Chapter 17 - The Position

Straight from the Source, Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You woke up the next day, feeling groggy and exhausted from all of the walking that you had done the day before. You felt a smile spread onto your face when you thought about what L had said however, knowing that Sunggyu would finally give you your position today. You yawned and stretched out your arms, jumping out of bed and feeling a lot lighter than you did before. I wonder what position it will be…Maybe the main camera coordinator? Or the lights? I swear if Sunggyu made me wait a month to let me know I’m in charge of the damn lights, I’ll shove a million of his black coffees up his-

“Morning!” Mr. Kim cut into your thoughts with his cheerful voice. You smiled back at him and picked up a bagel from the counter,

“Morning Mr. Kim! Have a nice day at work,” you giggled cheerfully and waved your bagel at him as he began to put on his shoes.

“Someone’s in a good mood,” he chuckled and waved at you as well, “And I’m obviously not talking about my son…” Mr. Kim raised his eyebrows at Jongin who was making his way down the stairs. His eyes were bloodshot and puffy, and his hair was a mess, sticking up in all different places.

“Good morning to you too dad…” he grumbled, making eye contact with you for a second but walking past you to go into the kitchen. Is he still mad about last night? I almost forgot all about it because of the news about my new position…

You went back into the kitchen after Mr. Kim had left the house, and found Jongin sitting on one of the chairs, pouring himself a glass of milk. He looked distraught, and even though his eyes were on the glass, his mind seemed to be somewhere else.

Should I say something to him? Or is he going to just ignore me…Aish, I don’t know whether he’s in a mood to be nice or cold to me today…In the end, you decided to just finish off your bagel without exchanging any words to Jongin. There were a couple times where your eyes accidently roamed and met with his, but one of you would always look away before it got too awkward. After finishing your last bite of your bagel, you stood up stiffly and cleaned up the counter to get ready to go to INB.

“Jay,” his voice spoke suddenly. You flinched at the sound of his voice, but turned your head to him anyway. “Give me your hand,” Jongin said, reaching out his hands in front of you.

“My hand…? Why?” you stared at him confusedly.

He rolled his eyes, “can you just do what I say for once?”

You were about to fight back, but decided not to ruin your good mood and laid out your palms in front of Jongin hesitantly. He pulled something out of his pocket and placed gently placed it in your palms as he got up and began to walk out of the kitchen. You stared down at the small object that Jongin had put into your hands before you realized what it was.

“A…bandaid?” you said slowly, just as Jongin left the kitchen. Why would Jongin give me a bandaid…?

“Don’t walk around as much as you did yesterday,” he called softly from the foot of the stairs, and heard his footsteps grow softer and softer as he went up.

“Don’t walk…?” you stared at the small bandaid, when your eyes fell to your blistered heels that were bright red and scabbed from the blood. He got this bandaid for my heels? You felt a warm feeling in the pit of your stomach and felt a smile emerging onto your face. Maybe Jongin isn’t that bad after all…You stuck the bandaid carefully over your blistered heels and continued to walk out of the kitchen, and out the mansion door. The entire time, you couldn’t help but keep smiling like an idiot.

“Today’s the day!” Dongwoo squeezed you into his arms as soon as he saw you walk through the doors. “I’m so proud of you my little Jay, growing up to be a real woman!” he fake sniffled, earning him a punch to the stomach by you.

“Alright, alright! I get it, now let me go so that I can finally figure out what position I am,” you laughed at Dongwoo who was now pouting. As much as you loved having the boys’ attentions on you, you were eager to know what Sunggyu had in mind.

“Sunggyu said he wants to see you now Jay!” Ailee clapped excitedly and grabbed your wrist, leading you in front of Sunggyu’s dreaded office.

“So this is the day that I finally stop getting Sunggyu’s stupid coffee…” you remarked and twisted the door knob open slowly, revealing Sunggyu who was seated on his chair, flipping through stacks of paper.

“Ahh, Jay! Welcome, sit please,” he took his eyes off of his papers for a split second and pointed to the chair that was right in front of his desk. You hesitantly pulled out the chair and sat on it carefully, not wanting to get onto Sunggyu’s bad side for the day.

“About yesterday…I had a little situation so I’m sorry that I had to miss work-“

Sunggyu waved his hands in front of your face, “oh don’t worry about that! We don’t need our new main anchor to worry about such small things, do we?”

“Well, I just wanted to say that I was sor-“ you paused for a second, taking in Sunggyu’s words before your eyes opened wide and your jaw dropped to the floor. “I-You-Wh-NEW ANCHOR?!”

Sunggyu nodded at your statement that was barely audible in the first place and passed you a slip of paper, “I chose you to be our new main anchor for the entertainment section of INB, what do you think?”

You stared at the paper that had your name clearly printed at the top right hand corner, with your photo and the words ‘Official Entertainment Anchor’ written beside it. You gaped at the paper and remained speechless before Sunggyu waved his hands in front of your face again to get your attention.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I paired you with another person so that you won’t get all of the pressure, being the intern and all” Sunggyu explained while you continued to stare down at the piece of paper.

“Of course not! I’m just…so happy that you chose me to be the new anchor, no matter who I work with!” you giggled happily, setting down the paper and grasping onto Sunggyu’s hands.

“Who is it boss? Who am I working with?” your eyes twinkled in excitement while Sunggyu gave you a disgusted look, and tried pushing your hands off of his.

“If I tell you, will you get your hands off of me?” you nodded eagerly  and he sighed, pushing his chair closer to yours before speaking. “Now as your superior, I thought for a long time about who to pair you with and looked at your relationship with others around the studio. I’ve come to a conclusion that you would be best paired with…L.”

There were no more words exchanged with Sunggyu after his speech, as you ran out of his office screaming in excitement. The staff in the studio stared at you like you were a mad woman, but you couldn’t care less. Your eyes scanned across the studio until you finally saw your target and ran full force towards it.

“WE’RE WORKING TOGETHER AS MAIN ANCHORS!” you screamed at L, jumping onto his body while his eyes widened in surprise and scrambled to catch your body that was airborne. You continued your fit of giggles as you pulled away from a very confused looking L and jumped up and down with joy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter