was a picky eater, his appetite was big, despite the fact that he looks thin. 

 

People! This, I tell you, is an example of what we call "Fast Metabolism". 

 

I observed everyone else before eating. So far, everyone was having fun. No one was left out. I was quite satisfied; a small smile crept up my face as I raised my chopsticks and thanked for the meal. I started digging in, and, man! The food was really delicious. No wonder why the place was always busy. While I was munching on my food, I saw a pair of chopsticks sneak into my plate. I slapped Hak Yeon's hand and he frowned. I swallowed and said, "You still have some food on your plate!" 

 

"I finished it!" He groaned. "Aren't you full yet?" I asked him back.

 

"I want to taste yours!"

 

"Go away." I scooted far away from him. While I was doing so, I hit someone by the shoulder. "Ow!" I turned to my side and immediately apologized. Turns out, it was Soo Ah. She nodded gently and went back on poking her food. I raised an eyebrow, "You don't like it?" I asked. "I-It's fine..." I stared at her food - It was still up to the brim of the plate. 

 

"I just... Don't like parties, I guess?" 

 

 

"Oh..." I answered back with a slight nod. "I'm sorry..." I bit my bottom lip, "I guess this is making you feel uncomfortable." I fiddled with my fingers. "N-No!" Soo Ah shook her head in denial, "I don't want to spoil the fun." She grabbed her chopsticks and ate a large portion. My eyes widened with what she did. "...It really is delicious." She nodded, talking with full. At that time, she looked really cute. Her face was really round, she looked like a ball - A soft and squishy one. How adorable... I wanted to pinch her cheeks, but I resisted.

 

Wait, what am I thinking...!?

 

"You look cute." I suddenly blurted out of nowhere. She rapidly faced me and turned crimson. I guess she got surprised with what I said? I have to admit, that was also shocking for me... Brave move you did there, Jung Taek Woon. Too brave. She looked even more cuter now... What should I do!? I rested my elbow on the table and hid my red face with my palm. I averted my gaze to the side, while Soo Ah was looking down, her hair covering her face. 

 

We couldn't move an inch. We were too flustered.

 

None of us even finished our food that time.

 

We all headed for karaoke. Hak Yeon and Ji Eun was having a competition - The one who sings the highest note wins. The two of them were out of sync. The others were ignoring them both, covering their ears and chatted amongst themselves. My eyes were too busy looking for someone to even care about their terrible singing. I got up and got out of the room. I took a deep breath and inhaled the fresh air. I tucked my hands in my pocket and walked outside, trying to supress the pain in my ankle.

 

 

I looked up and saw the stars shining ever so brightly. It was a perfect night - A perfect night to hang out with everyone who were all b with happiness. I sighed and felt so relieved. I took a few steps forward with my head still up. My vision was glued to the night sky. I couldn't stop myself from admiring the stars... I felt my feet halt, and when I looked down, I saw Soo Ah sitting on the stairs. I blinked twice, looked to the side, and gulped.

 

Should I start a conversation? I asked myself. I was nervous, and I didn't know the reason why. 

 

My heart was beating fast, and my head was pounding nonstop. I was too restless to even move from my spot. Then, I've decided.  I approached her small figure, and as I bent down a little, I saw her unshaken, sleeping face. Soo Ah was probably tired she ended up sleeping. She was still - Her face was so peaceful and serene... I felt like I saw an innocent child, or maybe an angel

 

God, what am I saying again!?

 

I gulped once more. I sat down by her side and placed my elbows on my knees. I could hear my heart beating uncontrollably. I breathed heavily. I gazed at her face. My body moved on its own, and I reached for her eyelashes. I wanted to pull my hand away, but it's as if my hand was alive and I couldn't keep it together. "Mmm..." I jolted as her head slowly met with my shoulder.

 

Sure, the stars were pretty. But Soo Ah's face, being glistened by the moonlight...? Nothing's gonna get even more beautiful than that.

 

By that moment, I was certain... That the warmth by my shoulder will never fade.