Shopping

Faint Love

 

fifty

 

 

leo.

 

Soo Ah and I have finally reached the train station. While she was skimming through the list of the things we had to buy, we entered the train, and it was unexpectedly deserted. "It's a weekday, though..." I mumbled to myself and scanned the people on the train. There were a few, and I was glad about it. I hated crowded places, and I guess Soo Ah does, too. "Table runners... Aren't those kind of expensive?" Soo Ah suddenly blurted out whilst pointing at the paper. "I think so." I replied. The doors of the train closed, and we were finally moving towards our destination. We sat down and discussed about the things that we needed. "I wonder why we were chosen to do these chores..." Soo Ah fiddled with her fingers.

 

Should I tell her the truth? That Hak Yeon was just toying with us so that we could spend some time together? Alone?

 

"Maybe it's because we're the committee members? I mean, we have to contribute something, right?" I half-lied. "You do have a point..."

 

"Anyways, can we just ask them if... If they have table runners that they don't use anymore? So that we could save some money..." I suggested. "Let's try. Ah! How about this?" Soo Ah leaned a little closer so that she could see the list properly, her head in front of my face. I flinched a little and moved a bit backwards. That was sudden. Too sudden! Is this on purpose!? I tried to look far away to distract myself, but then something smelled really nice out of nowhere. It smelled like thousands of fragrant flowers.

 

...Shampoo?

 

My heart thumped. I tried to look back at the list, but there were raven-colored hair blocking it. 

 

She smelled nice... My heart was out of pace. I mentally slapped myself. It's not time to think about this. There are more important matters to think of here, Jung Taek Woon! Get your head straight! But, I mean, how could I not stop thinking about it when she won't move out of my sight? As long as her head is in front of me, the pleasant scent won't go away. So it's not my fault, right!?

 

Right then and there, a voice came out of the blue. "What are you two doing being so lovey-dovey there?" Two heads looked up, and we saw a man with a big nose grinning right in front of us.

 

 

"H-How'd you get here?" My eyes widened by the time I saw Jae Hwan standing firmly on the train. "I followed you guys." He said, with another round of his wide smile. "Eh!?" Soo Ah abruptly stood up. "Why did you do that?" I suppose I might have continued Soo Ah's sentence since she suddenly looked at me. I got the feeling I did. "I have to buy stuff too, you know? So I thought that it'd be more convenient if I'm with you guys." Jae Hwan patted Soo Ah on the shoulder, telling her to sit back.

 

"How did you know that we were - " Before Soo Ah could even finish her sentence, the latter interrupted, "I heard from Hak Yeon-hyung when I was about to head out." He sat down and forced himself beside us, squishing us together even though there were a lot more of space to occupy. Don't tell me that that "Dark Prince" sent his peasant to continue his mission... The only girl in the group ended up in the middle. "To be honest, it was hard catching up to you guys. I got a little lost, but it was great that I got in the train at the right time! I kept on running and running!"

 

"Why didn't you just call out for us?" I asked curiously. 

 

"That would disturb your little moment, right? I mean, you two are finally alone together." 

 

I glared at him for making me feel so embarrassed. I didn't get the chance to see Soo Ah's reaction with his statement... I wonder how she reacted. I shut my eyes tightly and slapped it with my hand. "Anyways, do carry on with your, ahem, moment. I'm sorry I interrupted you guys!" He chuckled a little and suddenly got quiet, signaling the start for us to "carry on with our moment". 

 

The whole train ride to the market was quiet. And awkward.

 

 

soo ah.

 

Jae Hwan didn't stop talking about how tired he was with chasing us all this way and about his old school, how he ended up in the committee, how exhausted he was, about the things he needed to buy, their progress for the school festival... And, how tired he was of running. Also, he cracked up random jokes. A lot of them. 

 

And Taek Woon was out of it.

 

It took 30 minutes for us to finally arrive at the market. It was crowded with a lot of people. "In a time like this..." I thought as I gazed at the clock at a nearby store. We have three hours left before everyone goes home. Taek Woon poked my arm with his index finger. "Hm?" I blinked at him, "The list..." As soon as he said those words, I obediently gave it to him. He examined them for the hundredth time and counted the money that was given to us for the materials we needed to buy. I eyed him with what he was doing. On the other hand, Jae Hwan was busy looking around the place. 

 

"You two." He looked up at us. "Yes?" Jae Hwan and I both said the same thing at the same time. "Jinx!" He exclaimed. "I'll be buying the materials that our class need. Soo Ah, help that guy with the stuff that he needs to look for, okay?" I nodded. I guess Taek Woon wanted some time for himself because Jae Hwan had been talking nonstop since we got out of the train. I would too. I understood how he felt at that moment, however, Jae Hwan looked at me with a confused expression on his face. "Ah! But, will it be fine? I mean..." I stared at the list Hak Yeon scribbled onto. I felt myself frown a little. I understood why Taek Woon would shoulder it, but I would feel guilty if I didn't even help him even for just a second. It'd be a burden for him. 

 

The man in front of me smiled slowly, and gently. "Yeah." I haven't seen him smile for the whole day, but when I finally did, my heart calmed down for a while. It was telling my whole entirety that it'll be fine and I just have to trust him in this. "I'm counting on you, okay?" With that, he turned his back at us.

 

 

"What's first on the list?" The guy beside me asked. I unknowingly ended up dictating the things that Jae Hwan's class needed. "Paint." I said. "Black, red, and white." Right after I said those words, Jae Hwan was skipping with his this small smile plastered on his face. "Let's see... Where's the hardware store?" 

 

When the latter was searching for the place, I asked something. "Uhm... Y-You're not with Ji Eun?" 

 

"Why'd you suddenly ask?"

 

"No reason..."

 

"Well, she's busy preparing at school, so she has no time to join me in buying stuff. I went alone instead. Of course, with her permission and the teacher's."

 

"O-Oh..." I nodded. The two of us kept on strolling along the market, trying to find a hardware store or any store that sells paint. "It has to be cheap." Jae Hwan stuck his lower lip out and swiftly entered a store. I flinched in my spot by the time he did so, trying to catch up with him. "Anyways, uh, what's your name again?" My eyes widened with his question. Was he serious just now!? "Ah, I remember now. Never mind." An awkward laugh came out of him as the both of us bowed at the store owner and searched the place for the things that we, or he needed. "Soo Ah-ssi." By the time Jae Hwan called out my name, I looked at him in the eye. "I want to apologize."

 

"For... What?" 

 

"You know..." He scratched his nape, "Our first meeting wasn't so great, and it was kinda awkward. I looked like someone bad at that time right?" I think I have to agree and disagree on that.

 

"I'm not really like that, you know." He smiled widely by the time he found some paint. "I don't know you that much, but I do believe that you and Taek Woon-hyung are kind of alike, so I'm looking forward to knowing you much better from now on." 

 

I stared at him for a long time - At the guy who was busy shifting his eyes with mine and from the cans of paint. I kind of wondered as to why he suddenly apologized for something so small... Something small that I didn't even notice up until now. And also, why now? Why did he feel the need to do so? I remembered that Ji Eun said something about him. That he was an oddball. I guess that's true, because I just don't quite understand his actions. I don't know about the others though. While buying some of the things they needed that we could find, Jae Hwan couldn't stop asking questions. About, well... Almost everything.

 

About cans of paint.

 

About me.

 

About Ji Eun.

 

About how strange school festivals are with their themes and concepts.

 

About Taek Woon and Hak Yeon, though he clearly knew them much, much better than me.

 

 

I just couldn't stop thinking about it, so I let it out. "Jae Hwan-ssi..." "Hmm?" He turned his head around, "Why do you... Uhm, ask so many questions? I-It's not like I'm trying to be r-rude or anything, it's just..." I did some hand gestures, showing that I was in denial. I didn't try to bring up that Ji Eun said it herself, that he asks so many questions it's irritating sometimes. It would look bad on her side... "Yeah, I understand." He smiled reassuringly. "I guess that's just who I am." The man right beside me shrugged his broad shoulders. "I want to know people. A lot of people. Make friends with them, you know? And my way of getting to know them is to ask questions about them, because there's no other way than that, right?" He did made a point. I nodded my head, "Though sometimes I go too overboard, so it becomes too annoying. I know it myself." He smiled slowly. 

 

"Maybe that's why Taek Woon-hyung left you with me." Jae Hwan whispered. Though he spoke softly, I heard him clearly. "Is it annoying for you?"

 

My stomach churned. I couldn't help but say the truth when questions like that were asked, "...N-Not really."

 

The guy walking next to me while holding some plastic bags smiled for the umpeeth time. "I guess it depends on how you approach people, you know? The way you talk to them or socialize with them for the first time leaves a great impact on that person, and it will be embossed on them, well, maybe forever or for a long time. I guess I don't believe in the saying that "First impressions last". 

 

I couldn't quite put a finger on Jae Hwan's true character. But if I could, I would. He suddenly becomes too cheerful, and then, a while later, he turns into a serious man, though I kind of like that side of him, being open-minded and all. So he does have a reason why he was doing those goofy and funny things... Like that. In short, Jae Hwan lead me into believing the same thing, that first impressions don't last. Because the first time I met him, I didn't think that he was this kind of person.

 

I pondered on it for a while. If my first impression of Jae Hwan wasn't that good, then...

 

What is Taek Woon's first impression of me?

 

Was it bad? Was it good?

 

And... If Jae Hwan has a side of himself that I like...

 

Does Taek Woon have, too? Of me?

 

I also want to know.