Epilogue/ Special Chapter

Straight from the Source, Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jongin! I told you to put your dirty clothes in the washing machine two hours ago," I sighed exasperatedly into the phone. Just half an hour ago, I woke up to find the space next to me empty and a pile of Jongin's clothes wrinkled on top of one another. 5 months had passed since the day of the awards ceremony where Jongin boldly asked me to move in with him in front of the numerous reporters and audience. Ever since that day, we both focused on the expenses of living, the furniture we would purchase, and even our lock combination to enter our apartment. 

Jongin being the stubborn man that he is, insisted that he should take care of the details of our apartment and low and behold, a couple weeks after, my apartment had been completed vacated with only a sticky note on the counter top reading a new address and Jongin's signature followed by a couple of hearts. 

Both my parents and Mr. and Mrs. Kim were delighted to find out that we were moving in together and even insisted to give us a couple extra dollars to help with the new furniture. Words couldn't describe my excitement when I entered our home for the first time, completely furnished, the apartment holding a mixture of my belongings and his. There I found Jongin grinning widely as he welcomed me into his arms and spun me around and that's when I realized that he was just as excited as I was. 

The first couple of months felt like a honeymoon. Everyday I would wake up thrilled to see Jongin right by my side sleeping soundly. Every once in a while, Jongin would wake up before me and cook breakfast for the both of us before he gave me a kiss goodbye as he headed to the broadcasting station. Not once did he forget to give me a goodbye kiss even when his recordings were early in the morning and in the odd times that he didn't have time to wake me up, he left a sticky note by my bedside saying, I love you, don't forget to eat breakfast. I hope you have an amazing day and I'm sorry that I'm not beside you right now. 

As time passed by, we became more and more comfortable with each other. We began to notice more of the habits that we both had, and not that we didn't know anything about each other before, but we began realizing the little things that weren't apparent. Now, Jongin was becoming busier with his promotions and there were some days that he just didn't have the time to come home. The mornings that were once filled with the sweet scent of coffee and fruits were replaced by even more sticky notes from Jongin, apologizing that he wouldn't be home for a few days. 

Eventually, even the sticky notes began disappearing. He didn't have the time to stop and write me a small note or even call me because of his busy schedule and overseas promotions. It became normal for me to wake up to an empty bed, the closet door swung wide open and a pile of Jongin's comfortable clothes left on the floor. Although I didn't mind, I began to cook my own breakfast more and clean more of Jongin's belongings simply because he didn't have the time to stop by home and clean them himself. 

Every once in a while I would sit at the kitchen table with my scrambled eggs and orange juice ready to eat before dropping my fork and putting the food back into the fridge because of my lack of appetite. Could it be because I didn't like the emptiness and the silence that always followed along with my breakfast? I couldn't deny the fact that I missed just sitting at the kitchen table with Jongin laughing at the way he got upset when he cooked my eggs just a little too brown or when he didn't make my coffee exactly the way I wanted it. "I'm going to get it right one day Jay, just you wait," he would always say with a pout. 

Coming home after a long day at INB became less thrilling because I knew that instead of cuddling next to Jongin while watching an uninteresting movie would be replaced by me eating dinner alone and slipping into bed earlier than usual. Sometimes I even contemplated calling him at night, but I knew he would be too busy to answer or too tired to reply. 

"I know, I'm really sorry Jay," Jongin's strained voice spoke through the phone, "I promise I'll clean it-"

"Once you get home," I finished for him. I sighed again, staring at the pile of clothes, "It's okay. You're going to be tired after shooting your commercial, I'll have it done for you by tomorrow morning."

"Are you sure?" he said softly, "I can always tell the director that I have to leave early and then come in earlier the next morning."

"I'm sure. You don't want to keep the production staff waiting any longer Jongin," my lips formed a small smile, even though I knew Jongin couldn't see my face, I wanted him to know that I was doing okay. 

"Okay," he breathed, "I'll be home as soon as I can. Will you stay awake for me?" 

I bit my lip, "I'll try." 

 

I really did try my hardest to stay awake for Jongin. The first thing I wanted to do when I saw him walk through the door is give him a hug and say that I was proud of him for working so hard. But as the time passed, and the clock showed that it was well past three o'clock in the morning, my vision became blurrier and my eyelids became heavier. I awoke the next morning, the bed empty as usual and a feeling of disappointment in myself for not staying up later to see him come home. 

For the next couple of days, it was the same routine. I always promised myself that I could keep my eyes open for just a little while longer but eventually I would fall into a deep slumber. It felt like everyday Jongin was coming home later and later, and sometimes I even doubted that he came home at all. 

This morning I woke up, staring at the empty space beside me before sighing and climbing out of bed to get ready to go to work. I checked the calendar to see how many days I have left before my next live broadcast when I noticed a large red circle around today's date. "That's weird...I wonder why we have this date circled," I narrowed my eyes on the circle when I suddenly realized its significance. "Our anniversary is today?" my eyes widened as I grabbed my phone from the kitchen table to confirm the date. I cursed, realizing that it was indeed the anniversary of our relationship. 


Jongin couldn't have forgotten right? I wondered to myself, I better call him to wish him a happy anniversary! I quickly dialed his number as the phone rang countless times before his deep voice answered. 

"Hello? Jay?" 

"Jongin! Do you know what day it is today?" I giggled in excitement. This was the first time in months that I had been this excited, and the first time in weeks that I would be able to see his face. 

"It's the 12th, did you really call me just to confirm the date?" Jongin chuckled slightly. 

My smile quickly f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter