Final

Straight from the Source, Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Y-You're what?"

I took a deep breath, trying to keep myself calm in front of Dahye who was already on the brink of tearing up. "I'm moving back to Canada. And I know you want to know why, and I know you're going to give me hell for it, but I need you to just trust me. Please."

"You know I'll always trust you. I promised you that ever since I first met you," Dahye said softly. "As much as I need answers from you as to why you're leaving, I trust that you're leaving for a reason."

I nodded, pulling Dahye into a tight hug, "I'll miss you so much Dahye. I want you to know that I'm so glad to have met you and have you as my little sister." I could feel the wetness of her tears soaking through the front of my shirt as patted her on the back softly. "Promise me that you won't tell Jongin. I need you to keep this from him until after I board the plane and after I'm already on my way to Canada, please Dahye, this is the last thing I'll ask of you."

Dahye hesitated for a second before nodding her head, "If you really want me to, I'll keep your secret from him. Just...promise me one thing." I nodded for her to continue, "Come to his birthday party. He's going to need you there to support him when he takes over the business." 

"I'll try my best."

 

Flashback

Lee Sooman took a breath and collected the photos, “They want you to leave INB, and leave Korea.”

“T-They can’t make me do that! I’ve been waiting my entire life to move back here!” my voice began to crack  and the stinging in my eyes quickly turned into hot tears.

“You must make your decision then, but remember that what you do affects all of us as well.”

My mind was drawing a blank. How could something like this happen? My memory flashed back to all of the efforts that Mr. and Mrs. Kim put into keeping Dahye safe from the public eye. The efforts they made to keep their own identities away from the reporters and how hard Jongin has been working to live up to his family name. Could something that was built up for so long be broken down this quickly? 

"I'll do it," I choked back my tears. 

The chairman raised his eyebrow at me, "Are you certain? You have to keep your word, there's no turning back now."

I nodded my head firmly, "Just...please, let me stay until the beginning of the next year. I need to stay to  at least finish my internship at INB."

"I'll try my best to keep you out of the tabloids."

 

Author's POV:

"Are you going to be okay?" 

Jongin cracked a small smile at his sister who had a worried look on her face. He ruffled the top of her hair, knowing that Dahye would yell at him for it. "Mom and dad waited 20 years for me to do this, and I'm not planning on letting them down now."

"I know, but it's not what you want-"

"I have to make it part of what I want," Jongin grimaced, staring at the large crowd of people overflowing the ball room of the hotel lobby. From the corner of his eye, he could see the pack of reporters lined up against the walls, ready to capture anything that would make a good news story. His mind suddenly flickered to Jay. Was she still angry at him? How much longer until he would see her smiling face again?

Dahye sighed, catching Sehun waving at her from the other side of the room. "I'm going to go...get a drink-"

"Dahye," Jongin started. He let out a strained breath while Dahye stared at him confusedly. "I want you to be happy with Sehun. I've seen the way he treats you and he's shown me how serious he is about you. You're the first, Dahye. And I want you to know that I'm happy for you and him."

Dahye looked at him incredulously, "A-Are you serious?" 

Jongin nodded, "And I also want him to know that if he ever intentionally hurts you, he's going to get a beating from me. And it's most definitely going to be worse than the last time, so he better watch out."

She giggled before trapping her brother into a tight hug, "Thank you. I'm glad that you're okay with us dating, and you have no idea how incredibly relieved I am to hear you say that." Jongin smiled as he hugged his sister back, "And you should know that I want you to be happy too. With Jay unnie," she said slowly as she stepped back from the embrace.

"It's been so long since I last talked to her," Jongin muttered. 

"She promised me that she'd be here...to support you. But it's almost time for the announcement and I haven't seen her at all, and she hasn't been returning my texts and calls," Dahye down at her phone worriedly. 

"It doesn't even matter anymore," he ran his fingers through his hair, "I messed up...And she's not going to forgive me for it. I want to find her and tell her that I'm sorry, and how much I care but...she doesn't deserve to be hurt by me again." 

"Oh my god." 

Dahye suddenly began scrolling quickly up and down her text messages, ", this cannot be happening."

"What's going on Dahye?" 

Dahye looked up from her phone with a glassy look in her eye, "I wasn't supposed to tell you...but this is the one promise that I need to break. She never told me exactly what day she's leaving, but I have a feeling that today's the day."

"Leaving? To where?" Jongin grabbed a hold of Dahye's shoulder. 

"Back to Canada," her eyes began to water, "Listen, I know you think you're hurting her by talking to her again, but she's hurting even more when you ignore her. Please, go to the airport now and find her, tell her to stay."

"What? Dahye, I need to be here right now, they're going to announce it any minute-"

"You don't want this right?" Dahye asked, glancing at the clock hanging by the stage of the hotel ball room. 

Jongin bit his lip, "I...I don't want it."

"Then I need you to trust me, and leave right now," Dahye pulled on Jongin's hand, placing her phone into his palm. "I'll take care of everything, just go."

 

Jaein's POV:

Everything's taken care of. 

I never thought I'd be the one to say those words, especially after everything that has been happening during the past couple of weeks. But now, I can say that and believe that it's true. My internship with INB has successfully ended, without any leakage of mine and Jongin's relationship. Am I still allowed to call it a relationship? It's been weeks since he last contacted me, and in a way I was thankful because God knows what I would say to him if he really did call. 

After checking the news portal sites continuously, I was almost positive that news about Jongin's parents and Dahye wouldn't come up even after I leave Korea. I was happy. Happy that I could help Jongin keep living his life, and happy that Dahye could keep living hers. But why do I still feel bitterness. 

I stared ahead at the long line of passengers waiting for the flight attendant to take their tickets as I held onto mine tightly. I smiled to myself knowing that I was leaving Korea after reaching my goal of becoming a news anchor, after protecting the one I love. 

When I had told L about leaving, at first he tried to stop me. But after talking to h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter